Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Disc Hunt

Howdy,

I know ya'll are far more in tune with the great variety of different parts that are out there. I'm looking for a slip on (thats the seperate rotor kind) of 5x5in brake rotor in 11.5in+ size. Any idea what such a rotor would have come on?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Brake Disc Hunt

91-up Caprice/Impala SS/Fleetwood/Roadmaster rear most likely-might be a little bigger diameter.

Comment

I was looking to make my own disc brake set up for my 66 Mustang a while back. I picked up a couple of used rotors from my local DPW off Crown Vic cruiser to use for moc up. They are 12" IIRC but you'll probably would have to re-drill them to 5 on 5.

You didn't say what you're planning on putting them on but if you're planning on using a single piston OEM caliper, check out www.scarebird.com this guy makes all sorts of DYI kits for a lot of odd ball stuff.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Like this?-

Comment

Like that but I wouldn't mind going bigger. I've seen scarebirds stuff using the 71-76 B-body and 73-mid 80's truck rotors with integrated hubs and I just don't like the components at this time. I was going to have TCE custom make me some brakcets for Wilwood stuff but I'm on a why buy when you can build mood and decided to take my hubs and mockup spindles and play with the idea of getting something homemade since my fab shop equipment is growing. I like 4 piston fixed calipers though they are a bit over complicated. They wear more evenly.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The common method being used now to put LS1 front brakes on 3rd gen F bodies is to take a stock rotor and cut the rotor off so you are left with a hub so an LS1 hubless rotor will sit on it. Then there is a simple bolt on bracket for the caliper. You might look at 98-older Tahoe/Suburban and see if they use a bigger rotor. I think those are the only other thing that would already have a 5-5" bolt pattern.

Comment

Bingo!

well thats close, I'm going to have to check how much clearance I have to see how big I can go. I have hubs already out of the monster aluminum drums so I'm set there, just needed the "hat and rotor".
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

not 100% sure on bolt pattern size but 1997-up ford f150 4x4 has seperated front rotors. def 12 in diam and I suspect it's the same bolt pattern as all old fords. :-\

Comment

5x5.5in, I checked, the last documented Ford with a 5x5 was the last 70's fullsized cars.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

That sounds right. and those late 70s full size fords had rear discs available...but the rotors are probably too small, and they have interesting directional vents....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The diameter isn't so much of an issue as it is the thickness. B-body rears are only 1in thick, same with K-body Seville rear rotors. Both are 11.61in in diameter and you can get directionally vented units I think. I preffer a directionally vented disc in solid or slotted only surface to a cross drilled "bling" rotor. Hard to find actual directional discs anymore.

At $52 for the drilled solid rotors from Kore3, I'm doubting I'd get a good set machined locally for enough less to mess with it. Now I'm just going to have to see how much clearance I have for the rotors and how much this changes the offset.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                      X