Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am i the only one that hates buying tires..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind shopping for them, but they have gone up a lot over the past few years.

Weirdly enough, I like the smell of tire stores...
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
      Me too!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I deal with Discount, I always get a good deal and the guys over there are always good at knowing what will fit

Paying for the MF-ers are another story....About 1.5 years back I ahd put a new set of tread on my blue ram, cost me over 1200 bucks...but thats what happens when you run 35-12.5-16's....I shudder to think about what it is gonna cost me to replace the monster tread on the Mustang....285/40/18...ugh...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
          Me too!

I've heard real tire-junkies buy a new tire every month orso and slide it under their bed...
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

The disadvantage to using a 75 series tire is that they are not recognized as a "performance" size. The 75 series tires were typically used on mundane passenger cars and light trucks. It is for this reason you will most likely have an issue finding a sidewall or tread pattern similar to a 60 series tire. TC mentioned a 215/70R15 which will be the same width as the 215/75R15, but it will be a bit shorter. I settled on the 275/60R15's for the rear and the 215/70R15's for the front of my Road Runner and it isn't too bad of a look.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Tires are another thing that has gone crazy price wise in recent years - roofing shingles is another - $25 for one bundle now.... sheesh.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                I like the smell too! I think buying tires would be more fun for me if they had sparkly-ness too them.
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

This used to be the fun part of a build up! I used to swap tires around on my trucks all the time.
                  But man...I was just at the tire store to buy 24x12-12 lawn mower tires (that were $100 each) and overheard a conversation with the sales man and customer....
                  The customer was looking at a set of no name 33" mud tires. These mud tires are so cheap they only come with 16/32's vs 19/32's on other tires... Price? $188 each!!! Over 800 bucks with tax for cheap 33's?!?!?!?

Hell, even the Treadwright retreads are pricey! A 31x10.50-15 mud tire is $136 shipped!
                  TreadWright Tires offers the best aggressive on/off road Mud Terrain & All Terrain Truck Tires at a cutting edge price. USA Made - Free Shipping. Buy Online!

They DISCONTINUED the 33x12.50-15's from lack of retreadable casings!

What I find interesting is how tire prices skyrocketed in mid to late 2000's.... Reason? "Oil costs are high". Which is fine, I can totally understand that. But did tire prices come down in the spring of '09 when oil was dirt cheap? Nope. The price never reflected the low, only the high. The money they must have cashed in charging the same when the price was down must have been substantial.

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  I shudder to think about what it is gonna cost me to replace the monster tread on the Mustang....285/40/18...ugh...
                  I see they are pricing the original GT500 GY F1's pretty cheap at $188 with 80 dollar rebate on four and free shipping..... But those tires have been pretty slippery on the back of my car!
                  Discount Tire Direct is retiring, but check out our partners at Tire Rack! With tires and wheels for virtually every vehicle make and model, Tire Rack is your new source for the best prices and selection for online and mail-order purchases.

Seems like all of the grippier 275/40/18's are at least $220 a tire. There aren't very many 285/40/18's to choose from....

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz View Post

I see they are pricing the original GT500 GY F1's pretty cheap at $188 with 80 dollar rebate on four and free shipping..... But those tires have been pretty slippery on the back of my car!
                    Discount Tire Direct is retiring, but check out our partners at Tire Rack! With tires and wheels for virtually every vehicle make and model, Tire Rack is your new source for the best prices and selection for online and mail-order purchases.

Seems like all of the grippier 275/40/18's are at least $220 a tire. There aren't very many 285/40/18's to choose from....

They are awful on the track, jsut freaking awful and if you get on it on the street...fahgetaboutit....sideways in 3-2-1...

I find new take offs pretty often fro reasonable prices...will probably go that route when I am ready.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

What I find interesting is how tire prices skyrocketed in mid to late 2000's.... Reason? "Oil costs are high". Which is fine, I can totally understand that. But did tire prices come down in the spring of '09 when oil was dirt cheap? Nope. The price never reflected the low, only the high. The money they must have cashed in charging the same when the price was down must have been substantial.

that isnt the only reason.... the tariff on imported tires is HOLY shit outrageous. you would be surprised at how many "major" brand tires are built out of the country. not just in china, there are lots of tires that come from south america. still imports, still taxed.
                      Charles

Comment

I love the smell of new tires in the morning.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I bought a "nothing" set of 205/75/15's for my 66 Vette and spent almost $350

Last edited by groucho; May 3, 2012, 03:34 PM.
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                            I know they are made in the USA if they have the Cooper name on them.
                            Not true, the last pair of Cooper Cobras I bought for my Charger are Mexican. That was around 2 years ago.

Comment

Wanna know where your tires are made? Who made 'em? How old they actually are?

Here's the go-to guide:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Who_Makes_It__Where_2172012_115028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	861768

Any tire store worth their salt will have this publication behind thier counter. Ask to see it.

This is another great source of tire information:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Guide_2172012_10228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	861769

This is a cool guide as it shows what are RECOMMENDED and APPROVED rim sizes for tires. It also has a wealth of info regarding load inflation tables (the proper pressure for the load on the tire) and other rubbery goodness. Again, any tire store worth their salt will have this guide. Ask to see it and get informed.

Or...

You can order them from www.tireguides.com

You can never have too much information.

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X