Value of Manual Labor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Manual Labor

Well, today was a bust at work and I felt like I accomplished nothing, so when I got home I really felt like doing a simple but tedious job. I decided to dig out a stump in the backyard. I busted my ass for two hours solid and enjoyed every minute of the backbreaking work. I smashed my hand on the stump, and I didn't even get upset. I get a lot of satisfaction from doing dirty, sweaty, and laborious tasks.

Now for the questions.

Am I the only person who finds pleasure in work of this sort?
    Do you ever get the sudden urge to take on hard manual labor?
    Do you like getting good and dirty? (please keep the answer to this one clean ;D)

Just Curious.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Re: Value of Manual Labor

Nah, I sometimes get the urge to play in the dirt at home. Granted I play in the dirt at work (I'm a geologist) it's like all the auto tech's here coming home and working on their cars ;) I shovelled quite a bit of dirt one afternoon, kind of like a test to how soft the dirt in my backyard was and how deep I could go. Oh yeah, last time we had a few feet of snow on the ground I shovelled half my yard just to build a 'snow' wall along the front of my yard. If that isn't a waste of time and a lot of manual labor I don't know what is ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

When the day/week/month just freakin' bites, and there isn't an idiot or five to take it out on...I chop wood. Me, a double-bladed axe, and some really heavy rock music going, as long as it takes before I stop and realize that the neighbors have seriously freaked out. I know some people who do land-clearing, so all I do is ask.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
        When the day/week/month just freakin' bites, and there isn't an idiot or five to take it out on...I chop wood. Me, a double-bladed axe, and some really heavy rock music going, as long as it takes before I stop and realize that the neighbors have seriously freaked out. I know some people who do land-clearing, so all I do is ask.
        x2 for the wood chopping.
        I go camping a couple times a year, and hate to pay what they charge for firewood around here. Whenever I see some oak stacked up by the road, I pick it up, take it home, and break out the maul, wedges, and sledgehammer.
        It's not just to save money, I enjoy the task.
        After the wood dries out (cures) I like using it on the weber instead of charcoal, too.

Comment

Sounds like everyday at work for me, the dirty, sweaty, back breaking and knunckle busting part. I'm glad to go home and have a cold brew and relax.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
            Am I the only person who finds pleasure in work of this sort?
            Do you ever get the sudden urge to take on hard manual labor?
            Do you like getting good and dirty? (please keep the answer to this one clean ;D)
            You are SICK my friend !!!

Whenever I have to take on hard manual labor and get good and dirty, I just jump in the pool for a minute and then I'm cool, clean and ready to go for another session !!!

Sounds to me like you are just working out your agression and frustrations ...

8)

Comment

I can't do much of that anymore, and I DO miss it. I built a lot of stuff (mostly shops) and this one is likely my last. It took me FOREVER to get it up, as I have to work really slowly and take frequent breaks. Still, I do get stuff done. But manual excavation is pretty much out of the question. I do, however, have 3 post holes to dig for the lean-to addition on the back of the shop. It'll just take a while. Most of the construction is metal framing, so that isn't too heavy and just takes some screwing (keep yer minds outta the gutter!).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                ... It took me FOREVER to get it up, ...

... just takes some screwing. ...

(keep yer minds outta the gutter!)
                Dan

Sorry Dan, but you started yourself... ;D ;D

but, do I have the urge to do hardlabor at times? No, not likely, but I do want to smash things occassionally when stuff is working against me... :D Luckily I can restrain myself usually...
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                  Most of the construction is metal framing, so that isn't too heavy and just takes some screwing (keep yer minds outta the gutter!).
                  In order to keep my mind out of the gutter, it first must come out of the gutter. ;D

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I have to admit that I do find some satisfaction in turning a tree into firewood, and it is back breaking work, even with a log splitter and a chain saw.

I also like menial tasks with immediate results - like mowing the lawn, helps take the mind off all the complex stuff of the day and just get pure joy out of seeing a job done.... helps when the blade is nice and sharp.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Seth... that train has long since left the station...

But I get it... I remember doing block sanding the Healey... or wet sanding it in 100 degree heat.... and loving every minute...

Running and playing PT in the Army cured me of most of that ...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                        Running and playing PT in the Army cured me of most of that ...
                        They made pilots run and play PT ?
                        Didn't the Army have some type of Top Gun school ?

;)

Comment

Of course pilots do PT. They do sprints...right back to their cars. ;D

Comment

I love getting dirty and accomplishing something. The back-breaking part, not so much. I ruined my back at work, now I sit at a desk.

The best part is showering later and feeling clean and new.

My wife put white carpet in our bedroom; I have to take my greasy clothes off before entering that sanctuary.

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                            In order to keep my mind out of the gutter, it first must come out of the gutter. ;D
                            X2
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I understand that completely. The job I left yesterday was a desk job with people coming in upset all day long. It was nice to just come home and go to garage to work with no outside noise at all. But, left that job yesterday for one that I can see what I have done at the end of the day.
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Working...
                              X