Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work mat/driveway protection mat suggestions, testimonials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work mat/driveway protection mat suggestions, testimonials?

Hey gang,

We just got the driveway done here at the Lohnes manse and I obviously want to keep it nice for the long haul. It will be awesome not wrenching on rocks and crap, too.

Anyway, I am looking around for a good work mat to use for under car protection. I want to keep oils, gasoline, etc from wrecking the new pavement. I am kind of partial to PitMatUSA because all the drag racer guys I know use them and they seems indestructible and cool. They are pricey, though. a 10x20' mat goes for $240.00. If it comes down to it, I am willing to pay that, but if there are other options, I am interested. I do not just want to buy a blue tarp or something like that. The Pit Mats are good because you can use jacks on them, etc without worry, they lay totally flat, and can be hosed off or wiped off when done using them.

Anyone got another suggestion or product they would recommend?
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; May 19, 2012, 11:30 AM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Concrete, where you're working on cars. Or plywood if concrete is out of the question....
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah, plywood is always an option and I will need to use squares of it anyway under the jack and the jackstands.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
        Hey gang,

We just got the driveway done here at the Lohnes manse and I obviously want to keep it nice for the long haul. It will be awesome not wrenching on rocks and crap, too.

Anyway, I am looking around for a good work mat to use for under car protection. I want to keep oils, gasoline, etc from wrecking the new pavement. I am kind of partial to PitMatUSA because all the drag racer guys I know use them and they seems indestructible and cool. They are pricey, though. a 10x20' mat goes for $240.00. If it comes down to it, I am willing to pay that, but if there are other options, I am interested. I do not just want to buy a blue tarp or something like that. The Pit Mats are good because you can use jacks on them, etc without worry, they lay totally flat, and can be hosed off or wiped off when done using them.

Anyone got another suggestion or product they would recommend?
        Fix the leaks.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

These have always worked for me, can't beat the price either.

Comment

Discarded rugs, cardboard and if still get oil on the garage floor, I use the cat to clean it up with.
            Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

See, you can hardly tell..
              Attached Files
              Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

IKEA 10x10 rug for like 20 bux, on a side note, cut some plywood or MDF in a square and set your jacksstands on those, ive seen things go bad in a hurry with jackstands on soft asphalt
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I still use cardboard and discarded rugs but one thing for sure, you're going to make messes on your drive or shop floor regardless of how hard you try!
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Cardboard or carpet to lay on, never used MDF for the jackstands, dont think I would do that, but a definite on the plywood under them.

Comment

Yard sale rugs, the cheap ones always smell like cat pee but you can't beat the price and the luxurious feel of a genuine imitation Chinese Persian rug. I use up one or every year or so. I also used the old carpet from the house when replaced it a year ago. I put on the perimeter and use smaller bits under car to make room for jack stands, trans jacks etc.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Have plywood squares already cut for the jackstands and to put the floor jack on. Looks like plywood and junk will be the cheapo answer!

Comment

Google Pig Mat. The company is the New Pig Corporation - gotta LOVE that.

Dan

Comment

Go to a carpet store that lays carpet and go dumpster diving... The one here in town leaves decent carpet out of the dumpster so us car nuts can use it... It soaks up oil good. . If it smells of wonderful urine... Leave it in the rain and it will be spring freshish
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 19, 2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I havent gotten my driveway redone for this very reason. I was thinking of pouring a cement slab right out of the door for strength then pave the rest. Im thinking, go buy a few 5 gal's of sealer and give it a paint job for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X