Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a good experience with Comp Cams tech support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a good experience with Comp Cams tech support.

Despite coming to the conclusion they couldn't help me, the tech service experience was definitely good.

I was inquiring on getting one of my OHC Pontiac cam's nitrided I was not only told that it couldn't be done, but actually told why it couldn't be done. Namely because the rust proofing process (parkerization) that was done to it already would prevent the nitriding from working.

So I followed that question up with if I sent them my semi-finished cam that needed final grinding, if they would be able to grind different spec's than stock on to it, then be able to nitride the lobes. After sending the factory spec's to them, and asking what they thought they could do with it, Brad Drake got back to me with the unfortunate news they didn't have the right stuff to make it happen. He did thank me for giving them a shot at trying though Maybe next time.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Delta cam in Tacoma WA

They do have a helpful customer service
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 4, 2012, 10:33 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      Delta cam in Tacoma WA

They do have a helpful customer service
      Thanks. I've had a couple leads on places who do grind these cams, I was inquiring about the propriatary nitriding to harden the cam lobe in effort to reduce the likely hood of cam failure.

Comment

I had the same result with the Impala's cam. I needed a small base circle cam because I have stock rod bolts on the 383. He hooked me up with the correct roller lifters and correct length push rods the first time out. He sent me a push rod length tool that I never had to use.

Unfortunately, I didn't get that same help with my cam in the Caprice.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll add Contreras Cams in Anaheim,CA to the list.
          I found them to be very helpful.
          A.K.A. Brian
          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

My engine builder, Jim Evans, uses Comp Cams almost exclusively.

They did the special grind for the 409 build and suggested the 4-7 firing swap
            for the build.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

good customer service means alot to me...if i get good service they will be the first call when i need another part.....

Comment

Exactly why I posted this. Turns out they couldn't help me this time, but when it's time to get a cam for the T-bird I'll be calling on them first.

Comment

my last cam purchase (a week ago) was a comp cam - for that very reason. They were very helpful in trying to fit the cam for the 455, but in the end I went elsewhere, but because they were helpful the Corvette cam is a Comp cam.

is it possible to retrofit roller lifters into the Pontiac?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Exactly why I posted this. Turns out they couldn't help me this time, but when it's time to get a cam for the T-bird I'll be calling on them first.
                    I plan on calling them for the cam on my Twin Turbo motor........

Comment

Comp is a leader in Cams a LOT of the Custom ground cams you will get are down by them and shipped to the vender reboxed and sent to you.

That said you might get hold of Mike Jones on your OHC 6 camshaft.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Comp Cams = Good

I also have had a good experience with the people at Comp, I ordered a XE268 that I wanted nitrated and got great service from them, the only thing is their shipping outside of the US is $$$.

To get a nitrated cam it must go from the grinding machine to the nitrite process, it can't get any other treatments put on it as this doesn't enhance the nitrite process.

When I was ordering my cam I thought it would be just grab a cam off the shelf and nitrited it and the cost would be about $110 more than the cost of the cam. But as they do cams in batches they don't have half finished (not phosphor coated) cams left so you must get a cam ground so it can go into the nitrating process (this is not the case with all grinds as some do come off the shelf nitrated) and getting a cam ground for a one off order costs a more also.

You may be able to send them your ground cam to be nitrated if they don't grind your type of cam.

To give an idea of what the cam looks like to me once it has been nitrited it looks to me sort of like aluminium black hard anodising.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                          I also have had a good experience with the people at Comp, I ordered a XE268 that I wanted nitrated and got great service from them, the only thing is their shipping outside of the US is $$$.
                          That's why BlackOutSteve used to ship the parts he bought here in the US to me, since that would normally be free shipping, then I'd package them up and send him one big box using USPS which saved him a lot of money!!!..........Ever need anything let me know.......

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            That's why BlackOutSteve used to ship the parts he bought here in the US to me, since that would normally be free shipping, then I'd package them up and send him one big box using USPS which saved him a lot of money!!!..........Ever need anything let me know.......
                            Thanks, again the helpful guy at Comp suggested that but I didn't want to trouble anyone here so I just sucked it up, next time though.
                            Last edited by 65RHDEER; April 5, 2012, 04:31 PM.
                            Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

Unfortunately, I didn't get that same help with my cam in the Caprice.

Scott, refresh me:

Exactly how long did your Caprice cam last before it went kaput?

I'm breaking in a new motor, bbc with a flat tappet...
                              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                              X