No announcement yet.

Ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actuality she looked like a average middle aged lady that was simply looking right thru me. If it weren't for the 8mph headwind coming out of the south west, I'd have done the stupid thing of trying to chase her down. ( open country......wasn't going to happen ) Instead I did what I should have wanted to do from the start. For give her and thank God I'm alive.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We have the Lance Armstrong wannabes in the matching gear all over up here. Usually they stay on the shoulder, far enough over not to cause problems, but a few ride on the white lines. I dont mind them but man you sure hear about them from other people up here. No idea why people are so against them, provided they dont impede traffic like the guy who had 25 cars piled up behind him as he rode at about 10mph around the roundabout and half way up the hill in Marquette. People like that are pricks, but most cyclists here arent.

I stopped riding road bikes because the tires cant take a tar strip without bursting. Im a heavy guy so any curb or pothole means I am walking. I got hit on base by a woman who was taking her Captain husband to work, and passed me while I was turning. Didnt even get my bike fixed, E4 gets hit by O3 and its obviously the E4s fault.

Now we ride down the back road and hope nobody is being an idiot going 60 through there, and we listen for idiots driving fast or drunk when we ride. I cant go like I used to, but its the only cardio I can get anymore, and I refuse to stay a fat bastard forever.

Hope you get back to near 100% soon. Also, take a look at Sisu. http://www.sisucycles.com/ He is my father in law's neighbor. Really cool guy, has an old Riviera too. Damn nice bikes he builds.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
        We have the Lance Armstrong wannabes in the matching gear all over up here. Usually they stay on the shoulder, far enough over not to cause problems, but a few ride on the white lines. I dont mind them but man you sure hear about them from other people up here. No idea why people are so against them, provided they dont impede traffic like the guy who had 25 cars piled up behind him as he rode at about 10mph around the roundabout and half way up the hill in Marquette. People like that are pricks, but most cyclists here arent.

I stopped riding road bikes because the tires cant take a tar strip without bursting. Im a heavy guy so any curb or pothole means I am walking. I got hit on base by a woman who was taking her Captain husband to work, and passed me while I was turning. Didnt even get my bike fixed, E4 gets hit by O3 and its obviously the E4s fault.

Now we ride down the back road and hope nobody is being an idiot going 60 through there, and we listen for idiots driving fast or drunk when we ride. I cant go like I used to, but its the only cardio I can get anymore, and I refuse to stay a fat bastard forever.

Hope you get back to near 100% soon. Also, take a look at Sisu. http://www.sisucycles.com/ He is my father in law's neighbor. Really cool guy, has an old Riviera too. Damn nice bikes he builds.
        I had a lady turn into me in while I was riding in a bike lane, fortunately, I could turn with her (why do I know the ones that are going to try to kill me?) what was funny about all of this, her daughter, maybe 3 or 4, was staring at me as this was transpiring. Just shook my head and rode on - what else can I do? It's in Kirkland, the cops there are not friends of bicyclists (they know I say this, it's okay, they complain too much and I'll cut their SAR budget ).

thumpin I'm no better or worse than the rest. I look like a lance armstrong wanna be, have the gear, got the bike, also can smoke most comers on hills - so it does help to be able to back it up.... that said, it still blows me away that people get so irritated when a bike postpones them for 10 seconds where if the person was in a car, they'd postpone them for far longer....

and I'll say it again. There's no such thing as defensive bicycling.... that gets you hurt

thanks for the well-wishes - I tell my friends here I'm 100% after 45 minutes on a bike - before that, hurts like a... errr... well, you know

so, I finally got to ride it today (it's been sprinkling here), I need to change my brake pads - apparently I cooked them when I was trying to stop (they're squealing something aweful)
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 24, 2012, 07:11 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

woohoo, good news, driver's insurance is paying for all my med bills

Comment

WIN!

how about the dental?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              woohoo, good news, driver's insurance is paying for all my med bills
              Sooo... How are YOU?
              Healing well?

Comment

they're paying the dental (which is going to be quite the bill)

I'm doing well, and feeling quite bad that I completely forgot about the demo at Monoe. It truly was on my list, unfortunately, I ended up dealing situation that required me working all weekend.... and that pushed the idea of fun right out the door (so busy whining that I didn't remember - even though I could have made the time.... dang I hate it when I do that).

Comment

Glad to hear the bills are getting paid and you are getting better. I have not been hit yet, but have had some close calls. 10-4 on defensive bicycling getting you hurt-- it's all about avoidance.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                  X