Great Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Experience

I just wanted to take a minute to do a shout out to Holcomb Motorsports in Lumberton, NC. For some reason, Wilmington doesn't have a real speed shop yet (National Speed is just getting set up and they don't have much in stock yet). A guy at Wayne's Dyno in Jacksonville, NC turned me on to Holcomb and thought that they might have a Holley Blue pump on the shelf. I called them and they did. The problem was that they are a good hour and a half from Wilmington, and they were closing in an hour.

I hopped in the truck and headed over there, calling as I went so the guys would know I was really coming. The sales guy (WL Baxley) waited over 45 minutes for me to get there and was cheerful and helpful. He wouldn't even let me buy him lunch. An even bigger surprise - the price was right. I paid $123.59, and that was the kit with the pump and regulator. BTW - I have a spare Holley regulator if anyone's looking.

Holcomb is basically a Mustang shop, but they have general stuff like the fuel pump, as well. If anyone needs these kind of parts, I can recommend them highly.

Dan

Re: Great Experience

customer service? i figured that was a lost art,its always nice (and a surprize) when a busniess puts the customer first,
    Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

some one stayed late to help a guy get his car running...holy crap...its the end of the world I knew it was comming...My first clue was yesterday I had a hot rod shop here in town that actually had MOPAR part on the shelf AND they to were friendly and helpful....ITs the end of times my friends

Comment

It's just how it should be, but has evolved into the Autozone's of today.

Nice to see some places still put the customer first.

Comment

Good deal, not too many local speed shops left in my area(automotion is the only one I can think of, and they are more into turn-key cars than parts)...hope they are around for a long time, I miss the local shops)

Super Shops went the way of the dodo bird, Gunderman's went belly-up(due to shady business practices I'm told, don't quote me...never did business with them)...........Jeg's and Summit is about the only game left around these parts that I know of.

the AutoZone anaolgy is a good one. I worked at the one up the street last year part-time for 3 months(the full-time at the time was more like a no-time...say that 3 tmes fast). Tried to get them to stock more go-fast stuff, told'em I could get the business in there...no dice. Hell, they were more interested in hiring mind-dead go-getters than hiring individuals who actually understood what the hell they were selling.

I will say the purchases I made back when Super Shops was still around were pleasant...good group of guys at that location(US 31 and south East street, still remember the radio commercials)

Comment

Yeah, there are some nice speed shops in Lansing, and the surrounding areas.

One sticks out in my head to stay away from, Johnsons Speed Warehouse.
            Roy Johnson has had this place forever, and when it was the only place to use, I did.
            But you go looking for something, they don't have it.
            They charge more than Summit, Jegs, etc.., and get mad when you even say the names.

I understand they have a business, but just like the AZ's lacking knowledge,
            this guy is only in it for him, he's not much of the helping, customer
            service oriented kind of guy.

He wonders why he's falling by the wayside.

Comment

We don't have a parts store anywhere near that even stocks carb gaskets or collector gaskets. There is 6 parts stores in this town. They seem unwilling to order those types of parts. The closest place that does stock hotrod type stuff is over an hour away. I took to buying stuff like gasket sets, collector gaskets, carb parts, breather grommets, fuel lines and fittings, you know, the sort of stuff you sometimes forget you need until it's too late, at swap meets to keep in stock myself. I buy anything that's new and is a good deal. Guys around here know I do this and call me if they're in a jam. They are always happy to get what they need and I'm happy to help them out. You should see my basement :o I have way too much stuff I don't need, but I got it if need it ;)

Comment

Working...
              X