Battery Lab Explosion at GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Lab Explosion at GM

A good friend of mine from college works in this lab, but he is okay.

WXYZ, the local Detroit ABC affiliate, reports that there has been an explosion at a battery lab facility on the campus of GM's Technical Center in Warren. Two people have been injured and were taken to nearby hospitals and all employees have been evacuated from that building.

WXYZ, the local Detroit ABC affiliate, reports that there has been an explosion at a battery lab facility on the campus of GM's Technical Center in Warren. Two people have been injured and were taken to nearby hospitals and all employees have been evacuated from that building.

The Warren Fire Department reports that there was a lithium battery explosion at a lab on campus — no word yet on whether it was a Chevy Volt battery but the risk of battery fires in post-crash Chevrolet Volts was recently investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson testified before the federal agency. But, NHTSA closed the investigation in January and released a finding showing no safety issues.

The Detroit News has the following statement from GM:

"We're aware of an incident this morning at one of our labs at the GM Tech Center that required a fire and emergency response," said GM spokesman Greg Martin. "All employees are accounted for, and we're trying to learn more details and we'll share them when we can."

UPDATE: One Jalopnik commenter tells us:

This is the same building where I work. The explosion was down the hall from my lab about 200 feet. I have a friend that works in the battery lab, hopefully he's alright and not one of the injured ones. I will provide details as I learn them.

But thanks to the sheer size of the mile-long complex, some, like those in design, didn't hear a thing, as another Jalopnik commenter replied back:

damn, im in design, didn't even hear about it.....is this the building where they do weather testing also?

If you were also on scene at GM's Warren Tech Center at the time of the explosion, share your stories in the comments below and we'll pull them up here to highlight what you saw, heard and experienced.

UPDATE 2: The Detroit Free Press now says:

A woman working in a battery research laboratory was taken to St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit, Warren Fire Commissioner Wilburt (Skip) McAdams said.

"She is conscious; she's in a lot of pain. She's a ‘Priority 2,' which means she has life-threatening injuries," McAdams said.

GM said in a statement that five people were "being evaluated on scene by medical personnel." GM spokesman Greg Martin declined to call it an explosion.

Smoke throughout the multi-lab building forced the evacuation of about 80 workers. A Free Press reporter this morning was denied access to the facility, which is subject to intense security due to the proprietary nature of product development.

GM released a statement at 11 a.m. saying the incident was "unrelated to the Chevrolet Volt or any other production vehicle."
    Last edited by daved931; April 11, 2012, 11:49 AM.

Assuming they're Lithium batteries... They are EXTREMELY explosive. My mom worked at Gould Foils Division when it were in Cleveland. They made Lithium batteries, & had (controllable) fires all the time. They had the resources to put their fires out immediately, GM obviously did not.

Comment

Ouch - I hope the injured folks heal quickly and GM can figure out what happened and put in measures to reduce the risk of it hapening again.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I am definitely not buying a Volt. Yikes.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's not just the volt (GM is denying it was Volt battery at this point)

Friends of ours lost thier attached garage to a fire that was traced to rechargeable batteries for remote control cars.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Energy density is good for light weight and long life. Not so good when it decides to release uncontrollably. The Navy has learned some tough lessons with lithium batteries. http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/1...sfire_120908w/

Some people where I am currently working are studying crashworthiness of lithium ion batteries. This research is sponsored in part by the automotive industry.
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Sorry to hear of this. When I worked for GM they were CRAZY about safety stuff and this is why. They plan for every forseeable possibility but the unforseeable ones will get you every time.

Best of luck to all involved.

Dan

Comment

quote from this article - Hope everyone who was injured heals completely.... god bless.

"Warren Mayor Jim Fouts said he was told by Warren Fire Department officials that fumes from hydrogen sulfide caused an explosion inside a battery laboratory. A man who suffered a concussion and chemical damage to his skin was apparently outside a containment area where tests were being conducted on a prototype battery, Fouts said.

"It was a major explosion," Fouts told Reuters. "At least one eight-inch (thick) door was blown out. What could have been a major catastrophic event was not so because of the quick work of the Warren Fire Department and GM officials."

The explosion also blew out at least three windows and, according to Fouts, about 80 people in the building had to be evacuated.

GM officials declined to comment on Fouts' statements.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1rmHN5Jfx
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

that said... why the #ell are we putting lithium in cars, LOTS of lithuim..... has anyone seen lithium burn in person? its a scary element.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Gasoline burns pretty healthily too.......
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Guess they got a little more research to do on that Cold Fusion battery.............

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                        that said... why the #ell are we putting lithium in cars, LOTS of lithuim..... has anyone seen lithium burn in person? its a scary element.
                        Are you trying to say to go light a Lithium battery on fire??......... I got a couple of dead ones I can try out..........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                          Are you trying to say to go light a Lithium battery on fire??......... I got a couple of dead ones I can try out..........
                          Even the dead ones are considered dangerous. We have to bag each one individualy and keep them in a separate hazardous waste container away from normal alkaline batteries. I gather that a dead LI-IO battery still has enough juice left in it to get all hot and bothered if it comes into improper contact with another one. We go through a LOT of little baggies disposing of these things.

Comment

Aren't lithium batteries in those cell phones that we carry next to our nuts in the pocket, and stick next to our brains when we talk on them?
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Aren't lithium batteries in those cell phones that we carry next to our nuts in the pocket, and stick next to our brains when we talk on them?
                              Yup....Dell had a problem with laptop LI-ION batteries blowing up a while back as well. Frakin things are everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X