Camping...agina...with 134 middle school students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping...agina...with 134 middle school students

Its that time of year again. The annual middle school camping trip.

We head out to a remote camp site and the teachers do classroom stuff....me and a few others run the base camp/kitchen.

It is always a good time but man it sure can be taxing on the old nerves...134 middle school kids can drive a group of adults insane in just a matter of minutes, especially without booze and smokes to calm the nerves.

I have everything packed and the truck had a good once over, its about 100 miles out of town and another 30 off some dirt roads into the high desert.

I will try to post up some pics when I get back of the area. It is really beautiful....Heading out at 0800 tomorrow...wish me luck
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

you are a brave man.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Rock on Joe!

The old guys would wait for us to go to bed when I was in Indian Guides (Lake Possum Kingdom trip RULED...). We weren't in bed of course, and they knew it but everyone acted like we were. Then they would bust out the stogies and booze. I guess times have changed - good on ya if you resist.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

its a school sponsored trip so all district rules apply...plus all the teachers are goody_goody hippies so they really are not much fun.

I will have my pain meds cuz my old ass gets to hurtin' out in the wild....
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Kahlua has some adorable little one shot bottles. (cough syrup bottles work... I mean, it is cough medicine... I remember school trips. Kinda.)

I'm teasing.. Enjoy!

Comment

I agree with SBG - You are either brave - or not too bright! Anything that gets phones/E-devices out of these kids' hands for a while is a good thing. Best of luck.

Dan

Comment

a little kahlua in some coffe never killed anyone i guess lol....

Comment

Thats cool Joe, now that my kid is a boy scout I have plenty of opportunitys to go camping it's just hard for me to pass up a chance to sleep in my own bed.
                He usually goes with a smaller group of 10-20 kids though, I couldn't imagine 134! I'd definetly have to make myself a few of these.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

that idea is chock full o' win!

Comment

Hey, that guy over there sure is drinking a lot of Coke today!
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Those don't fit Coors / Keystone cans correctly, they're thinner. haha. Ask me how I know. lol. They have to leave their cell phones at home? AWESOME! They will go into thumb jerking withdrawals. I'm with Dan - that is a great idea.. the real world, who knew!

Comment

even if they have phones there is now way to use them...the place we are going is way off the grid. The only communication we have is my CB...even that is not reliable.

The kids love the trip, they have a lot of fun and the teachers keep them pretty busy so it is certainly an learning experience.

The campground is at an old 1800's homestead. There are some old structures that can be seen in the brush and not far away is an old calvary camp with the barracks still standing. They used them during the Indian wars...

Comment

When I was out there the only thing my phone was good for was a flashlight.
                          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                            The campground is at an old 1800's homestead. There are some old structures that can be seen in the brush and not far away is an old calvary camp with the barracks still standing. They used them during the Indian wars...
                            Figure out which direction is downhill and downwind from the structures then look for a slight depression in the ground, there you will find their trash dump, best place to find cool old stuff, of course if it is a state park or something don't do it...love this kind of adventure and am really jealous! I would go! anybody want to learn how to make a lanyard?
                            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; April 24, 2012, 08:28 AM.
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

You can also fit two cold ones in a pringles can... just saying...

I just got done with a scout trip where we camped on board the USS Alabama Battleship. It started as fun and ended with no sleep.
                              Powertour off/on since 2002
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X