Red Got Two New Windshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Got Two New Windshields

I was passing a truck underneath the bridges in Cincinnatti, and POW! Red's windshield got cracked by a rock thrown up from a truck.

And it got worse on the way home when a giant spitball flew out of an empty dumpster...I think I've documented it here already.

So Safelite came here and replaced the windshield, right in the driveway at Weeville.

It squeaked on the bumps. Like squeaky leather shoes on a hard tile floor. Squeak, squeak squeak. Annoying, never had that before. So they came and put in another one today.

I was at work while the job was being done at home. The guys who came out today pointed out that if you press on the dashboard at a certain point near the corners of the windshield, both sides driver and passenger...there's the squeak.

Sue Unit watched them replace the windshield both times, and they used a duckbill platypuss sort of a spreader thing to pop the old windshield out from the inside both times.

Mashed the dashboard. Install new windshield, install new squeak. I'll drive Red to work tomorrow. It he's still got a squeak, that's what I've got. A squeak. Thanks to the new windshield.

Morale of the story: Don't drive through downtown Cincinnati. The roads are beat up and terrible and rocks fly everywhere.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

haha.

a squeak.
    I am still in my own install, similar weirdness in alot of cars. "windshield weld" butyl rubber and an extra two tubes of silicone...getting thrashed the same as cincinatti streets here in bangor.

The body is counting on it as percentage of structure. a mustang guru no doubt has perfect advice.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You know what they say about squeaks? Lubricate them.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        You know what they say about squeaks? Lubricate them.
        What with? KY?

Comment

When I got home today and mashed on the dash at a certain point, by golly I can stop that. I folded up a piece of paper and was gonna shim it, the mashed-flat dash where it meets the windshield.

Nothing doing. That gap's too big. And it's like you can see all the way into the engine compartment from there when you situate your head and look at it just right.. The guys mashed the dash flat with the windshield removing tool.

Squeak squeak squeak, it'll be a way of life from now on.
          Last edited by pdub; May 9, 2012, 06:18 PM.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Any way you can squirt some expanding foam under it?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Turn up the radio
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

if the dash is damaged, you should tell them about it, so they can investigate and prevent it from happening to other folks cars.....

squeaks suck. i drive an old truck. i hear ya.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  What with? KY?
                  No, Smuckers!
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

yup squeak suck i drive 2 late 90's plastic era GMs they squeaked when new
                    Last edited by Mater; May 9, 2012, 08:03 PM.
                    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

there is a large part of me that wonders about Safelite. They have yet to install a windshield that they didn't have to reinstall because of problems (H3, GTO, Diesel truck)... H3 got 3 windshields, GTO 2, Diesel truck 2 plus new rubber seal. Yet the same guy still works for the company.... which makes me wonder if they get paid somehow for doing the repairs - like insurance - and that makes them profitable. They use good glass, yet they're still the same cost at the gypsies.... inquiring minds want to know
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What with? KY?
                        I was thinking a dry lube... sprayable, perhaps.
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          there is a large part of me that wonders about Safelite. They have yet to install a windshield that they didn't have to reinstall because of problems (H3, GTO, Diesel truck)... H3 got 3 windshields, GTO 2, Diesel truck 2 plus new rubber seal. Yet the same guy still works for the company.... which makes me wonder if they get paid somehow for doing the repairs - like insurance - and that makes them profitable. They use good glass, yet they're still the same cost at the gypsies.... inquiring minds want to know
                          thankfully i found a good local glass shop that is only a mile from my house. so far they have done great work. yes i have to bring the car there but it's not that big of deal to me
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

they make an arisol dry graphite lube

Comment

The "other Bob" caught it...(exellent choice by the way..lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X