Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need more laws to control how we drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I just saw a commercial on TV about cars that will override your driving to apply the brakes - what about when you just must demo-derby your car? Next they're going to make 4x4s that won't let you drive over those annoying little cars... where does the madness end?!!!!
    Now I do believe there should always be an over ride system, and I definitly don't want my car automatically applying the brakes for me, unless it also has turboboost, talks to me, scans through walls, can hack computer systems, is bullet proof, oh and can drive itself
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I think I saw something like that on a movie called Wall-E
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just saw a commercial on TV about cars that will override your driving to apply the brakes
        We already have cars that won't apply the brakes when you press on the pedal.

Yeah, when does the madness end?
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Believe it or not a made it from Tx to Ca and back WITHOUT even a radio in my 68 Mustang.3400 miles round trip. I did cheat a little, I used my iPod in west Texas and some of Ca. but only on IH10 and in the middle of nowhere. Stroked 390 sounds pretty good at 2400rpm and 80MPH.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            We already have cars that won't apply the brakes when you press on the pedal.

Yeah, when does the madness end?
            It doesn't end until you invent the force field..........So get to work Jim..........

Comment

This just in in "news everyone already knew" Randal likes rocks

I just saw a commercial on TV about cars that will override your driving to apply the brakes - what about when you just must demo-derby your car? Next they're going to make 4x4s that won't let you drive over those annoying little cars... where does the madness end?!!!!

Alot of cars have a kill switch so when you wreck, the motor stops... Lincoln is one that has it... Guy in Crescent City CA had one and still had the air bag in the car... He was too busy running around the pits calling everybody cheaters especially when his car died after ONE HIT... when we get into the newer Lincs, we will prolly just swap our Freightliner splined column in... No air bag ..

Comment

I'm guessing that "demo-derby" isn't really very high on the anticipated uses list during product development.

The "madness" will end (or be somewhat curtailed) when the ambulance-chasing products liability pirates (contingency fee lawyers) are reigned in. Until then, the OEMs will demand regulatory standards** and add intrusive electronic nannies in order to help protect themselves from crazy-wild juries.

On the other hand, but for electronic nannies, do you think that the OEMs would dare sell anything like a 662-h.p., 200+ m.p.h. pony car?

**Did you really think that the huge OEMs are still against the regulatory state? Although they object to some expensive regulations (e.g. stronger roll-over standards), they like the "shielding," market entry barrier, public relations, and predicability effects of most regulations.

Comment

Think Airbus.......electronic 'intelligence' overrides are not as cool as you might think........on the other hand, reigning in the trial lawyers is a very good idea........
                  Last edited by oletrux4evr; May 14, 2012, 04:37 PM.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Alot of cars have a kill switch so when you wreck, the motor stops... Lincoln is one that has it... Guy in Crescent City CA had one and still had the air bag in the car... He was too busy running around the pits calling everybody cheaters especially when his car died after ONE HIT... when we get into the newer Lincs, we will prolly just swap our Freightliner splined column in... No air bag ..
                    My '98 Sebring had it, and I'm sure a lot of vehicles even older than that do. It's nothing new.

Comment

The interesting thing about the self driving cars is that there is no established law over who is at fault if the car wrecks. My assumption is that no company will want to take on the risk assumed.

I forsee an pseudo autopilot that will always require some sort of driver feedback. Still, imagine the enabling nature this technology will be to an impaired driver...
                      Powertour off/on since 2002
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Might not have a choice some day...
                        as long as i can still work with my hands it never will come to that
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                          My '98 Sebring had it, and I'm sure a lot of vehicles even older than that do. It's nothing new.
                          my 1990 f150 had one not sure how far back they go but i think ever sense ford started using EFI in the 80's
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

The technology to actually have a car that can 'see', 'hear' and 'anticipate' the actions of other vehicles is here right now.

The technology to turn a regular road into a 'smart' road is prohibitive and would also take a prohibitively long time to implement.

So the idea that was prevalent - that roads would tell the car where to go - is not feasible and will not be implemented. - but -
                            the car that is able to run on its own autonomously - with no help from roadside sensors or comm - is being implemented now.
                            the insurance companies run the world and they see a future where people can be removed from the equation when it comes to one of the worlds greatest liability creators....driving. this does not mean your insurance rates will go down....

A few years of driverless cars on the road will open the door to all cars being manufactured with the technology and mandated by big brother. The masses will get used to the idea of not having to take the risk of driving. Safety will improve. Traffic deaths will go down.
                            and that will enable the legislators to point to the fact that those that do still enjoy the drive are risk takers and a danger to all the rest of society. And -imo- driving will eventually be banned. Now I see this action takin' a fairly long time. probably long enough for those of us who love to drive to get old enough that we don't wanna fight for it... or we are dead.

But i could be wrong. Technology progresses much faster than i ever imagined when i was a kid, so it may happen within 20 yr or so...the technology is already here, Govt, just needs to be able to implement it without too much bitchin' from folks like us.

I LOVE to drive. Period. Gettin behind the wheel is one of my true pleasures in life. it is a lot of fun for me. even having to deal with all the incompetant boobs out there behind the wheel of their pious priuses and the folks who are simply unable to think fast enough to be a competant driver.

There is a tandom technology coming to fruition -Thankyou Darpa- VTV communications. When you get the insurance companies mandating Vehicle to Vehicle comm boxes installed in all new cars - on the premise of improved safety- the hand writing will be on the wall and time will be runnin out for those of us who enjoy driving. If society is unable to drive for itself, what happens to our hobby?

Obviously you would not be legally allowed to modify a self driving car for more performance ... duh. and racing, well i see it losing its fan base - so to speak!

this is all just food for thought and prolly kinda crazy talk... jus' sumthin to think about. the only thing constant is change.
                            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                            X