2013 Shelby GT-500 goes 11.8 over 120 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Shelby GT-500 goes 11.8 over 120 mph

Other forums have reported that apparently the car was heat soaked as well, had been run back to back for half an hour. Without the launch control, and cooled down it went 11.5 something at 127!! They are now getting in to customers' hands. Won't be long before these things are going 10s, then 9s!

cheers
    Ed
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Nice! Wish I could afford one.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

they will need some serious safety equipment to run under 11.49. Wish I could afford one too, I would sell everything I have and daily drive the hell out of that thing-imagine 11s off the showroom floor with a/c, cruise control and completely docile street manners
      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

11.8 at over 120.... Sounds strangely familiar.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by stage1scott View Post
          they will need some serious safety equipment to run under 11.49. Wish I could afford one too, I would sell everything I have and daily drive the hell out of that thing-imagine 11s off the showroom floor with a/c, cruise control and completely docile street manners
          Why sell everything you own...? I'm seeing the 07-09 GT500's go for 28 grand with 20-30,000 miles on them. Spend a little over 30 and you'll get a museum quality 5000 mile car. Pulley, tune and better heat exchanger = 11's no problem.
          I understand, its still expensive. But when people are truly honest about every single penny spent to build a very nice 500rwhp reliable daily driver...that gets pretty pricey too.

But I will admit it ain't as cool as a hard hitting car you built yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
            11.8 at over 120.... Sounds strangely familiar.
            yet completely different.

kudos to Ford for making that little beastie.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
              Why sell everything you own...? I'm seeing the 07-09 GT500's go for 28 grand with 20-30,000 miles on them. Spend a little over 30 and you'll get a museum quality 5000 mile car. Pulley, tune and better heat exchanger = 11's no problem.
              I understand, its still expensive. But when people are truly honest about every single penny spent to build a very nice 500rwhp reliable daily driver...that gets pretty pricey too.

But I will admit it ain't as cool as a hard hitting car you built yourself!
              well, I suppose I mean it requires selling the Fairlane to do a modern muscle car, something I am constantly considering but that is another story. The upkeep of "new" financially is a lot more-- here in SoCal the sales tax would be 2500ish, the registration would be 650 annually and the insurance for me (im 58-) would be 1500-by comparison, the Fairlane sales tax was 100, the reg is 50, classic car insurance with stated value 300. I find the new Camaro completely ugly but the Mustang and Challanger are constantly calling to me.......
              Last edited by stage1scott; May 21, 2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I may have to sell my GN and Chevelle, but I've been thinking about it.. thinking HARD..
                Powertour off/on since 2002
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
                  Why sell everything you own...? I'm seeing the 07-09 GT500's go for 28 grand with 20-30,000 miles on them. Spend a little over 30 and you'll get a museum quality 5000 mile car.!
                  like this one-boy I am sooo tempted by these

Comment

I hear you guys!! There are just so many pro's and con's for both vintage and late model muscle.
                    I bought my used '07 GT500 with 2000 miles for a great price, but I don't have the time and talent to build an equivalent car out of something older.
                    The pros; With minor used bolt-ons it runs 11.70's at 122mph with the factory street tires. I didn't have to do any maintenance work. NO RUST!! It handles better than I have capability to drive. It will burn tires until you let off the gas.
                    The cons; I get about 20mpg on the highway, which isn't really all that great for a late model. People think its just another Mustang (that might be a good thing to some people) The factory clutches have issues. The fact, at least on the 07-09 GT500's, there are things that need upgrading before beating on it, is annoying.... (driveshaft/diff/rear control arms/heat exchanger...) The new '13 looks like all of those things were addressed. But its more money.

Although, I think it would be tough to move from a car you built yourself to "bought" muscle. I just can't see it being the same.

Here's more details about what makes the new GT500 unique

Comment

Originally posted by stage1scott View Post
                      like this one-boy I am sooo tempted by these

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...05182377&Log=0
                      I thought this one is a pretty good deal....
                      Excellent condition. All Stock. Garaged, Original Owner. 11,575 miles. Brand new Spec Super Twin clutch. #25 of 169 Made Options are Shaker 1000, Sirius Satellite Radio, and Premier Trim Package. Signed Shelby dash plaque (never installed), and SVT Certificates. Trade for MB S550, E63...
                      Last edited by andy30thz; May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

FYI, my brother got a 07 Shelby for a great price.. 28,500. It has about 20k miles...

The really hard decision if you're not brand loyal is this... Used 2011 Shelby or used z06? You can get 06-07 z06s low40s high 30s.
                        Powertour off/on since 2002
                        sigpic

Comment

When I was sitting in line in Ohio with the motor running and the heater roaring, a guy tapped on the window. I rolled it down, and there stood a....let me be careful with the term, "older" guy. Careful because I'm older than a lot of folks myself. But this guy was, shall we say, "Weathered."

He loves Mustangs, and Red caught his eye. His whole thing was to say that he thought it was great that I had a car I was out doing something with. And beyond that, he's by golly going to get a 13 Shelby. My initial thought was, "Yeah, so are we all..."

But the more he talked, the more I believed him. Toward the end of life, $60-70K? He was adamant he was going to get one. He said, "We only live so long." At the end of the conversation I believed him. This guy's going to get one before he dies. A bucket item. And he really made me believe, and I don't know why...he really made me believe that he was going to.

Sometimes you can just tell the difference between bullshit and a real live driven mission by talking with folks. I think that guy (whoever is is/was) will have one.
                          Last edited by pdub; May 21, 2012, 01:29 PM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

for a car to continue to do things with..and not just diappear as a teasing half built liquid cooled 3 main bearing f1 screaming boxer engine...

the mustang, it does attract older. tried an true, the flathead made to scream with more bearings is getting more attractive all the time.

when my moms 69 convertible bent in half in the garage, I wanted anything but a mustang.

two T-top g bodies and bent later...

a mustang is looking better to me all the time. (I am going on 40)

On an embarassing note..
                            I was driving a jeep liberty. stocky short wheel base, reminded me of a sube wagon...

only it handled better with a live axle, jacked up, and tires getting more revolutions per mile. Absolutely bizarre.

Interesting to see that about new mustangs..they must have the geometry down low while being large in the tread.

why fix something if it aint broken I guess. I don't have a problem with live axle..but back to one piece shaft proving to be the champ?

kinda strange thing they proved there.

I like the carrier if that axle is gonna move around. leave the expense of tranny alone at least.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 21, 2012, 01:55 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just watched that video ... thought I recognized the journalist getting out of the car in the screenshot for the vid. It's Jim Kenzie from the Toronto Star, he has been their main road test journalist for many years. I know from some of my racing exploits, he is a good guy and can actually drive pretty well for a journalist! A lot of those people that review cars can't even drive their finger up their youknowwhat!

cheers
                              Ed
                              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X