I've got a question for you guys the dont live in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a question for you guys the dont live in the US

In the US we have 1/2inch, 3/8inch, 1/4inch drive ratchets. Are they called 13mm
    ..etc,etc or something else everywhere else? Its just a dumb question ive wondered about for a while.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by harponi; April 25, 2012, 06:54 AM.

1/4 is like 6,5mm,so only the 1/4 will work..1/2 inch is 12,5 mm,so 12 and 13mm dont work..3/8 is 9,8mm,so a 10mm will work..9/16 is around 14mm,so thats easy..a 5/8 is 16mm....11/16 is 17mm..3/4 is 19mm.

Its the 1/4 and 1/2 that isnt working in mm tools..but real inch tools is the solution of course.

Comment

Some 'mechacknics' usually just wrench with mm-tools on US-cars.
      A 13mm wrench on a 1/2" bolthead is just a loose fitting wrench to them.
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I think he's talking about the wratchet name "1/4 Ratchet"

It would be a 1/4" ratchet - or a 3/8, or 1/2 just like here.

A pint is a pound the world around.

I think you're asking like how we call an adjustable wrench a "Crescent wrench" here but in the UK they call them "Adjustable spanners" ?
        Last edited by Beagle; April 25, 2012, 07:50 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Then there's pipe wrenches and monkey wrenches, spanners the lot I've been told.

Whitworth - anybody have those? Aren't they required to work on old Norton's?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I think Dad had some, and some antique Snap-on spinner handle and a couple of sockets that are just larger than 1/4" drive. I've got a few odd sizes, like 19/32 that translate to metric something I guess.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have a couple hex headed ratchets. With a few sockers to fit both, never found a bolt head or nut those sockets would fit tho...

Comment

I think he's asking about the actual ratchet, not the sockets. Dammit, now it's got me wondering!
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  I think Dad had some, and some antique Snap-on spinner handle and a couple of sockets that are just larger than 1/4" drive. I've got a few odd sizes, like 19/32 that translate to metric something I guess.
                  Beags - the 19/32 and whatever that other oddball size (I'd have to go look at my old Industro Select socket set) were for rod bolts and mains on a Studebaker. I know they work on the V8 and I'm guessing they fit the six as well. They're probably pretty close to SOMETHING Metric.

Why do I have brain cells taken up with this information?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                    I think he's asking about the actual ratchet, not the sockets. Dammit, now it's got me wondering!
                    Yeah thats what im asking. if im in Europe or Australia or Asia and a reach in the tool box for a ratchet, what size would the square output drive be.
                    Last edited by harponi; April 25, 2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Ah, the ratchetpart itself is also called 1/2, 3/8 or 1/4".
                      Or, if you're surrounded by real 'tools' ... just say you want the large ratchet or the small one.
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks BBM, one less thing to go scurrying through my mind when I can't sleep.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Thanks guys. I love the way this forum responds!

Comment

well we still call them 1/4 .... 3/8 .... 1/2.... 3/4///

some metric sockets are just well...plain metric.

who uses metric anyways>>>>?...we all work on 'old' junk

lol

alan
                            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                            X