Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
    I did 8 years in the Navy .....

In his career choice, have him make sure its something he wants to do, and see what kind of jobs there are in the outside world after he chooses to leave the military related to the field he worked in.
    That is my biggest issue with the military and discussed it at length with my son too. lol. Is it possible to see a job description for the position you are interested in? How else would you know what you are truly signing up for?

You guys are great with the advice. Thank you.
    Last edited by LadyGT; May 11, 2012, 03:20 AM.
    2006 HRPT LH
    2007 HRPT LH
    2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

I suspect this is the old name of the job but here is a description of what he would do. http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...jobs2/blew.htm

If you read the Navy description is all fluff and bull shit just like the job descriptions in every branch of the service. They write it to be very vague.

If the job he is looking at and the one I linked are one in the same there are jobs out there. Contract jobs overseas, NSA, contracting with the USAF, ARMY, Boarder Patroll...My father in law did a job similar to this for the USAF and NSA and then contracted to the UAE for many years, he is now retired living a simple life in Thailand.

And if he is only going to do 4,6 or 8 years honestly, who cares if the job links with something on the outside, he is still young, has a good life experience and has a step up on any civillian out there in terms of experience and dicipline. LOTS of people do short stints in active duty then get out and never work in that particular field again.
      Last edited by JOES66FURY; May 11, 2012, 06:19 AM.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I will just reiterate that the link you originally posted was for a specific Navy officer postition with a very specific career path (Information Warfare Officer.) Most of the advice you are getting above does not apply (most of it applies to enlisted careers.) I am not an Information Warfare officer or an officer (note officer) recruiter so I can't say anything more than I already have. Talking to lots of people is good. Make sure they are the right ones! Hopefully the advice you act upon doesn't come from an automotive-themed website! No offense is meant to anyone here, I include myself in the group that is unable to address your son's specific choice. We can tell sea stories though!

And just to clarify, I am an active-duty navy officer with 16 years of service.
        Last edited by 67pete300; May 11, 2012, 08:56 AM.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGT View Post
          Is it possible to see a job description for the position you are interested in? How else would you know what you are truly signing up for?
          Didn't you post that link in your original question? The one your son gave you? That's the job description he's interested in right?
          1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300 View Post
            Didn't you post that link in your original question? The one your son gave you? That's the job description he's interested in right?
            The link is what my son found on the internet. I think there is more to that particular position. I agree with a previous poster that it could be all fluff to get your attention. I was wondering if a recruiter has something in his files with the actual duties/responsibilities listed.
            2006 HRPT LH
            2007 HRPT LH
            2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

The link is what my son found on the internet. I think there is more to that particular position. I agree with a previous poster that it could be all fluff to get your attention. I was wondering if a recruiter has something in his files with the actual duties/responsibilities listed.
              Ok, I give. You agree with the previous poster who is not in the navy and was not an officer. I'm glad your son is talking to a recruiter.

Comment

It appears that I have offended someone with my posts. My intent was to simpy state that your boy needs to find out the details and make an informed decision.

Please ignore anything I have posted in regards to the OP.

Pete is correct though, being a NAvy O, he is the best one to be able to answer your questions. Finding an O carrere path is considerably different than being an enlisted guy.

Best of luck to your boy.
                Last edited by JOES66FURY; May 11, 2012, 12:18 PM.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I did 6 years in Electronic Warfare and worked with officers daily though I was not one. I'm sure the equipment has changed since I got out but my guess is much of the environment/ culture is still similar. Working in a position with classified information and operations carries it's own set of restrictions and changes to your life. Living on board a ship is also a difficult life and takes some getting used to. There are no weekends at sea and your workday is 24/7 as needed.

He should also get used to the idea of not doing just one job. When assigned to a ship, everyone (enlisted and officer) must pickup secondary and even tertiary duties and responsibilities due to the limited number of staff. This often includes things outside your area of focus and/or comfort zone. This can be trying but the plus side is that if you make the best of it, you come out that much more prepared for life in general with new abilities in multi-tasking, crisis control, and management of resources be they equipment or personnel. As an officer, this is especially beneficial externally as you have the added training and operational experience of leading groups within a hierarchy and potentially in tactical situations. I had a great deal of respect for our Division Officer on the Enterprise and I remember thinking he would certainly go on to great things.

I did a lot of growing up in the Navy and the lessons learned living it for 6 years helped me accomplish many things simultaneously once I left. It was a hard life at times but certainly a great precursor to a life on my own. I wouldn't say going in as an officer is going to be any easier, but it will have its advantages and certainly pay dividends if he decides not to make a career of it.

As was said above, talking to active duty folks who are not trying to recruit you is a great way to get straight current information. It's possible that the recruiter can set something up if you're in the area of an active duty station. Be advised however that there likely won't be any tours or in depth discussions of these particular jobs as he will run into the old 'it's classified' wall. The more information he can get though, the better he will be prepared to make the commitment.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a guaranteed job as an officer, but I would suggest trying. If not, he could wind up starting as a junior officer down in the engine rooms or something similar which will be far from his computer training. This would still be a very important position of responsibility and leadership that would provide similar personal growth, just not what he had in mind.

added note: after writing this I thought I'd google that Division Officer I mentioned...I was right - he is now a Deputy Chief at the DIA
                  Last edited by Dignlif; May 11, 2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: added note
                  Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

...And just to clarify, I am an active-duty navy officer with 16 years of service.
                    I have tremendous respect for everyone within our military. Thank you for your service.

I'm curious... after 16 years, what rank... Lt. Commander?
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Ok, I give. You agree with the previous poster who is not in the navy and was not an officer. I'm glad your son is talking to a recruiter.
                      I apologize for offending anybody here. My point of view is this. If you have an opening in your company and place an ad in the local paper, you will word it to draw in possible candidates, but when you actually get the job, the duties may or may not be the same as advertised. That is why I asked it was possible to actually see the actual job description.

I had a job in CA as a word processor and at the bottom it said "any duties as assigned." Well, I ended up being the fleet car manager in addition to my regular job. There was nothing in my job description relating to managing cars.
                      2006 HRPT LH
                      2007 HRPT LH
                      2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

I apologize for offending anybody here. My point of view is this. If you have an opening in your company and place an ad in the local paper, you will word it to draw in possible candidates, but when you actually get the job, the duties may or may not be the same as advertised. That is why I asked it was possible to actually see the actual job description.

I had a job in CA as a word processor and at the bottom it said "any duties as assigned." Well, I ended up being the fleet car manager in addition to my regular job. There was nothing in my job description relating to managing cars.
                        No worries, I'm not offended. It just seems to me like you aren't so interested in your son joining the Navy and I hope that he gets to make his decision with accurate guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
                          I have tremendous respect for everyone within our military. Thank you for your service.

I'm curious... after 16 years, what rank... Lt. Commander?
                          Commander.

Comment

No worries, I'm not offended. It just seems to me like you aren't so interested in your son joining the Navy and I hope that he gets to make his decision with accurate guidance.
                            Good and thank you. I cannot tell my son what to do any more. He won't let me. lol. I just want him to be happy and well informed with whatever decision he makes. Warner Robins, GA, is an Air Force town so getting accurate advice is difficult.
                            2006 HRPT LH
                            2007 HRPT LH
                            2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

I spent 6 years in the Navy.1965 to 1971.My Son in law is currently a Recruiter for the U S Army and was just offered a W.O. position and going onto the military is a big decision ,good luck and thanks in advance for service.
                              Last edited by 63 falcon; May 13, 2012, 06:39 PM.
                              Danny/Zachary
                              HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X