No announcement yet.

anyone here like pro street cars ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like em when they are done right, and that one is done right. It has to have some power, a reason for the big tires, not a lame ass TPI 350 in it. My brother has been building s pro street truck, when he isnt flying, building RC planes, or working on some of his other stuff.

Ive been thinking about it, but I like the gasser style better. That 65 LeMans is just sitting there, and so is the 72 LeMans, plus a bunch of other stuff.. Maybe I will put a Jegs chassis under the 71 Ventura and add a blower to one of my 400s.

Comment

I've never lost the Pro Street desire, one day I will have one. But I also want a gasser too!

Comment

Sweet Mustang. How can that not be all kinds of fun?

"Pro-Street" style, for me, started the moment I first saw a picture of Grumpy's '72 Vega and will never end. People who talk about what's in or what's out are just being ridiculous.

Except...it's "in" if the car is actually fast, and "out" if it's not. That goes for all time.

Comment

Tearing mine apart now in fact, I used to build them in the early 80's when it was not being done by anyone around us everyone hated them at first, then Car Craft came and it turned around. This is first one we built

Injected Alky with Nitrous on a Tunnel Ram

Narrowed Dana with floater leafs and Ladder Bars we built this and my Nova and a Mud Runner in 24 Hours ( It was all the longer we could borrow the welder) We named the Shop "Chassis in a Day" Started going to car shows and everyone wanted one so it became a side job for us. Then it all changed with the "Buy a car " guys and we shut the door. The new shop I am building may bring it all back for us we will see.

By the way My old Nova has had 5 frames 3 drive lines and never left the shop for 35 years. The last one that got ripped out was a double frame rail, double FC cage, blown Alky small block with 18" between the rear tires that sat 4" from the ground at the bottom of the rocker. Now its going back to a Stock Susp car, just like I took out of it 35 years ago.
          Last edited by JeffMcKC; May 19, 2012, 10:34 AM.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
            i cant tell you how many times ive had some guy come up. look my car over and shake his head and say "its runied".....

The Credit Card Turbo Mustang Croud think it all started and will end with them.

Cars like your remind us where it started, I loved the "Period correct Hot Rods"

Comment

I've been around long enough to see one of the first, which I think was Scott Sullivan's Nova. It knocked everyone out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scott-67-Pro-Street-Nova.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	862003

(Looking at this picture, this car still holds up and isn't out dated. Maybe lower it and new wheels, but it still works.)

After Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding started really pushing them; the Pro Poseurs started coming out in force. They were either under powered, or had power, but only cruised around the fairgrounds with blower surge. The hating started because of those people.

I believe the ones that are getting built today are not going to be poseurs.
              Last edited by Scott Liggett; May 19, 2012, 12:22 PM.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That car was a milestone. I still think the Steve Lisk challenger and the Roush built Jaws mustang were the real beginning of a Pro Stock race car look on the street hence pro street.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I think the little cars did it...you could jack up the rear of a Challenger and stuff big tires under it, but with Vegas and Mustang II's, there wasn't nuthin' else to do but get cutting. While you're at it, cut it big. Dirt-cheap Vegas made practice shots affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                    Tearing mine apart now in fact, I used to build them in the early 80's when it was not being done by anyone around us everyone hated them at first, then Car Craft came and it turned around. This is first one we built

Injected Alky with Nitrous on a Tunnel Ram

Narrowed Dana with floater leafs and Ladder Bars we built this and my Nova and a Mud Runner in 24 Hours ( It was all the longer we could borrow the welder) We named the Shop "Chassis in a Day" Started going to car shows and everyone wanted one so it became a side job for us. Then it all changed with the "Buy a car " guys and we shut the door. The new shop I am building may bring it all back for us we will see.

By the way My old Nova has had 5 frames 3 drive lines and never left the shop for 35 years. The last one that got ripped out was a double frame rail, double FC cage, blown Alky small block with 18" between the rear tires that sat 4" from the ground at the bottom of the rocker. Now its going back to a Stock Susp car, just like I took out of it 35 years ago.
                    Jeff got any pics of the Nova transformations? I have a 70 Nova myself.
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

I hate Prostreet Cars........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                        I hate Prostreet Cars........
                        Obviously, because it has been sitting longer than most of mine! If you liked them it would be running, wouldnt it?

Comment

funny chit right there.

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
                            Jeff got any pics of the Nova transformations? I have a 70 Nova myself.

Not yet its a 66. I will start after Drag Week on it.

Comment

The first one I can remember was a lenco Hemi one in a challanger or Cuda and then in 1978 a Camaro that was in all the Magazines it was in Iowa at a race we where at and ran 13's
                              Last edited by JeffMcKC; May 19, 2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I love Pro Street cars for sure, but can't stand that Mustang.
                                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                                X