Any Navy Personnel Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Navy Personnel Here?

My son, Ryan, just informed me he visited the recruiters this morning and is interested in this position

Get a job as an information systems technician (IT) in the U.S. Navy. Keep the information technology of America's Navy running safely at optimum speeds.

Ryan is currently working on his 4 year degree in Computer Technology and wants to actually work hands on with computers rather than push papers which an officer would end up doing. He wants to travel so I am excited for him.

Do we have any Navy personnel on board here to give me some feedback?

Denise
    Last edited by LadyGT; May 9, 2012, 12:23 PM.
    2006 HRPT LH
    2007 HRPT LH
    2011 Valdosta Stop

Is he going to OTS or is he going enlisted, if he is going to be an officer...go for it. Not in the Navy but have been active duty for 18 years...its a good life.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Shannon hasn't been on here much lately but he was a Navy recruiter - can't remember his screen name now either. Lots of help aren't I ?
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

seems a good leap for integrity.

I went computers after getting dismantled by 50 year old airplanes (crew chief kc135e)

one thing remains the same in all the branches....depending on job, transition back to real world can be a psychological strain.

that page you listed has simple jobs from collecting weather data, to all out top secret warfare.

one goes home smiling.

it is up to your son I would hope.
        being officer, they get the help needed anyway.

the rest of the 1million piece of craps , well...good luck.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I was a surface sonar technician from 92-96 and aboard a frigate for 3 years.

Enlisted:

An EW (Electronic Warfare) tech on a ship will while at sea spend half his time monitoring a superfancy radar detector, and the rest cleaning, doing maintenance, etc. He'll get training in electronics, but only if he signs on for 6 years, 4 years or less get only operator training. Other specialties are broadly similar.

With a 4 year degree in Computer Technology he should be well ahead of any Naval training. Techs are taught to troubleshoot down to the point of swapping out adapter cards.

If he goes, I'd highly recommend that he go Officer. Better pay, duty, and resume. He'll start off as a Division Officer. For example my division consisted the Sonar, Electronic Warfare, and Torpedo guys, about 15 in all. He'll learn about all the specialties and how they apply without having to get into the nuts and bolts. For the enlisted guy, you learn nuts and bolts are dirty.

Comment

As a career naval officer I will not discourage any young person interested in the Navy. But here are a few thoughts.

The link you provided is for a position as an Information Warfare Officer (not enlisted.) This requires the 4 year degree and Officer Candidate School plus the specialized training listed. This Information Warfare community is relatively new, and reflects the Navy's recognition that effectively harnessing the vast amounts of data available in the information age is critical to success on the battlefield. So we need experts trained in this field just like we need experts trained in operating ships, submarines and aircraft. It is all very relevant stuff and the training should carry over well into the civilian world when the time comes.

It is an officer position, and ultimately any officer's primary role is to LEAD PEOPLE. Take a close look at the specific responsibilities listed and ask your son if these meet his "hands on" criteria and don't qualify as "pushing paper." The enlisted folks will be the ones with their hands on the computers. There are plenty of enlisted folks with degrees (and we always need smart, technically trained enlisted folks), so don't think that the 4 year degree is a disqualifier for an enlisted career (although the officer pay and benefits are clearly better.)

The travel is pretty much guaranteed.

Overall, it is a great choice. But he should learn as much as he can before he makes it.
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

US Navy Seabees
              Builder 2nd Class

Nothing like what your son is looking at
              but a great outfit
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

7 years Navy here. 79 to 86. DTR2. Go Officer if he is going to enlist. With his education it would be best. More responsibility but also more respect.
                OH YEAH
                Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

4 years Navy here. 3 1/2 on diesel boats (diesel electric submarines) can't recall ever talking to anyone who regretted their time in the Navy.

Comment

Recruiters are trying to fill slots so be careful. Read and reread everything before he signs is my suggestion Denise. My recruiter left out some important facts on my paperwork and I didn't get the position I signed up for. Qualified for nuclear propulsion school and wound up painting aircraft thanks to his "dropping" the ball.
                    Last edited by Pumpkin; May 9, 2012, 11:15 PM.
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                      Recruiters are trying to fill slots so be careful. Read and reread everything before he signs is my suggestion Denise. My recruiter left out some important facts on my paperwork and I didn't get the position I signed up for. Qualified for nuclear propulsion school and wound up painting aircraft thanks to his "dropping" the ball.
                      Thank Matt. I agree and told him the same thing before you posted. Unfortunately, my son thinks anything I say is not worth listening to. You all know how it is with kids. Parents know nothing. I wanted him to listen to those who have first hand experience before signing on the dotted line.
                      2006 HRPT LH
                      2007 HRPT LH
                      2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

have him log on and join up, we talked extensivley to Kyle before he joined the Navy...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                          Recruiters can be that way, so it is always a good idea to make sure you get the guaranteed MOS in writing and have someone else read the paperwork to be sure.
                          I was guaranteed Avionics, but the recruiter told me point blank that he could not guarantee whether I'd be "I level" or "O level" (fix the black boxes or fix the aircraft itself) , or which aircraft I would be working on - that stuff is all determined based on the need / demand at the time you graduate from the school.

I think the recruiter member here is named "hillbilly sailor" or something like that. Hopefully he comes around, or perhaps Lady GT can send him a PM ...

Comment

Recruiters are told to give jsut enuff info to hook the person, dont divulge too many details and never gauarantee anything

Mine was a straight shooter and I was 100% ready when I got to basic/tech training...so many others were angry that their recruiter lied or was not 100% honest or that they left out a lot of detail.

Back when I came in we had to pick 6 jobs and the USAF would fill thsoe billets by need at the time. I was given a job I did not really want so I walked away from the table and joined about a year later with a job 100% guaranteed that I wanted.

It is imprtant to read all the details about the job you are looking at and then asking questions, never assume anything with the armed services, the lingo is very different and they use terms that realll fluff a position into sounding supre awesome and exciting, but then you find out your job for the next 4 years is to drive a truck around deilvering fuel to airplanes or handing out basketballs at the gym.

Comment

I did 8 years in the Navy .....

In his career choice, have him make sure its something he wants to do, and see what kind of jobs there are in the outside world after he chooses to leave the military related to the field he worked in.

depending on where he gets stationed ( east coast / west coast / somewhere else in the world ) it'll depend on what and where he might go in the world - I was stationed on the west coast / japan I traveled all thru out the pacific rim and into the persian gulf.

Saw ALOT of stuff, and things I DIDNT want to see - that kinda thing happens when you get selected to crew an amphibious assault ship whos main purpose was to transport Seal Team 5 thru out various hot spots in that part of the world - side note - ever see Black Hawk Down when Seal Team 5 goes in the rescue the army rangers ----- yea I knew those guys and heard the stories from what they went thru

places I did get to visit in the navy San Francisco, Juneau and Dutch Harbour Alaska, Alcapulco, Hawaii (7 times) Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Abu Duabi, all over Japan, Thailand, Guam, Phillipines, Austrailia, and a few other places that excape me at the moment
                              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                              X