Big Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    That's the mystery. I don't think there's a rev limiter. Saw over 6K three times on that run, the motor didn't fart. I was through watching the tach in 4th at the big end of it. It's gotta be a speed limiter.

Big Brother says that's as fast as you can go in this car. Engine off. Exactly in the time trap. Thanks Big Brother for turning the engine off. Nice to take care of me that way.
    The car absolutely has a rev limiter in it. Probably 7k or so. I see guys run into it at the drag strip when they really wind 'em up or miss a gear while powershifting. The car has a speed limiter and a rev limiter. Most of the speed limiters are set to the rated speed of stock tires. Trucks usually run into it a 115mph or so because that is what the stock rubber is rated at. I don't think they put Z rated tires on those cars stock. Z-rated tires are 149mph+ rated.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

From this distance of time, and given time to think about it...the second run was AS FAST AS RED WILL GO. Downhill with a tailwind, and whatever limiter cut in going through the time trap......that's as fast as Red will go in a mile. Two ways: 1. That's as fast as he'll go, and 2. That's as fast as he can go per ECTA equipped the way he is, barely close and over the safety rating.

Red and I did all we could do. All that was available. Every bit of it. VROOM!
      Last edited by pdub; May 6, 2012, 06:05 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Yes, you hit the speed limiter...which is 100% different than the rev limiter.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I thought Keith was the 'speed limiter' in certain classes... Did PW hit Keith?
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
            I thought Keith was the 'speed limiter' in certain classes... Did PW hit Keith?
            HahahAHaH!!!! Sorry, I had to dig to finish this one. No, I'd rather sandpaper a wildcat's ass than to hit Keith with ANYTHING when he's doing his work at the track. He's the perfect person for that job and he does it so incredibly well. Anybody who doesn't understand any one of Keith's speeches either 1.) Can't hear, or 2.) Wouldn't know to get out of the way of a train, or 3.) The dreaded scenario I worry a bit about - they just don't know Keith and they just don't care - the one-and-out guys.

And to follow up on tires: Y'all may remember before the event I was real concerned that Red "floated" at 110 mph or above. The Ohio experience proved that it was the tires that were on the car when I bought it that were causing that effect. They were some Kabunkee or DoShitYu brand nobody else had even heard of, rated at 120 per the sidewall. The dude must have bought literally the cheapest set of tires he could find to say that the car had new tires on it when it was sold. Yeah, they were new, alright, probably 200 bucks for the whole set, I dunno..

Before the event I sunk BUCKS into a set of tires rated at 160 or something, and going down the Mile, Red sat right there like a submarine all the way to the speed limiter. Felt like I could go around a curve hugging like that, though I'm glad we didn't have to.

Comment

If you get the chance to ride with Keith Turk while he's lecturing someone who went over their speed, I highly recommend taking that ride. I backseated in his truck when he took a young guy out to discuss why we have rules in the ECTA. No yelling, no raising of the voice, just very matter of fact. I think the kid wanted to cry when it was over though. Pure awesomeness.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                If you get the chance to ride with Keith Turk while he's lecturing someone who went over their speed, I highly recommend taking that ride. I backseated in his truck when he took a young guy out to discuss why we have rules in the ECTA. No yelling, no raising of the voice, just very matter of fact. I think the kid wanted to cry when it was over though. Pure awesomeness.
                Yeah, that's what I'm sayin', that's it exactly in better words.
                Last edited by pdub; May 10, 2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X