U-joint install tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-joint install tools

Braub's driveshaft misfortune got me thinking about u-joints. So, what do you use to put them in? Press? Vice and some sockets? Those techniques are for chumps and losers. All you need is a BFH and the right touch to do it right. Those cups will slide in smooth as butter, and much less a chance of distorting the yoke or damaging parts.
    -dulcich

that depends on whether or not your hammer-swinging technique has been likened to an old lady swatting flies with a broom.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 10, 2012, 06:58 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

When I worked at the gas station in high school, the mechanic, an old guy named Manny would blast them in with a BFH...no BS. I suck at life bad enough as it is, so I am a vice/socket guy and if I can mooch it, a press kinda dude.

Sorry unk.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Yep, BFH and a vice.

Except those damn GM shafts that have the F'n nylon retention. Need to burn that out first before you wield the big hammer!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          When I worked at the gas station in high school, the mechanic, an old guy named Manny would blast them in with a BFH...no BS. I suck at life bad enough as it is, so I am a vice/socket guy and if I can mooch it, a press kinda dude.

Sorry unk.
          I should post a vid and show you kids how it's done. The BFH system makes those cups glide in as smooth as as a silk dress off a Vegas whore, with no chance of pinching and distorting the yoke. I've seen plenty of yokes damaged by the brute force of a vice or press.
          -dulcich

Comment

The old man at the gas station was like Miagi with that thing. He'd line 'er up and WHAMO! One shot every time.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Been a few years since I've done any but , I think I use a hammer and a socket or two.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                Been a few years since I've done any but , I think I use a hammer and a socket or two.
                Sockets are for turning bolts; the proper wielding of a hammer is for putting in U-joints.
                -dulcich
                Last edited by dulcich; May 10, 2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Heh.. I have a press, but I use a BFH and a drift I made from a broken 1/2" ratchet. Got it down to a science after all these years, takes me all of 15 minutes.

Comment

I think we should have a technique showdown to see which is best.......and for me to learn new ways of doing u joints.....
                    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

hammer, and some sockets, and a 2x4. And I don't heat the Saginaw joints to remove them, I just use the hammer and sockets.

I also have a special tool I made that supports the cross on a U joint to help remove it.

The trans shop I worked at years ago had a special tool for doing that, I think it was from Lempco, but my memory is failing me
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hammer, brass drift, sockets, cussing...all work good... Vise... Never had one big nuff..

Comment

You guys need to keep the sockets and drifts in the toolbox. The hammer alone does the work, and drives it together so smoothly its like poetry. Squirrel is right, though, you need to support the cross.
                          -dulcich
                          Last edited by dulcich; May 10, 2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I got in a habit of seeing how rigs were done, they may be easier than an 80s subaru. in fact. yes. they are easier than 80s subaru.

I tried fixing the little wagon the hammer way.. to found out they make nothing to repair them with..and if a subaru eats a yoke, scrap the whole car.

(that advice was real )

unless you are a unibody welding mad man...it will do it again.

that still makes me wonder if a split shaft can go into brians cop car. error would have stayed at one end of a problem.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                              I got in a habit of seeing how rigs were done, they may be easier than an 80s subaru. in fact. yes. they are easier than 80s subaru.

I tried fixing the little wagon the hammer way.. to found out they make nothing to repair them with..and if a subaru eats a yoke, scrap the whole car.

(that advice was real )

unless you are a unibody welding mad man...it will do it again.

that still makes me wonder if a split shaft can go into brians cop car. error would have stayed at one end of a problem.
                              The spilt shaft problems subjugate the reality of chrome and nickel enhanced iron. If four pistons, two in tandem synchronize at 180-degrees, the god particle becomes known to physics, but the link fragile and flawed. Two joints, fighting angular acceleration and deceleration, per half rotation, a schism to constant velocity perfection. Tubular form, yes, concentric and proper, fighting and bound by angular acceleration. The shaft suffers, twisted and distorted prey it is of angular acceleration.
                              -B3M - - er -dulcich

Comment

Working...
                              X