Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life

So, long story short, life is pretty damned good. Ever since I had my first bad semester at Tech I have been waiting to find out if I get a field training slot for AFROTC. They announced that two weeks ago, and 100% of the cadets at my detachment got slots. This means that unless I do something wrong, I am on track to finish school and commission as an officer in the Air Force. For me this is huge- it means that I get school paid for and that I am on target for my main goal of the last few years. It's far from a done deal, but now it comes down to a matter of me just not screwing things up and not repeating my first year mistakes.

I've been pretty inactive the forums for awhile, so I just wanted to drop a line. Catch y'all on the flip side.

-Walt

Good for you Walt! Keep up the good work .... make us proud.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Right on, congrats kid. Hopefully by the time you hit your fist duty station I will be retired. Hopefully.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Congratulations Walt!
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Git'er done. When I was in school my primary focus was school. Secondary focus was job and roof over my head, and third focus my hobbies for my sanity. It paid off rather well so far. Free schooling is good to have these days.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Well its not exactly free school, you still pay but in a different way. Not that the USAF is a bad thing, not by any stretch of the imagination. The AF is a great job, and the things you learn from 4 or more years of service help you out in so many ways later in life. Doesnt matter if you are E or O. Keep your nose clean and your grades up and you wont get stuck with a job taking care of people in one of the units I was in. You could very well get a flying slot, which would be uber cool.

Comment

Congrats, man. Keep your eye on school and you will do fine. The Air Force is a good career if you choose to make it that!
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Good job Walt - keep the old nose to the grindstone like they say and you'll have it whipped.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Congrats Walt, keep your focus of continuing to hit those short term goals and you should be fine. The long term is always a combination of many short term...You're on your way!
                  Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

WALT!

You still need a V8!

Seriously, dude, NICE work brutha.

What kind of aircraft do you wanna fly once you're commissioned? I'll give you some feedback from the USAF aircraft maintainence POV.
                    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I'd actually like to apply as a Combat Rescue Officer. It's a very hard career field to even be considered for, but it kind of fits with what I want to do. I may apply for a rated slot, but I don't really have my heart set on flying for the Air Force. Flying is cool and I am certainly passionate about it, but I know people who want nothing else in life but to fly for the AF. I would rather that they get the slot if there is one.

On the other hand, maybe I'll see if I can get my commissioning date moved up a year and apply as a maintenance officer at David-Monthan to spread all the wisdom my four year degree gave me.....

Oh, and Tony- I took the plunge and I am now driving and V8 powered 1996 Tahoe.

Comment

I'm sorry to say all of your cars will have to go. No self respecting AF officer would be caught driving anything except some kind of sporty convertible.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Great job

Comment

Congrats, Walt.

I hope that my kid grows up to work as hard as you are. Awesome.
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Go get 'em kid!

Glad to hear things are cookin' along.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X