Camping...agina...with 134 middle school students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
    Figure out which direction is downhill and downwind from the structures then look for a slight depression in the ground, there you will find their trash dump, best place to find cool old stuff, of course if it is a state park or something don't do it...love this kind of adventure and am really jealous! I would go! anybody want to learn how to make a lanyard?
    Yeah, there is much to be found here I am sure if I had a metal detector...I have been thinking about getting one for this trip. I have gone every year for the last 5 years. Worlds greatest procrastinator.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
      You can also fit two cold ones in a pringles can... just saying...

I just got done with a scout trip where we camped on board the USS Alabama Battleship. It started as fun and ended with no sleep.
      Is your Avatar Picture from that trip?
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Joe,
        Although your account sounds daunting ... look at what I get to face this Summer.
        Summer Camp Staff.
        .. every weekend in May, getting prepared,
        .. 8 weeks solid, June & July,
        .. 750 - 800 kids per week,

... remember those cliche' Summer Camp movies ?
        I get to live it all summer long ...
        LOL !!!

Comment

screw that!
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Whitemonster.... What bet did you lose? Or is it by choice?

Hell, I guess SOMEBODY needs to be a role model...

I'm with Joe... SCREW THAT!

Comment

Bob, It may interest you to know that this is a co-enrolement school so over 30% of the student population is deaf. Being able to sign help out signifigantly. Its a very small school so this is 134 is about 99% of the middle school. The deaf kids that graduate from this school almost always excell and go on to college which is rare for a "main streamed" deaf student..My daughter is now in high school and is far above her deaf peers who did not attend this program or went to the state school...its a great program!

Comment

I was very impressed with how well behaved your kids were Joe, what ever your doing keep it up.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  Bob, It may interest you to know that this is a co-enrolement school so over 30% of the student population is deaf. Being able to sign help out signifigantly. Its a very small school so this is 134 is about 99% of the middle school. The deaf kids that graduate from this school almost always excell and go on to college which is rare for a "main streamed" deaf student..My daughter is now in high school and is far above her deaf peers who did not attend this program or went to the state school...its a great program!
                  Joe, by simple deduction... I KNOW your daughter is one smart young lady!. She did not like Gallaudet, she wants to go to AU
                  Your wife learned to teach ASL and you sign as well.. So.. Hell yeah she is above her deaf peers!! I hope she stays with school!
                  I didn't...regret it. In my defense..I was pushed hard to be a teacher of the deaf in the school.. Not what I wanted. Institutionalized when my crime is being deaf? I was a guinea pig for mainstreaming... NO INTERPRETER.. Scared to talk to "hearies" (not now.. Still HARD) of course I failed.. I was considered above my peers, thus I slacked big time... I was so unprepared to "enter the world"
                  I think i bored everybody enough.. But all I can say as a deafie, and dad...stay involved... Stay on top.. Things can go down fast for our kind in young adulthood... She may hate you for being nosy now.. But she will understand later and thank you for it..

For those who do not understand the world of deafness... I ask no "feeling sorry for". Don't. I hope to earn respect.. If I don't.. Oh well. If I do.. Great!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    For those who do not understand the world of deafness... I ask no "feeling sorry for". Don't. I hope to earn respect.. If I don't.. Oh well. If I do.. Great!
                    man did you hit the nail on the head right there....so many people think they need to coddle these kids and soon enough the kids expect it. You hold them to high standards and they will excell, but the parents HAVE to be involved, 100%. More often than not parents write these kids off and its sickening! I get the pitty looks and comments so often with my kids...I told one elderly man not long ago who I was chatting with in a hobby shop that there is no reason to pitty my boy...when we go home today we are going to build a car, wrench on a truck, ride bycyles and play catch, he is going to run and play with his friends and have fun. The old man smiled and relized then that his preconcieved notion that these kids are handicapped was wrong...He said...Hes lucky to have a dad like you...and it looks like you got a handle on it...indeed we do...indeed we do.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                      I was very impressed with how well behaved your kids were Joe, what ever your doing keep it up.
                      Thanks man, that is a very high compliment for me...

Comment

Hey Bob - I honestly had no idea that you were deaf. I just thought it was your handle. Now I feel SO guilty for typing too quitely...... JUST KIDDING!!!

I hope we meet, and soon. You seem like a real stand-up guy. I'll wish I signed but I bet we'll communicate just fine. I'm thinking you should come to Bonneville - I'll be working Impound. Not THAT far from Oregon (closer than coastal NC).

And Joe - as always, you're doing a great job.

Dan

Comment

Dan, Like I tell Pdub...gotta laugh at oneself...
                          We will communicate fine..I speak well (or so I'm told) altho I find myself with age related suttering lately (yeah joke.. ) you might have to repeat stuff... Comes with territory.

Bonneville has always been on my mind... When is it?
                          Derby schedule and life "throw ats" might make it this or next year..More likely next...

Comment

Joe, whether those middle-school kids are normal, abnormal (and I'm speaking of the non-hearing impaired here), deaf, not-deaf, or whatever... they are still middle school kids.

Which therefore, means that you Joseph, are a no-shit friggin' saint.

Vaya con dios, my friend of unwavering patience.
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I remember what kinds of little shit I was in Jr High and you're out with 134 of those brats. Sounds like a great big PITA, Joe. Oh wait, you already have one of those.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                Dan,
                                Bonneville has always been on my mind... When is it?
                                Derby schedule and life "throw ats" might make it this or next year..More likely next...
                                B'Ville is August 9-17 this year. That's my schedule but Friday is a set-up day. Hope you can make it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X