X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studemax View Post
    The majority of BS'ers here like him.
    And there it is in a nutshell.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Simpson makes a new 4oz styrofoam helmet and Haines now makes beffy T short sleve driving suits and shorts.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I thought about this all night - line the entire track and inside of car with Nerf. No helmet needed.

(Gallagher joke)
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Variety is the spice of life...

Want something hot? Girls with cars
          Want something mellow? Projects
          Want something heavy? Tech articles
          Want something slightly flavored? Blog page
          Want something sweet? Girls with cars
          Want to laugh?? PEEWEE!

I learn stuff I forgot.. (relearn?). Remember?
          New stuff gets learned. Retained is slightly different..
          Stuff that I'm not interested in...gloss over...complain? Why bother...nobody cares...
          Just like this post... Nobody really cares if I post or not...

Peewee... Keep being you... Makes my day and I am sure many more that do not say...
          Well put Bob -
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Us actually old folks can relate to PW. You youngun's are just guessin'.

I'm looking forward to seeing Pdub and Red heading down the Ohio Mile.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
              Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan

I am looking forward Peewee's story of running the mile... (always wanted to go flat out for a mile myself, so I will live thru him)
                Dunno if I qualify as "old folk" (58 with lots of aches and pains) but I sure relate... Yep.. Young uns got no idea!

Comment

LOL, you guys slay me.

PW, yes they make collars with fire retardant covers. But, try them on first, with the helmet, before buying. I find that I don't like the feeling of the collar on my throat, we use a HANS instead.

Don't put on the helmet until you have to, then take a few deep breaths and relax into the seat. Let the seat take the weight of the helmet. I know it sounds easy to do, but it isn't given the adrenaline that will be filling you up to the eyeballs.

Get in the CAR and practice. None of us walk around with a helmet on and shoot pool. Get in the car, put the helmet on, relax in the seat and then row the gears just like you will at the event. I would also strongly suggest that you practice your slow down and bailout procedure. You can do it all in your mind, then do it in the car. We practice with the visor taped, so you can't see. You need to be able to know where your kill switch is, how to undo your harness and get out of the car without being able to see anything.

I applaud your effort to get ready. But my rule is practice like you play, and unless you're playing full contact pool, you don't need to be wearing a helmet.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

I have something serrious to add this time. I sit with my seat kinda back and after I installed my seat belts I didn't think about anything else other than putting my hands on the wheel. The first time I buckeled myself in all suited up at the track I was kinda pissed at myself because I couldn't reach to turn my pump on and start the car. Durp...
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Peewee if you are going practice wearing your helmet to get used to its weight, then wear it while driving your car. Yes, drive around town, commute to work, and run errands wearing it. Its the only way to get used ti wearing a helmet while driving a car is to wear it while driving thw car. Yes, people.will point and look and make funny faces at you. They were already doing that. You just didnt notice.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

PW - you can drive around in the helmet - but if you do, get a white, Alpine star firesuit to match the helmet to wear while driving
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 24, 2012, 10:32 AM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

PW, yes they make collars with fire retardant covers. But, try them on first, with the helmet, before buying. I find that I don't like the feeling of the collar on my throat, we use a HANS instead.

Don't put on the helmet until you have to, then take a few deep breaths and relax into the seat. Let the seat take the weight of the helmet. I know it sounds easy to do, but it isn't given the adrenaline that will be filling you up to the eyeballs.

Get in the CAR and practice. None of us walk around with a helmet on and shoot pool. Get in the car, put the helmet on, relax in the seat and then row the gears just like you will at the event. I would also strongly suggest that you practice your slow down and bailout procedure. You can do it all in your mind, then do it in the car. We practice with the visor taped, so you can't see. You need to be able to know where your kill switch is, how to undo your harness and get out of the car without being able to see anything.

I applaud your effort to get ready. But my rule is practice like you play, and unless you're playing full contact pool, you don't need to be wearing a helmet.
                          ^^^^^ This guy knows what the hell he is talking about. Listen to him!^^^^^
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Guys, thanks so much, all of ya.

RE the best advice, I've sat in the car with the helmet on... well it's too late to practice anymore. I've hurt my neck practicing "wrong."

The next time that ton of bricks will be on my neck will be at the starting line. I hope we get to run - the wayward climate guessers keep jacking up the rain forecast for The Mile, and backing off, and jacking it up...

It'll be what it'll be. And sincerely, thanks for all of your support, advice and kind comments. It means the world to me, it does. It all does.

I only can think that if I get everybody laughing either WITH me or AT me, it doesn't really matter, because I'm the one laughing AT me the most.

dub
                            Last edited by pdub; April 24, 2012, 01:30 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You must first be able to laugh at yourself before laughing at others..
                              Peewee, I'll be laughing with and at ya, just like I expect you to do the same to me! Deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                You must first be able to laugh at yourself before laughing at others..
                                Peewee, I'll be laughing with and at ya, just like I expect you to do the same to me! Deal?
                                Deal. A done deal and a good deal. Weld it.
                                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                                X