Gas gougers at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gougers at it again

This just hit here in the canadian prairies today so I imagine it will hit you down south shortly. Gas jumped to $1.32 a liter today (which converts to about $6.00 a gallon) and thats for regular! :o premium is about $1.45 ($6.60 per gallon), the 383 stroker going into my Nova may be not as gnarly as I wanted so I can afford to drive the thing :-\ I'm hoping you guys have it a little easier but the powers that be are getting on my nerves >

Re: Gas gougers at it again

its anywhere in between 3.75 and 4.00 a gallon here in socal

Comment

6.00 a gallon, whoa. If it gets that high here in SoCal/SFV/LA people somewhere will riot.

Comment

My last tank was $3.48 a gallon
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I love it...the government taxes the hell out of gas and makes more per gallon in the US than the gas companies do, for doing NOTHING.
          They cave in to the tree huggers and refuse to let any new refineries be built in the last 20-30 years. Population has increased in 25 years...roads and highways have been widened, built and expanded in the last 25 years, more homes have been built in the last 25 years, but Heavens to Betsy NO--let's not let them build the refineries that produce the life blood of the country! We'll keep that the same, because we have no concept of how business works, the free market economy or supply and demand. Besides, we can buy it from the rest of the world, sending our money over seas and help pull other parts of the world out of poverty.
          They cave in to tree huggers and idiots who won't let them drill in ANWAR, even though ANWAR WAS BOUGHT TO BE DRILLED IN! The area was specifically set aside to drill, it's an incredibly small area in the huge forest, and history has proven via the Alaskan Pipe Line that the caribou they're worried about disturbing will adapt and even thrive.

And everyone is pissed at the oil companies, because A) they're in a business to make money B) they are benefiting from the core of the free market economy principle of Supply and Demand and C) they've made the best of having their hands tied.

Anybody stop to think what happens when our government makes producing gas unprofitable? Business doesn't exist to give money away. Those organizations are called "Charities." Once a business stops being profitable, it shuts its doors.

A lot of situations in life are like a painful trip to the dentist: we put it off, living with pain and discomfort because we don't want to put up with 20 minutes of extreme unpleasantness in the chair, even though the reward is years of pain-free living.

I'd be happy to see Hillary et al go after the oil companies with their Windfall Profits Tax scheme, and have the execs of all the major oil companies stroll into Congress and say "Great. You win. We can't produce our product and make a profit anymore, so we're suspending all operations. You don't like the way we do it now, you won't let us do it better and grow on these shores, and you think you can do it better: have at it."

We'd be miserable for a while, but with any luck, idiot politicos would sit down and rethink things, and within a year we'd have permits issued for new refineries and drilling.

I think the core problem is certain groups in this country--and the world--don't like our affluence, and want to bring us down to the level of everyone else in an effort to make us better liked around the world, through some misguided sense of guilt or embarrassment (domestically) or jealously (abroad).

-Brad

Comment

Well the reasons for the oil shortage in canada ia a little different:

Nobody bothered to check the oil.

We just didn't know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical.

Our OIL is located in

Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba,
            Coastal New Brunswick,
            Coastal Labrador and
            Saskatchewan.

Our
            DIPSTICKS
            are located in
            Ottawa Ontario

Comment

This equates to simple math.

Gas cost about 30% more now, than this time last year.
              Oil cost about 80% more now, than this time last year.

Its going to continue to go up, till the price increase of oil and gas match.

The Feds already regulate the % of profit for Exxon, BP, and EVERY OTHER ENERGY company in the US.

Thats why Co-ops exist. The % of profit from So-Cal? energy and Nevada? energy are EXACTLY THE SAME.
              Thats why they can "co-op"...they exchange areas and energy for like/kind areas and energy...so they reduce overlapping, and both save $$.

The Feds need to leave well-enough alone. The Gov ALREADY has price fixes in place based on % of cost over X (being the cost per barrel, minus the cost produce)...
              And the energy companies are doing a lot more economy boosting by using STORED RESERVES of GASOLINE to "cushion" the cost increases than the dumbass Tax Stimulus (ie. Pay tax money to myself, so I can pay it back to the Gov NEXT year) package....

But remember this, it ain't gonna stop till the price of OIL and GAS match.

Gas should cost, right now, nearly $5.00 per gallon...based on simple math.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54

I think the core problem is certain groups in this country--and the world--don't like our affluence, and want to bring us down to the level of everyone else in an effort to make us better liked around the world, through some misguided sense of guilt or embarrassment (domestically) or jealously (abroad).

-Brad
                Bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed

-Brad
                  Bingo!
                  X2.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                    Originally posted by Mr4Speed

-Brad
                    Bingo!
                    X2.
                    X3

Comment

Originally posted by RyanWalker
                      6.00 a gallon, whoa. If it gets that high here in SoCal/SFV/LA people somewhere will riot.
                      Over here in the UK its aready over $10 A Gallon! :o

Comment

awful fuzzy math here 1.32 a litre is 5.00 a us gallon not 6.00 thats 3.8 litre to a us gallon or am i wrong :

Comment

3.8 litres to 1 US gallon, 4.5 litres to 1 Imperial gallon. ( I'm not that smart but I have a unit converter widget)

Comment

$3.89 per gallon today, from 3.49 this morning. >

Comment

3.59 a gallon here in SoIN.........jusat doesn't have that same ring as socal does it?
                              Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Working...
                              X