Paint shop purgatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint shop purgatory

My daughters metal shop teacher said he would paint the tins on the wifes Sporty for her.

Score! or so we thought. I tore the bike down, sent of the tins in...January.

The guy was less than cooperative during the last few months, trying to find out what the status is, where they are
    I guess finally he got tired of it all and finished it up and we got them back last night.

Now, dont get me wrong, custom paint is not cheap, and its not easy....and they guy dod a really nice job.

The price he charged was about 100 bucks, enough to cover the cost of the materials.

Should I be irritated that it took so freaking long to paint some flames and a few other do-dads? Or should I
    be grateful that the cost was so low and the quality so good? Seems to me a guy of this caliber shoulda been able to knock this project out in a few days...I am guessing this may be why his garage failed.

what say you...any pain shop hell stories?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Handed a car to a body shop to paint your car that isn't an insurance claim is asking for body shop purgatory. Buddy deals often requires much more patience. It'll get push to the back of the line whenever there is a bill paying job around.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      Handed a car to a body shop to paint your car that isn't an insurance claim is asking for body shop purgatory. Buddy deals often requires much more patience. It'll get push to the back of the line whenever there is a bill paying job around.
      thats just it, I offered to pay, he didnt want it...and he doesnt have his own shop...it went out of business...wonder why.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Even if HE was doing it, it seems that jobs in and around anything involving a tech school SLOW down. Projects I was involved in in HS for customers took forever, items I've had done by schools took forever, items for my college club team, took forever. Usually something was even being given/done in return. But hey, you got cheap shiny parts out of your time. Just think if it was those months back in PA you wouldn't have been riding anyway.
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

locally,
          that turns into a gunfight and death and stuff.

all for 1500 bucks dumped into the old chevy.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

get em back and take them to earl scheibs

Comment

be happy you got your parts back, along with fresh paint on them
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

You got them all back...SCORE!
                Looks nice...Score!

Took mine to the shop teacher at the deaf school here, never saw my saddle bag tops again...
                Otherwise..he did an exceptional job!
                Why did HIS body shop fail too?

Guess them that can't do, teach

Comment

yep. be happy you got them back and they look good... let alone the fact it was very inexpensive!

artists are funny folks, sometimes they get sidetracked... and this seems to describe the actions of an artist.

i thought i was picking an artist when i had my ride painted yrs ago... i got a con man who worked weekends as a hack, and a &iss poor hack at that. and he charged me an arm and half a leg...sounds like your tins will make your ride pretty, good score.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

January to April? That isnt that long considering he has a day job, probably a family life, and other commitments. If it looks good and was cheap, then its a good deal even if it took a couple months.

As someone who owned and operated a shop I can tell you lots of different things come into play. You can be the best at what you do and still have a business go under. You can be the worst hack and never close. Sure it isnt probable, but it is possible and it depends on where you are, what you do, what the customers are like, and how well they pay their bills. My shop went under because people started coming by and taking their cars with the spare set of keys they had. Ended up owing parts shops almost $10k because of that crap. I wish I had more customers from south of the border or Asia, they paid cash, never tried to steal from me, and didnt try to make payments on a $150 job. Im not terrible, and I am not the best at what I do, but circumstances being what they were, my business went tango uniform and I went back to the AF so I didnt have to deal with idiots and thieves.

Comment

back in time to ride... really nice job, cheap. Be thankful!

Hey Joe, do you have a brother name Dave?
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

only 3 months to get something back from the bodyshop?

of course, I'm going to preface this response with a fact - I'm in Seattle, we just saw the sun for the first time since August yesterday - so why do you need your motorcycle back so quick?

So yes, be grateful; they'll be plenty of folks (err relatives) who will take your stuff and do nothing for years, then sell your stuff, and tell you more lies about "having the work done." - of course, I'm just hypothetically speaking
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 8, 2012, 08:11 AM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I hate to say it I can sorta understand. I'm an electrician, use to have my own business years ago. What happens when you do side work, everybody wants it done cheap. It still costs a money to do the work plus the time involved. When you start to do jobs on the side, it's in off hours that tends to make it difficult to go out and get material and I find I spend sooo much time running around getting material along with making multiple trips to finish a small job, I end up loosing money. I really hate doing side work as far as running around to peoples houses, so I avoid it as much as possible. It gets very frustrating.

It would be different if I had a full time business with all the material and tools on hand where I could whip it out quickly off the books though.
                          Last edited by Huskinhano; April 9, 2012, 06:00 AM.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

He set the price...not me. My wife is happy with the work. The tins were perfect when he got them so its not like he had any work to do other than the air brush work. If it were my bike I would be irked if I handed off shit to someone who volunteered the work, set the price...then sat on them. But like I pointed out to the wife....she woulda been into this work for at least 800 bucls...so....she's happy now that I got it all back together and its runnning again. I will post up some pics of the work later.

And I do not have a brother....only child.

Comment

You got nice work done at a great price and all it really cost you was time. Probably time where you wouldn't be riding the bike anyway due to the weather. I'd say be happy and forget about it.
                              I did a similar thing when I got the car painted. Took it to a friend of a friend who does marine painting. Winter time he is dead, has no work so I asked him to paint the car. I got a great deal he got some money when he normally wouldn't and we both walked away happy. All I told him was I wanted the car back for summer which worked for him because that's when he gets busy to.
                              If you want great deals sometimes you have to compromise on other things
                              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X