No announcement yet.

Do you like cars like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top one I like, and I would drive it like that for a while. There is no way I would intentionally make a car look rusty, they do a fine job of that on their own. I drove flat black and rattle can paintjobs for a long time, mainly to keep the rust down. Now that I have the time and place, everything gets painted. With this much old stuff laying around, if it isnt shiny and looks decent from the highway, I would be having problems with nosy neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      TC - these rustwagons are everywhere of late, therefore they cannot be the product of original thinking. They are literally the dime-a-dozen crowd by definition.
      But it's not like going to a car show and seeing 10 '69 Chevelle SS's that the only difference is the paint color.........The RatRod's are all originals, they may use the same year vehicle bodies as a base, but none of them are the same, which makes each and everyone unique in their own way.....

Tell me you wouldn't roll in this car.......

Last edited by TC; May 6, 2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Or how about this guy that ran DragWeek........

Comment

There is alot of difference in this and a junk ratrod.
          Last edited by skullbucket; May 6, 2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

TC please tell me your not comparing the first 2 cars and the ones you posted.... your comparing apples and oranges.....

Comment

NOPE, not my cup of Tea at all! Sorry if I offend anyone but I thought they were ridiculous from day one and that's exactly why I dropped the Magazines that went Ga Ga over them and even covered a few builds!
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

97% of them are complete shit boxes to me, and ive seen ALOT of them
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I like em.... Kind of cartoony but probably fun to build and maybe to drive. Yea they are shit boxes but two of my favorite former cars were shit boxes.

Steve
                  Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

I think the whole idea comes from backwoods wrecker.

Comment

it should be ILLEGAL to use an S-10 chassis in anything without fenders. PERIOD.

Patina is cool though.

And there is huge difference between "RAT RACE" and "RAT ROD."

"RACE car" anything is almost always cool.
                      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

First one TC posted with the silly scoop roof high and shiney boxy tank up front. NO I won't drive it
                        The 2nd with a view out the windshield and moon tank...HELL YEAH
                        Some are ridiclous. Some are cool... I would make them drivers, comfortable and relible with simple paint... That's me. Those guys are different, piercings and tats up the wazoo... Not for me..sorry

Comment

to each his/her own...there are a lot of good ideas out there!! we have all seen some neat cars in various condition..some just looked cool because of their stance...
                          Sean and I still remember being at the world series of drag racing and hearing old timers talk about what a POS garlit's original swamp rat was.... It still beat the Glass Slipper car from cali...

I still think about the potential of these cars when i see the old vehicles and race cars pulled from storage, even before they are cleaned up...Kinda like the Cherry Bomb Truck everybody seemed to drool over when it first showed up....
                          What I'm trying to convey is that it takes all kinds, but at least it is a way for some of the kids these days to get into actually building cars and working on cars, rather than rice rockets, tuners, or hybrids!!!
                          Last edited by silver_bullet; May 6, 2012, 05:43 PM.
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm part of the "to each their own" as long as their car isn't a menace to me (literally) - more power to them
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
                              Used to, they were junk but now when you look at them you can tell the owners have spent countless hours to make it look like that.
                              I watched drive in and out of the cruise in last nite and they are street worthy.
                              Myself they are not for me, im a clean and organize freak, but it takes some imagination!

The first car is okay. It's somewhat restrained. It's almost like what a "barn find" gasser might look like. But that new-looking fake-Moon tank, and the awkward '70s mirrors almost ruin it.

The second car is just too laden with "goop." Too many gimmicks. Too many clashing styles.

The key to rat rodding (which most rat rodders miss) is RESTRAINT!

Given the ridiculous cost of most street rods, the idea of a "rat" has strong appeal. But to just weld together a discordant, unsafe collection of junk is most always a "fail."

Comment

As much as I hate to say this, But Speedzzter said it right for me.
                                Reading , Pa
                                Good Guys rodders rep.
                                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                                X