Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 comet

She is retiring the comet.

These days, most people consider themselves lucky if a new car lasts 5 to 10 years. Make it to 100,000 miles in your vehicle, and the car company might make a commercial about you. That makes 93-year-old Rachel Veitch a notable exception. Veitch is retiring her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente after more than 576,000 miles [...]

Happy to see she was responsible enough to stop driving. My mom is going to be 94 shortly and stopped about 6 years ago. She had a lead foot. Jay would be the right person.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I've got my eye on half a dozen cars at the retirement community I work for. Whenever I see the owners getting out of them I always say "wow, what a great car". I shot this a few weeks ago, nice older couple drives it around the village with only 79,000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	laguna woods cars 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	861281
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

My 93 y/o grandma may be retiring her practically brand new 2011 Impala. I bet it doesn't have 1000 miles on it.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We met Miss Veitch at the Carlisle All-Ford Nats a few years ago where she was appearing with her Comet. Nice lady and she was really digging the attention she and her car were getting...totally full of life. She talked Stacey's ear off while I was pouring over her super detailed scrapbook and maintenance records!

10-FORD-CARLISLE0078 by Joe Grippo, on Flickr

10-FORD-CARLISLE0076 by Joe Grippo, on Flickr
          Time Wasters...
          http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

the way cars ought to be.

local, there is even a disel rabbit that ran for pennies and twenty years..
            isuzu diesel hard chained s10 does the half a million in its first ten years.

my dad as one man and one rig went to 2million something before the odom broke..the company that made it was long gone.

changing perspective of long lasting is way too easy for me.
            damn..just fly on an old military plane where nature takes stabs at 500mph. England in 5.5...

7200miles in 24hours.
            stick that in a comet.

then when physic of engines actually exist to be long lasting..people walk by it and jump up and down for a gas sideways inline four claiming a million miles...oops that was half kilometers.

It is grotesque.

I am very glad seeing the real steel gage comet chassis go that far...alot more really can.

I remember once, my throttle stuck in an ice storm. manual steering subaru..carb hanging right out there in the atlantic ocean freeze (nothing gets away with it in that design)

at 150k miles or so the sherrif that stopped said it was probably time to give that car up.

looking at the boxer that doesn't need rings at a 200k tear down..and there he steps out of the extinct crown vic to tell me something about cars?

people are stupid. hang onto what ya got, ignorance is not miles...right to the freaking end.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 3, 2012, 11:16 AM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
            X