True or False you have to cheat to win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or False you have to cheat to win

I was watching HRTV, and Charlie Coker said something that made me think "hmm, is it true". He said "In hot rodding you have to put your toe just across the start line, and not get caught, to win."

True or False?
    True
    12.50%
    False
    87.50%
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Define cheating. If the rules do not specifically forbid it, yet it is outside the spirit of the event, is it cheating?

If the answer is yes, then my answer is yes also.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

If you have cheated you have already lost - and you're a loser. This is not to say that you shouldn't gain every advantage within the rules. Lying about your engine displacement is not the same as, say, finding a body mod that was available on your type of car but not fitted to your particular car. (I know - I sound like an LSR guy).

Dan

Comment

I think it depends on a lot of things, what you are racing, who, how are you supposly cheating and so on. Probably the guys you think are cheating arn't, and the guys you would never suspect are. I've seen people cheat and still lose, it makes for a long supply of jokes later on.
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I don't think it a requirement to win. "Cheating" being doing something blatantly against the rules. I do think a lot of it is mental (people thinking you are cheating) and some may be sleight of hand (actually cheating, but not where everyone thinks you are.)
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Simple, make a class of racing that says it's okay to cheat. Then no one will.
            Powertour off/on since 2002
            sigpic

Comment

Man, I thought this horse had been beat to death, but here it raises its ugly head once again...

If the Wayne County guys say it was a broken distributor rotor, then I belive them.

Ron
              Last edited by Ron Ward; May 9, 2012, 10:27 AM.
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
                Simple, make a class of racing that says it's okay to cheat. Then no one will.
                I say it's been tried in every sport. If it weren't cheating, there wouldn't be a rule against it. Or put another way - good facts make bad laws.

I'm surprised no one has said "one man's innovation is another's cheating"

And Ron, leave it to you to bring out the clown
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 9, 2012, 10:28 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

In general, I would say no. But there's a couple race series out there where cheating is so rampant that you may need it to win.

Comment

Double edge sword. I know a plenty a roundy pound racers
                    Who have built there cars up to and around the loop holes to stay competitive. Why do you think they get faster every year. It's all about what you can do and push the limits until breaking point. But yes cheating is wrong.
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

In a simple word..NO..
                      There are gray areas... Trodding there means cheating? ... NO
                      "Everybody does it so we have to". Makes it right? ...NO...

We bring legal cars to every derby... When others say " CHEATERS". We hand them the rule sheets, and say " PROVE IT"
                      it gets old running against plated and reinforced cars when ours are not... My son once said, "We can hold all the plate in my career (16years he is 32 now) in one hand". And it is TRUE... He junks cars we legally can plate... Just to avoud the controsovy. (sp?)

The main problem is tech who know not what they seek.. Or enforcing the rules.. Probably can be applied in ALL venues of motorsports

Comment

Back in the early days of Jr. Stock and Super Stock if you weren't cheating like everybody else you didn't have a prayer! Do I have stories, probably hundreds!
                        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

If you know how to build a motor and setup a chassis, you will not need to cheat...........

Comment

I've had three rules written, in the class we are supposed to race in, in response to our car. Did I cheat, no, that's why they rewrote the rules. Interpretation of the rules is in the mind of the reader. Each time they rewrote the rules we discussed how the rules, as originally written, did not preclude what I had done. But in their minds my work was outside the "spirit" of the rules. "Spirit" of the rules is crap. But, rulemaking is hard, how do you think of every possible interpretation?

I think Corky is actually talking about pushing the envelope, not out-right cheating.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Interesting in that the poll question doesn't read the same as the thread title as that leaves room for interpretation just as Bob points out. I've cuased a few rules to be changed after certain antics as well. Weren't cheatin' just exploring the boundaries.

And no you do not have to cheat to win and if you are in a situation where everybody is as Phil mentions like pro-cycling or 70's stock eliminator you have to go with your conscience.
                              Last edited by CDMBill; May 9, 2012, 05:06 PM.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X