Neat flight deck of an aircraft carrier video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat flight deck of an aircraft carrier video

It's a little light on details, but is still pretty neat to watch. Says the catapults are 2 million horsepower! Is that right? idk, but they have to be powerful. My Dad was the guy hooking the jets to the catapults during the late 60's early 70's. Very few back then were attached to the catapult via nose gear.

Escaped on a technicality.

That's truly amazing to those of us who have never served or seen it in person. The guys and gals are out there on the flight decks doing that all the time. Amazing.

Okay, zero to 150 in two seconds, how does that compare to top fuel cars or funny cars?
    Last edited by pdub; April 20, 2012, 01:51 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Video is from 6/27/1990 (you can see it in the monitor on one of the shots.) We no longer have any of those planes (except the EA-6B.) Don't have the carrier either (JFK.)

It is cool though, and the same thing goes on today with different aircraft. I had the good fortune to witness it from the flight deck last year. The USS Gerald Ford (CVN 78) currently under construction will use a linear electric motor instead of a steam-driven catapult to launch the aircraft off the deck.
      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Okay, zero to 150 in two seconds, how does that compare to top fuel cars or funny cars?
        Nitro warriors are faster.
        Zero to 60 by the time the slicks reach the starting line, and over 200 in less than two seconds - over 300 in four.
        They've checked the "G" readings of drivers, and they pull more than shuttle pilots at take-off.

Don't ever say racecar drivers aren't athletes.... they have to be handle those forces.
        Last edited by studemax; April 20, 2012, 06:26 PM.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
          Video is from 6/27/1990 (you can see it in the monitor on one of the shots.) We no longer have any of those planes (except the EA-6B.) Don't have the carrier either (JFK.)

It is cool though, and the same thing goes on today with different aircraft. I had the good fortune to witness it from the flight deck last year. The USS Gerald Ford (CVN 78) currently under construction will use a linear electric motor instead of a steam-driven catapult to launch the aircraft off the deck.
          My Dad and I toured the Midway Aircraft Carrier in San Diego a while back. It was pretty cool because they have a bunch of the type of planes on the deck that he worked around when he was in the Navy.

This picture popped up on his facebook a few days ago. Those who know what I look like will probably pick him out pretty quickly I stand just like he does too.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad and Catapult group1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	861593
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 20, 2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I never got work the flight deck of a carrier but I have been on plane guard a few times. During flight ops a small ship (I was on a frigate) will trail behind the carrier. If someone, or an aircraft goes in the water, we were supposed to spot it and go rescue the personnel. Still, it was a good position to see the planes land.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              My Dad and I toured the Midway Aircraft Carrier in San Diego a while back. It was pretty cool because they have a bunch of the type of planes on the deck that he worked around when he was in the Navy.

This picture popped up on his facebook a few days ago. Those who know what I look like will probably pick him out pretty quickly I stand just like he does too.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10540[/ATTACH]
              You do stand just like him. I always wondered where I got my way of standing from. Not from my dad. My maternal grandfather who died before I was born.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
                Video is from 6/27/1990 (you can see it in the monitor on one of the shots.) We no longer have any of those planes (except the EA-6B.)
                They're still flying the Prowler? I used to work on them back in the 80's on Whidbey Island. Used to love watching flight ops at night from the crows nest on the CVN-65!
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Mr 14 Burns to the flight line! Ya, you favor him.

The folks on the deck have brass!
                  Last edited by Beagle; April 21, 2012, 02:12 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My Dad pointed out to me that he worked that flight deck in the video. D'oh, I knew that, the Essex, JFK and the Kitty Hawk.

Comment

Ain't genetics some cool wild stuff?

My parents top out at 5'1" and 5'4", my Grandma is 4'10", my sister and one cousin are 5'3". My other 2 cousins (all 3 are boys) managed to hit 5'10".

I won the lottery. Grandpa was 6' and I managed 6'2"............woohoo!!

Most days I just say they found me along the road and took me home.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

We busted the "I was the mailman's kid" myth a long time ago

Here is a picture of me a Bonneville a couple years ago. Standing just like he did, only the camera is facing the other way.
                        Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 21, 2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Great video- now I want to go watch "Top Gun" again...
                          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Working...
                          X