American Pickers, Bangshift version.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pickers, Bangshift version.

Got semi lost the other day and ended up at a place you might see on American Pickers. A guy and his brother absolutely cannot abide crushing old cars. Neither have internet access.

He has four that are interesting for various reasons, but I have a chance to get one or another for dirt cheep. Both he and I thought whichever one I chose could be titled and a reasonable assumption, considering it was abandoned on private property and a Real Estate Document called Conveyance of Title was signed, dated and notorized by appropriate parties. Everyone thought they were doing the right thing, according to law. It had been there for many years.

My buddy lives in a very small town. The registered and legal owner supposedly live there too. I was going to have Stu talk to owner or get me info so I could talk to them before I make a committment.

So I do a search on the guy and find out he is wanted in 5 states, and of course by the FBI. I don't think anyone is going to want to give me a title.

The brothers won't sell unless I promise to restore. I said, I would so promise, but only if and when a Title could be gotten. If I bought it, no title, I would do whatever to get my money back out.

They said fine. A price is agreed on, and I could have the car here in an hour with Bill of Sale for $300.

The engine is pretty damn impressive on its own. The parts are getting extremely rare, but I have to assume no title will be made available by anyone.

If I act, I am going to piss a lot of people off, but I could defend against all commers if it ever went to court.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MM_P1010870.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	878601Click image for larger version

Name:	MM_P1010865.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	878602
    One is an 8.2 litre El Dorado, the other a 455 Olds Vista Cruiser. Both run! Both need one piece of glass, impossible to find. Hour each on pressure washer and they will look pretty good considering neither is hammered for sheet metal.

The drive trains are what I am after.
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

I couldn't really follow the legal details, but the Olds wagon is bitchin'. Please don't yank the motor and scrap it. There is a green one (with wood panels!) that is regularly seen driving around my town. Just another one of those great old cars you'd love to have if money/space/time/spousal tolerance didn't interfere.
    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Speaking of American Pickers (my favorite show,) did you see Krass and Bernie in the new CC? They hot-rod up the "American Pluckers" van.
      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I need a Vista Cruiser!!!!!

I dig wagons.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
          I couldn't really follow the legal details, but the Olds wagon is bitchin'. Please don't yank the motor and scrap it. There is a green one (with wood panels!) that is regularly seen driving around my town. Just another one of those great old cars you'd love to have if money/space/time/spousal tolerance didn't interfere.
          Long story short. The legal owner of the Vista left it at a Shell gas station in 2005. The owner of that gas station sold it for storage lein for $200 in 2008. The titled owner had a gypsy car hauling operation. Apparently he agreed to haul cars with his big rig, (CDL license produced, but was phony) took money, picked up car and never delivered the cars. Arizona, Nebraska, Washington and I believe Utah, criminal charges were filed. FBI got involved for obvious reasons.
          Other than valve popping an backfire through carb, the car starts, backs up and goes forward. It is missing a rear tail glass, everything else in place and sorry looking.

I could see me fixing it up and driving it, but I am a realist. The title to that car (and everthing else owned and found belonging to the previous owner is probably forfeit.

Comment

hmmmm... if only you knew a lawyer in washington (lol)

bonded title is your friend, with a notice sent to the owner-of-record (the person who bought the license plates) - keep in mind there will be a storage lien assessed against it on the notice. Either that, or if you have a friend who owns a tow yard; have him impound it then sell it to you once he gets the paperwork.

easy as pie.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 30, 2012, 03:05 PM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Titles are easy in Michigan, sell it to me and it will have a title.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	convey.jpg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	861730
                Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                hmmmm... if only you knew a lawyer in washington (lol)

bonded title is your friend, with a notice sent to the owner-of-record (the person who bought the license plates) - keep in mind there will be a storage lien assessed against it on the notice. Either that, or if you have a friend who owns a tow yard; have him impound it then sell it to you once he gets the paperwork.

easy as pie.
                I won that other matter. Wrote them, quoted Chapter and Verse of Nevada law and they called to discuss, made a settlement offer 2 days later. Saved me years od spending my retirement in court. Just signed the papers last week.

Now I find:
                RCW 46.55.230
                Junk vehicles
                Last edited by patrickth; April 30, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

no title needed over 15 yrs old in maine, ill take it
                  formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                  http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss 2 View Post
                    no title needed over 15 yrs old in maine, ill take it
                    Planned obsolesence?

Love the Monte. Had 14 of them since 1970. First one bought new, 3 on the tree.

Comment

I agree with Pete, that wagon is way too cool to part out being it's a 455. I'm sure most of them were 350's.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]10728[/ATTACH]

I won that other matter. Wrote them, quoted Chapter and Verse of Nevada law and they called to discuss, made a settlement offer 2 days later. Saved me years od spending my retirement in court. Just signed the papers last week.

Now I find:
                        RCW 46.55.230
                        Junk vehicles
                        both of which I'm happy to hear
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                          I agree with Pete, that wagon is way too cool to part out being it's a 455. I'm sure most of them were 350's.

I am going to go back over there and look a lot closer at it. I am concerned I won't be able to find a rear tailgate window. In this area, with all the rain, it would be a constant problem. I joined classic olds and station wagon forums to see if I could get a lead on one.

Comment

I will keep my eyes open out here, I see them pop up on Cl from time to time and I know a yard that has one..not sure if the glass is intact tho...When I get time I will check it out.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              I will keep my eyes open out here, I see them pop up on Cl from time to time and I know a yard that has one..not sure if the glass is intact tho...When I get time I will check it out.
                              I did some major thinking on it and will get it if I can find the glass. It is currently full of "stuff" that the brothers want to keep. I am going to try and sweet talk them into getting it out of there so I can really go over the car properly. It was pouring rain last time I was over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X