What happend to cheap starter motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happend to cheap starter motors?

The starter went out in my truck so I took it out and brought it to my neighbour hood Autozone....I was thinking on my way there what could this cost, $35-40 bucks. No, it was $95! I guess it's been a while but I remember getting them a lot cheaper than that.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

We're lucky here in Wilmington. We have a local shop that does starters and alternators (Coastal Rebuilders). They're reasonably priced and stand behind their work. Unless it's a weekend (they're closed) I stay away from the Big Box stores.

Dan

Comment

The sad part is they are still "cheap",they just cost more.
      A friend of mine ran "lifetime" AZ parts in his Mustang,he was aways replacing them.Starter in July,Alt. in Aug.,WP in Jan.,PS pump in Mar. every year seemed like clock work. The stock parts ran over 75k miles (or more)with no problems but he was "saving money" on cheap parts.

Comment

I rebuilt one once...not hard...always an option if you can find the parts.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It was a little late, but on my way home I thought I should have rebuilt it. I guess I was kind of in a hurry, and it's fixed now.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I rebuild all that stuff if I can get the kit or parts for them. Alternators especially, except the newer ones you cant rebuild. The price of the high torque gear reduction starters has gone up too, used to be about $150-$200 now they are $250 and up. I need one for the GTO, a stock one isnt going to turn that high compression 455 easy.

If its a starter off a newer truck then it will be pricey. If its old, then they arent too bad. I have never gotten a good Pontiac starter from AZ or any of those kinds of stores. The CarQuest starters are sketchy too, but I can make them work with a little help inside. Sorta like having it cleaned before I rebuild it and getting new brushes in the deal. Cheap rebuilds just wont turn the big engines like mine. Had a race day cut short when the starter went. Dad ran into town to get a starter, wrote down 455 Pontiac, and they sent me a 454 starter. Took it back, got the right one, put it on and with a full battery, dads truck jumping it, it wouldnt barely budge a mild 400. Absolute junk and they wouldnt take it back because I installed it.

Comment

O'Reiley's (formerly Shucks) had one rather cheap...$42...

Want a "hi-torque". Use the newer small cad plated ones... They start all our motors, even the hot derby motors.
              They usually come with metric bolts... Chuck those for SAE..the ones needed are about half inch shorter.

Comment

Working...
              X