Kentucky Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kentucky Derby

So the hunter Jumper crowd doesn't use a bit?

K

Comment

Generally, a plain snaffle, and you never lean on it. Just a gentle lead. The actual steering occurs thru seat - this is a common misunderstanding. In fact, you stop a horse thru seat as well. If a skilled rider stops his movement in his seat, the horse will change gaits or stop, depending on the rhythm the rider initiates.

British race horses are a completely different issue. They are trained later and are run in both directions, so they're balanced. I'm not saying that there aren't some bad British trainers, but generally, they are much more humane than the Americans, I suspect partially because Brits tend to be OK with waiting - not as impatient as we are. Maybe that's why their cars are slow - they're willing to wait?

Dan

Comment

that's interesting... didn't know that...

I guess Geronimo didn't teach us much eh?... LOL

Hmmm

K

Comment

By all accounts, Geronimo was a hell of a horseman. If you look at native American riding technique, it's all in the seat. Remember, their hands were busy with bows and arrows, and later, guns, but they steered just fine. Lower leg plays a role, too, but not as much.

Ask Mark....

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X