Yesterday's Dumb Move of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's Dumb Move of the Day

Kingsford (our trusty Standard Poodle) and I pulled a boneheaded move yesterday. I was, as usual, out running him around our 0.6 mile circle with the motor scooter. Someone had installed a black plastic stick with a reflector on it (sort of a home version of a delineator) on the side of the street where The Boy likes to run. So he went to the far side of the delineator and got spooked when his lead got yanked, causing him to run away from the pressure. Turns out that 60 lbs. of dog is enough to unbalance a scooter rider and topple the whole deal. So The Dad Guy and King's scooter went down in the road.

I'm sort of beat up but there was no serious damage. At least, I don't THINK there was any serious damage - I decided not to take the trip to the doc unless the aches and pains continue for a few days.

Anyhow, I'm NOT looking for sympathy. This is really a cautionary tale. I'm in the habit of wearing a helmet on these excursions and sometimes feel silly for doing it - our max speed rarely exceeds 12 MPH. So I had a helmet on yesterday and it was a darn good thing. I felt my head hit the pavement HARD and w/o a brain box it would have been a whole lot worse. Or if I'd been wearing one of those little skull cap helmets that you see the Harley guys wearing. I hit hard on the back of my head and it might have gone under anything less than a 3/4 helmet (open face) such as I was wearing. So guys - wear those helmets! Asphalt rash and pulled muscles are bad enough without a concussion and asphalt rash of the head.

King and the scooter are fine.

Dan

So poodles are actually more dangerous than horses Dan?
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Glad to know you were wearing a brain bucket and that you're not too worse for wear.

I can't believe Michigan has let the helmet law lax - you have to have a $20k additional medical coverage on your cycle insurance to go without a helmet.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Glad you are fine Dan - Indian Larry died from head trauma incurred during a motorcyle accident at 15 mph. The chopper world will be less without him. Point is - 15 mph.

I have (had) a fully rashed full face that started the rash where the chin piece is. I'm a believer. Thanks for the post - really glad you guys are okay.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Glad your going to be alright Dan, and your definitely right about wearing your helmet it is a good thing.....

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            So poodles are actually more dangerous than horses Dan?
            Nope! I've had SEROIUS horse injuries including being run over by one (too long of a story to type here but it wasn't good). I also broke my arm coming to a fence in a practice ring just before going into the ring for my round. I'd say scooters are almost exactly as dangerous as horses, however.

And to all - THANKS. The Boy seems fine and I........will be.

Dan

Comment

This is much safer.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Glad you're okish... Neighbor was out riding his Harley, wearing a small bucket... F'd him up real good when the deer he tried to miss at 35-45 mph coul dn't decide if it was coming or going... ICU for a week plus... Been neighnors 15+ years at the time, didn't know me... Still not " right "
                So...heal well..

Comment

hate horses...but I digress

Them brain buckets are a darn good thing. I used to do a lot of road biking and one day I came to a stop and for some reason my shoe lock stuck and I could not unclip....I fell over...from a dead stop...and racked my pumpkin hard against a curb...had I not had that dorky little platic and foam device on, I suspect I woulda had multiple stitches at a minimum...maybe a concussion....or worse
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

[QUOTE=Beagle;638778]Glad you are fine Dan - Indian Larry died from head trauma incurred during a motorcyle accident at 15 mph. The chopper world will be less without him. Point is - 15 mph.

I didn't know Indian Larry's crash was at such a low speed. Now I don't feel so silly for wearing a helmet when just chugging around. Sucks that we lost such an original to a low speed crash.

John - I wondered why I was seeing guys riding w/o helmets in MI. Bikers like to say that the helmet laws are an infringement of their "personal rights" but who pays when they end up in the hospital for months at a time? That would be you and me. Even if they have insurance there's a dollar limit on it and when it runs out we all pay. So it IS our business. Besides, being a vegetable SUCKS (I've come close enough to know).

Dan

Comment

Indian Larry was standing on his seat, as he is known to do to prove how nice his bikes track...

Comment

Glad you're going to be okay Dan!
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Next time play it safe!

Powertour off/on since 2002
                          sigpic

Comment

Bikes can be dangerous. Ain't that right SBG? I am glad to hear you are ok. I wasn't wearing a helmet back in 1980 when i crashed my 10 speed... epidural hematoma.... 'course back then folks didn't wear helmets... take it easy and relax for a few days, let those muscles heal!
                            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                              Bikes can be dangerous. Ain't that right SBG? I am glad to hear you are ok. I wasn't wearing a helmet back in 1980 when i crashed my 10 speed... epidural hematoma.... 'course back then folks didn't wear helmets... take it easy and relax for a few days, let those muscles heal!
                              I KNEW there was a connection between us! I just KNEW it. 14 years old, I suffered a subdural hemotoma at the doctor's office when I passed out in the lobby after getting a wart burned off and cracked my skull on the tile floor...

So, do we need to wear a full coverage helmet to the doctor's office? Might be a good idea.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X