License plate collecting.. Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate collecting.. Anyone?

I know we all love cars and having plates around kind of goes along with it. I have been collecting plates for a long time(off and on).

When I was a kid my Dad brought me a plate from Costa Rica, I thought that was the coolest! So I just started kind of holding on to them.

Any good stories or pics out there? I know there are collecter sites out there... I was looking for the car guy perspective.

I collect Missouri plates of different years....mostly '60's & '50's
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I have Colorado and a few Missouri plates going back to the late 50's.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I've got '55 Missouri plates on the shoebox..........we're allowed
        YOM plates if the number isn't already in circulation.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My oldest are some Ohio plates from 1908....
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have lots of plates at the moment and plates from all 50 states.

I currently plan on making something very similar to this:

I've also made a few license plate bird houses etc..
            Powertour off/on since 2002
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              I've got '55 Missouri plates on the shoebox..........we're allowed
              YOM plates if the number isn't already in circulation.
              We're allowed that too, but I can't find any '68 CO plates ...
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I have some, mostly ones I've taken off my own vehicles. I have one from Panama, and one from Polk Iowa...I have some older stuff back home..Pa plates with the liberty bell on them. Once I get a real garage, I will put them all up. I love platees but when I find them for sale they are always way more than I want to spend.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My husband! LOREN is the crowned king of collecting license plates!

I have been with him for some acquisitions and have enjoyed his stories about others...I have a penchant for road signs, but will absolutely pull over and pick up a beat up license plate when I see one. Sometimes I have to scope it out a few times then make sure the traffic is light...it is such a rush to grab something off the side of the road!

his stuff.................... my stuff
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	th_Octo001[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	861758Click image for larger version

Name:	th_DSC03186[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	861757

Last edited by LORENSWIFE; May 3, 2012, 08:17 AM.
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                    My husband! LOREN is the crowned king of collecting license plates!

I have been with him for some acquisitions and have enjoyed his stories about others...I have a penchant for road signs, but will absolutely pull over and pick up a beat up license plate when I see one. Sometimes I have to scope it out a few times then make sure the traffic is light...it is such a rush to grab something off the side of the road!

his stuff.................... my stuff
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10760[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10759[/ATTACH]

I would love to get a closer look........can you post those pics in a way I can enlarge them???? My tired old eyes can't make out the writing on the objects in the current pic.

Comment

plate collecting..
                      my uncle did that.

there is plates to keep, regardless of vanity/custom.

maine 1987 for example.

it is the only one. all other years have multiple years.
                      each state must have some story like that. unique colors. etc.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have between 200-250 plates. When I moved across the country I have not out them back on display.

Few weeks ago I acquired a plate from a friend. 1914 CA porcelain plate. It's pretty rad. Most of the ones I have were gifts from family and friends. Or ones that I've found. I'll put some pics on here later tonight of my old garage wall when I had like 100 up on the wall.

Comment

I have one or two of these in the basement back home
                          . Cool plate IMHO.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm not the crowned king of license-plates (I once met an old guy from Glendale CA who had thousands) but have 300 or so, including two of those 1914 CA porcelen ones. They cover the ceiling of the game room and portions of the garage. I only have a half-ass pic of the game room but you get the idea.

As a kid and early-on car nut I once found a plate beside the road while hiking with my parents, I brought it home and thought it was pretty cool. I am the guy who once brought a found Chevy hubcap to first-grade show-and-tell, so this was not entirely a precedent. Later I went to a boarding school along a river where it had been legal to push old car hulks onto the banks to shore up property, and there were fifties and sixties plates on many of them...free for the taking if you could get the rusted old fasteners off. Being the determined type, I finished the school year with a couple dozen at-least, and only a few scrapes from crawling across half-buried Hudsons poking out of water. Family vacations soon netted many more as I'd plead for Dad to stop the car anytime I spied an old car in a rut...I once pulled three sets of early-seventies Alaska plates from rotting hulks in a single county dump, in that state, after I saw a sign for the place and was convinced it'd be fertile hunting ground. Soon friends and relatives got the bug for me and helped out, by pointing me to some particular old trash heap in the woods where they saw one sticking out or just grabbing one from a barn door or whatever (with permission) if they were visiting in the country. My own travels in my twenties added to the collection. A favorite was when I saw a spray-painted sign beside the freeway in AZ saying "For Sale, all goes" and I had to backtrack two miles then take a half-hour of dirt roads to find the place...then be confronted with a shotgun when I reached the gate. I parted as friends with the old screwball geezer, he with ten of my dollars and me with a genuine Arizona copper plate he'd had stuffed behind a pile of crap for years.

Since back when, I haven't gotten to many more as I don't travel much. What I get is either from swap meets, which I try to avoid buying at (because, what's the meaning?) but still give in to temptation, or from freinds or odd situations.

I'm betting that as Gail and I get older, we'll be out more where such a pursuit as license-plate-collecting may lead us to the odd corners of the Southwest at least. Really, the best part of the license-plate collecting thing is the strange places it's taken me.

Comment

Great stuff, Loren!! I love these stories... here are some pics from 2007-08. All of my plates are in crates now. I need to go through them again and get them back on display!

Every one of these plates has a story. Who gave them to me and what car they came from... Or where they were acquired and brought to me...

another random one

stole this pic from the interweb..

Last edited by Dirt Rod; May 3, 2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X