used Big Rig prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used Big Rig prices

Holy Crap!! I just started my job about a month ago, and part of my job means the bigger purchases of equipment and tooling come through me. I don't have to approve them, just make up a folder for them to get them approved by the higher ups. Anyway, one of the new projects this year is a used roll off truck. The one that was quoted is a '07 (I think) Mack with 300,000 miles on it. When I saw the price for it, I nearly shit myself. 117k and change. New '12 KWs were quoted along with it and they were only 172K. I know trucks last a while, but I was really surprised at the price tag on a 300,000 mile truck

On a side note, we also got an '06 CAT loader for the landfill my company owns for around 170K, and I got to play around with that the other day. That thing was big. And the two older International 560s were even bigger. That day was a good day.

not many pay that much..but for the few weeks of glory, zero odometer.

back into reality..the big horsepower stuff is the same problems modern as the big hoirsepower drag cars. impedance, wire fails, all kinds of things engineers need to learn ...longevity in action/reaction left off with mechanical everything.
    while the schmuck pays more than ever.

my dads first first cabover, 1981...2million miles, and someone plucked the eingie to keep using it. cost? 10k when it has over 1 million.

today, the w900 must be close to 90k with half a million miles. Count on wiring harness, electric doodads flunking random.

I'll shutup and get back to tinkering with the 34 yr old carb..keeps my peace.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 29, 2012, 03:48 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Hey.......at least the used stuff is 'broke' in
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Get a 07 or older as there pre EGR motors and have far less problems than the 08-up EGR motors.
        78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

300,000 really isn't a ton of miles on a big truck. The motor still might be under warranty (some are good to 500,000). You can expect 7-800,000 useful lifespan out of it before requiring any major engine work, more or less depending on the type of work and environment they are used in. My dad sold his 2001 KW W900L a few years back with 850,000 on it. Got 25K for it, still ran like a champ, but it was probably close to being due for an engine overhaul.
          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by ford141 View Post
            300,000 really isn't a ton of miles on a big truck. The motor still might be under warranty (some are good to 500,000). You can expect 7-800,000 useful lifespan out of it before requiring any major engine work, more or less depending on the type of work and environment they are used in. My dad sold his 2001 KW W900L a few years back with 850,000 on it. Got 25K for it, still ran like a champ, but it was probably close to being due for an engine overhaul.
            I know they last a while, but I was really surprised to see the price that high, but I guess 2/3 life left, 2/3 the price. Though I don't see this particular truck lasting to 900,000 miles as it will be doing a lot of short trips.

Comment

Working...
            X