Redneck Brake Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck Brake Lights

I've messed around and waited too long again to do a website update. Now it'll be practically a two-day job, but that's a good thing with a duty week coming up. When I'm on call at work, I can't relax and I always have to have something to do to make the clock go around.

A whole different demeanor. Stoic. Serious. Ice cream instead of beer. Dream up a reason to go to the store, or whatever it takes to keep me (and the clock) moving. Tick-tick-tick. I don't even feel like BangShifting when I'm on duty, and that's just completely wrong, but that's what duty does to me. BS is fun, and for a week I'm just in the no-fun state of mind.

So, a parting glance from the pile that is in my inbox. Never try to outguess redneck ingenuity. There's a bit of redneck in us all, admit it or not....

Click image for larger version

Name:	RN Brake Lights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	878510
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Takes a special kind of stupid to add arrows so you'll know which way is up and down.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Takes a special kind of stupid to add arrows so you'll know which way is up and down.
      Yeah that's kinda what I was thinkin' but I wouldn't know how to wire it to start with.....

Comment

PW - If you're using a light switch for your brake lights you don't "wire" it. You prolly "wohr" it. Or maybe just hook it up. Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to replace the switch.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; April 2, 2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Cant believe I'm telling on myself but my tail lights stopped working on the TA and I did that with a toggle switch. Had nothing else to drive. I checked both brake light switches, flasher...... after over a week we found it was the turn signal switch . Seriously 87 ta if anyone wants to check the schematics. Just how much over a week I'm not telling
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Back when i was a teenager with the (how fast was it?) hotrod VW Bug, I really had plans to do that with the tail lights. Did everything but to actually do it. Tail light switch. On-off. So when I was running from the law, I could hide in the dark, somewhere.

I was an idiot. Still, am, really. Yes, for sure still am. It's fun being insane. There's not a lot of competition in the whole world when you're legitimately insane. Nobody else is on the same level....
            Last edited by pdub; April 1, 2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

that's how my 90 F150 was. the cab was so rusted out the brake switch could not ground on any thing
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

So when I was running from the law, I could hide in the dark, somewhere.
                In high school a friend of mine put a similar switch on his '65 Chevelle - if someone tailgated him he'd hit the switch. You'd see the nose of their car dive in the rearview.....
                Last edited by studemax; April 1, 2012, 04:25 PM.
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Moonshiners would do it so the cops couldn't tell when they hit the brakes... street racers would do it to play psych games, although I never got that.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Not gonna lie...did that for both a set of brake lights and a set of turn signals once...necessity is the mother of invention....or, lack of money is...either way...same same.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      Not gonna lie...did that for both a set of brake lights and a set of turn signals once...necessity is the mother of invention....or, lack of money is...either way...same same.
                      But... did you use a Leviton out of the spare bedroom in the trailer, and did it need a cardboard and sharpie duct taped on label?
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Sadly, no, I just half assed it...I guess I am just not that creative.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

At least the right form of "brake" was used. I love it when people put "break".
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

brake lights..momentary switch.
                            is this considered halfbutted?

Name:	pushbutton 002w.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	861279
                            feed it two live to gain 4 connections.
                            I want to make my own pushbutton ignition..

Name:	pushbutton 003w.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	861280

it came from my burnt chinese welder.
                            25A 250V
                            (I am almost done using every morsel that stayed alive)

now I need the cheapy pushbutton from ebay.

get ACC, IGN, and whatever else I want on either circuit as extra.

a relay to kill ACC side while button is pushed, and wallah.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 2, 2012, 05:57 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Had a brake-light killswitch on a '98 379 Pete I once drove...was wired to an un-labeled factory 2-position toggle on the dash.

Truck previously was owned/operated by some outlaw trucker, said it was for the state cops that would lay in wait for some poor fool trying to crowd it a little faster than they should...he could whoa it up without the brake lights coming on.

Thermal imaging kinda shot that one in the ass...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X