Chevrolet SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevrolet SS

DETROIT -- For the first time in nearly two decades, the Chevrolet brand will have a big, rear-wheel-drive sedan in its U.S. lineup.

General Motors Co. said Thursday that the 2014 Chevrolet SS will go on sale in limited numbers late next year. The V8-powered SS is a version of the Holden VF Commodore, a rear-wheel-drive sedan sold in Australia. It will be made in Australia.

The new SS will also be Chevrolet's NASCAR Sprint Cup contender, replacing the Impala. It will debut in its race configuration at the 2013 Daytona 500.

GM issued a photo of a camouflaged SS on a test track, but otherwise released few details.

The SS won't be Chevy's only rear-wheel-drive vehicle. The Chevrolet Camaro is also rear-wheel-drive, but it's a two-door coupe powered by a V6 engine. And the Corvette is a V8-powered rear-wheel-drive sports car, but it doesn't have the space of a four-door sedan.

GM spokesman Monte Doran said enthusiasts have been clamoring for a rear-wheel-drive sedan since GM discontinued the Chevrolet Caprice and Impala SS sedans in 1996. Performance enthusiasts prefer rear-wheel-drive cars because they accelerate faster and handle better.

The timing is awkward for a V8-powered gas guzzler, with gas prices high and fuel economy standards rising. But Doran stressed that the SS won't hurt Chevrolet's overall fuel economy because it will be sold in very small numbers to a core group of enthusiasts.

"This is by no means a mainstream car," he said.

SS is short for Super Sport. The designation has a long history within the Chevrolet brand. It first appeared in 1957 on a Corvette prototype race car, and was first offered as an option on a standard production sedan with the 1961 Impala. The latest SS model in Chevy's lineup is the fifth-generation

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/1...#storylink=cpy

Yeah, the Aussies make a great RWD car.... I'd show you a picture of mine, but it's still at the shop.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

ship it to me ...it would be fixed quick hahahah now that I have a shop to work in

Comment

I have one, what kind of genius' run this company when you have a guy saying the masses were "clamoring " for a rwd v8 sedan since 96 and just now they decide to sell one again.

Comment

correction - he said "clamoring for a rwd sedan which will be in limited production " all I see is Toyota won't be the only import in NASCAR now.

honestly, at 33k, the Caddy ATS looks far better.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            ship it to me ...it would be fixed quick hahahah now that I have a shop to work in
            Huh? When did this happen? Congratulations! Spill the beans man.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

All I read was "too expensive for me" in that article ....
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

gas guzzler? really? my standards for gas mileage must be uber low.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

If it lists where the G8 left off, it stands half a chance.

Knowing Chevy, they'll price it above the Charger R/T.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Is this not just another version of what is now the Caprice cop car that no one is buying? Not a bad thing...

Comment

The caprice cop car is longer in wheel base than the G8 was. this is mostly in the rear seat area. While this is useful for putting uncopertive passengers in , it just throws the proportions off. They should just flat out copy the G8, put ss on it and call it done.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I work on japanese cars for an bunch of old friends ....things are a bit slowwwwwwwww

Comment

Working...
                        X