Lingenfelter ZL1 runs 202.67 mph with Freiburger driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingenfelter ZL1 runs 202.67 mph with Freiburger driving

We took our 2012 ZL1 Camaro that ran 10.79 a week ago to the Continental Tire test track to see how fast it would run. After a number of 199+ runs, David put a good lap down and ran 202.67.

David did an amazing job driving on a 8.5 mile oval that was less that perfect for big speed runs. The test rack was built in 1959, and widened to 3 lanes in the early 60's. It still wears the original pavement, and after 50+ years of Texas sunshine it made driving this fast exciting.

We left having run the fastest time of any american car on this track. Only a few exotics have gone faster than our ZL1.

The first published information is here on the Hot Rod web page.

HOT ROD is “where it all began,” as the first magazine to cover the hot rod culture. Since that time, HOT ROD has evolved into a brand devoted to everything from hot rods to restomods, barn finds to project cars and everything in between.
    If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Thats pretty impressive stuff. I love the front end of the new ZL1. And im sure it wont take long for some ford guy to mention that the new gt500 does 200mph stock......

Comment

They should mention Ford claims the GT500 will do it stock, but there has never been anyone outside of Ford that has seen it happen. Based on the GT500 numbers, it should run 200. I am sure there are a number of people that will be ready to do it once they come out.

Our numbers said we could run 200 with our ZL1, but until we did it was just a bunch of numbers on a page.
      If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

I saw the blog from the Hotrod facebook page. Nice job, and very true about numbers saying one thing and reality having something else in mind!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Line it up against the F-Bomb!
          HOTROD Dragweek Pro Street N/A winner 2007,2011, 2012/ 2nd, 2009
          HOTROD Dragweek quickest and fastest naturally aspirated car in any class 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012
          FIRST IN THE EIGHTS Legal Pro Street N/A HOTROD Drag Week 2012

Comment

Nicely done, 200 mph in anything is flying!! That is the test track previously operated by Firestone I assume?

cheers
            Ed
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

f bomb

Comment

congrats mike, ive been to that track once, and talk about out in the middle of no where, didnt know it was that old
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Impressive . . .

in the historic light of Gale Banks and Car & Driver blowing up FOUR SBCs in route to 200 m.p.h. in a Firebird twenty-eight years ago. The archaic "LESS" is certainly more resilliant than the old RPO SBC (excluding the H.D. parts-counter "wringers" that Vince, Zora and the GMPP Gang sold to serious racers).

Still, I'm wondering how many cheap plastic bits vibrated off the tuned "Government Motors" ZL1 during FB's bonzai run . . . ;)

Wouldn't the Shelby GT1000 be a better comparison to the Lingenfelter? (i.e. tuner car-to-tuner car)

Comment

Who would have thought that in 2012 we would have cars like the ZL1 and the GT500 to buy. Wish I could afford one. I'm looking forward to the GT500 vs ZL1 shootout.
                    used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Of course for the factories the real race is how many they sell.

Comment

Remember the triple threat camaro in hot rod in the '80's?
                        It did 200 mph, 10 sec. et's and pulled 1g on the skid pad. I guess if you have enough money you can buy one now.
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                        X