Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob's Auto Parts Auction - Michigan

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
    I'll look around for you STD...I am planning on going Friday morning. I won't be home to post the findings until late Friday, but I will post them up.

Seth

Thanks, Seth. I'm always up late anyway.
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
      It's a damned shame the family has elected to sell out instead of continuing the business - perhaps the real estate is more valuable used for something other than a vintage junkyard.
      I would be more inclined to think family is sick and tired of dealing with freaks like us. ;D :P
      Actually, probably stuff like the damn EPA and who knows what other agencys that seem to keep harassing the older yards into closing out...
      My only hope is they sell as much iron as they can for it to be saved, rebuilt, or used to save other projects...and not shredded and crushed and the metal sent to china for crappy products at Wally world.
      Andrew
      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

So...I went to the preview today and I was saddened by what I found. There were more great cars than you could see, but they were ALL rusted beyond repair

Apparently the owner (who has passed) was a stubborn old codger who would not allow anyone in the yard, and would not even sell cars back to the people who brought them to the yard in the first place. I met quite a few people who were there only to see the yard because he had not let them in for over 20 years.

Most of the cars are being consumed by the earth in one way or another, i.e. sinking in mud, rusting, or trees have torn them apart.

The owners son owns a metal salvage recycling facility a mile away, and wanted to see if he could get anything more than the scrap was worth. >

If you are looking for a part, then head on up there, but if you are after a car to restore it is not looking good.

I was looking for a car. Damn!

Well here are some pictures for you all to gander at. Enjoy.

Umm...They called this a 55 Chevy 2 door...More like No Door...It may have been at one time....But it is no more

Classic Iron...................Rusty as Hell.....With no Floors

One for RebelDryver....Ouch

STD....It didn't look good...This was the best of them and the frame was rusted through

A straight 6 for Dan Stokes ;D

A tractor for Brian ;D ;D

The leaning tower of Hot Rod....A little too leaning if you ask me ;D

Container O' Transmissions

Not for Sale

Thought this was funny ;D

I was really dissappointed, but the search is still on for a decent Hot Rod.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Dude....looks like a fun day!

That tractor is an old Ford 8N...probably late 1940's vintage. My dad has one with a loader setup on it.

Sure the '55 in the first photo is thrashed, but the car sitting on top of the car next to it looks like a prime Gasser candidate!

I'm guessing the one fender and the seemingly good grill for the '55 would be a good couple of things to stash away for your little guy's college fund.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

There's about 200 pics I took. My comments would be the same as above. When you leave them all outside, convertibles included, and stack them on top of each other, there's not going to be much left in this climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Dude....looks like a fun day!

That tractor is an old Ford 8N...probably late 1940's vintage. My dad has one with a loader setup on it.

Sure the '55 in the first photo is thrashed, but the car sitting on top of the car next to it looks like a prime Gasser candidate!

I'm guessing the one fender and the seemingly good grill for the '55 would be a good couple of things to stash away for your little guy's college fund.

Brian
              Only you would be able to identify that tractor ;D ;D

I enjoyed it, and it was a beautiful day, but it honestly bothered me that these cars were allowed to rot away.

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The "back-a-ruda" nearing the end of the last photo set definitely got worked. The Mickey Thompson tires are about burned down the cords on that thing.

Drag strip passes or did it go out in one final blaze of pre-junkyard glory?

Hell Seth, at least the decent pieces will be saved to live another day. I'd be worse if they were being squashed flat.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks for looking, Seth. I'm still not sure if I'm going or not. Leaning towards not.

Looks like there might be a lot of good parts.

I recognized that it was a tractor! I don't know as much as Brian.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

There is a guy in Martinsville, IN., that has a bunch of old cars that are just rusting back into the ground, and it's not because he won't sale them it's because he wants to much money.

Comment

I was planning on going to get a look at this one. Thanks for pics, these cars look pretty rough

Comment

So, did anyone buy anything? I decided not to go back for the auction. There was a blue '70 Barracuda buried under a '74 Cuda that I was interested in, but I didn't think it was worth $400. There were a few interior trim bits I might have been able to use, and there was a stray twin scoop Cuda hood that looked decent, but it was sitting on a '71 Charger.

Comment

In my experience, by the time cars are ready for the junkyard here in Michigan they have already been rustbuckets for a couple years -- just take a look at the junk that is still on the roads LOL. What ultimately sends them to the yard is some major mechanical failure. Unless, or course, they are totaled due to an accident.

Then they sit for another couple years and get parted out, then crushed in short order. You usually can't find anything (like parts) in a yard around here that is more than 10-15 years old -- rarely whole cars or classics. We just don't seem to have junk yards up here with old cars that are worth salvaging. That's why we all go south to Missouri, Texas, California, etc.

I was lucky and found my Camaro for sale on the side of the road -- it had been sitting out of the weather in a pole barn for over 20 years.

This auction at Bob's seems to be pretty typical of what we seem to see around here.

Comment

Copy that..............cars in Ohio & Michigan don't wear out, they rust out.

Fixing wear is easy, chasing the RustMonster - - endless task here....

:'(
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

None of my cars are from the Northeast except my 63 Falcon. That one was always someones hotrod, so it was kept out of the Western NY salt. Those cars at the auction are worse than the yard I've been going to.

Comment

Working...
                              X