Got a flathead, need info, parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a flathead, need info, parts

My grandfather's first car was a 1936 Ford coupe with rumble seat. He bought it used right after he got out of the service and drove it for several years. He said that it was equipped with mechanical brakes which only worked half of the time, so he mostly used the emergency brake to stop. One day his day was riding with him in the '36 and saw him using the e-brake to stop, and said that he had to cut it up. So, despite the fact that the body was very solid, the frame was made into a trailer and the body was cut up for scrap . Fortunately, however, he pulled the running flathead V8 and 3-speed and stored them away in his shop.

Fast forward about 50 years to this weekend. I was driving my grandpa to the dealer to pick up his van after some repairs, and he brings up that old flathead. He says "Do you want that old motor?" I was like "Of course" with a stunned look on my face. I know its not much, but he usually doesn't give things away. He is a pack rat and tinkerer (runs in the family).

So, to make a long story short, I now have a 1936 Ford V8 with 3-speed manual. Untouched in 50 years, will need completely gone through before being runnable. From what I can gather, this is an 85 horsepower model. I know that it will need a fuel pump (broken off) and a set of exhaust manifolds (rusted out) and possibly a carb (unless he can find it). Does anyone know where I can obtain parts for this motor? Any websites with good info on these? Are there performance parts available for 85hp models (especially headers)? Planning to build up a rat-rod style Model A truck when funds allow (long term project).
    Still plays with trucks....

Re: Got a flathead, need info, parts

try this

Quality Parts for Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Racing & more. Trusted by enthusiasts since 1952 for fast & reliable shipping on affordable parts with expert support.

Comment

I have a similiar story. My Grandfather had a 36 Ford Coupe when he was in H.S. This was in the '40s. My Great Grandfather was a Ford tech when the flathead V-8 was introduced and was factory trained on it. He later opened his own shop and was THE man around the area for making those engines run. So anyway, my Grandfather has this 36 with a hot engine in it and was always driving it too fast. One night after leaving the shop and heading down Main St, he ended up running over the town drunk who was laying in the street and killing him. He didn't get in trouble for it, the guy had a rep of passing out in the street and people knew it was a matter of time before he would be run over. The car was taken away by my Great Grandfather and sold minus it's engine. Grandpa was without a car until after he got out of the Marines in '46. We don't know what happened to the engine though.

Comment

If you try a search on the message board on the HAMB, you'll probably find some good info too:

Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums worldwide.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

try www.egge.com

Comment

Thanks for the links guys. I'll be doing a lot of research on how to setup this motor, so anything helps.

Btw, I've heard that some of these motors used poured main bearings. Does anyone know if they did this in '36? I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet, and probably won't for a while (gotta finish putting the 460 back together for the '79 Ford first).
            Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
            X