Gas well of fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas well of fire!

Well (pardon the pun) not quite. They just finished franking the well down the block from me. The next process is to burn off some of the gas. I'm not quite sure exactly why but I believe part of it is to get rid of water left from fracking and some of the gas has impurities they need to get rid of. Oh BTW my well water is just fine.

When I got to my house last night I heard this loud roar. I went dow to see in the day light. It was something to see but more impressive at night! Sorry for the poor quality, I must of hit the mute button on my cell phone while recording so you only hear it for about 7 seconds but you get the idea.

This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

kool

Comment

I'm pretty sure nothing has been frac'ed yet. The rig wouldn't be on site. They probably just his gas while drilling. How long have they been on-site?

Comment

Originally posted by 88pony View Post
        I'm pretty sure nothing has been frac'ed yet. The rig wouldn't be on site. They probably just his gas while drilling. How long have they been on-site?
        Oh, it's been fracked...I listen to the noise for 6 weeks and the drilling for 6 months. That rig just went up this past week, not sure what it's for.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

That would be the workover rig now on site. Flaring the gas in the annulas to be sure the well is flowing and at what rate. They would be also watching the down hole pressures. I work in the Oil & Gas industry on the drilling side, once we have drilled the well to the planned depth a workover rig comes in to put the well on line (in production). Hope you have mineral rights!
          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
            That would be the workover rig now on site. Flaring the gas in the annulas to be sure the well is flowing and at what rate. They would be also watching the down hole pressures. I work in the Oil & Gas industry on the drilling side, once we have drilled the well to the planned depth a workover rig comes in to put the well on line (in production). Hope you have mineral rights!

I do! The gas pressure here in the Marcellus shale is crazy high as I understand. I'm hearing the pressures are around 10,000PSI right out of the ground. There was one well in the next county that blew the casing right out of the ground. Not sure if it's the same one but there is one well that they are afraid to shut down for the same reasons if they had to. Chesapeake has 4 wells in Susquehanna county that out produce all of their wells in WV. The gas companies were pulling all of their rigs out for Ohio but I hear Ohio is not panning out and the rigs are coming back to PA. I'm in Wyoming county which has 97 well spuds and my town has 49 of them.

There's more gas here then Saudi Arabia has oil. I've been told that there's a shit load of oil in the Devonian shale, 16,000' that they are going after next, The rumor is there's even more oil then gas.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; May 21, 2012, 12:56 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I thought the other formation was the Utica? Unless the Devonian is a new one I haven't heard of yet and we've got 3 shale formations under PA.

Comment

Kool vid.

gee... i thought we were gonna run out of oil/gas in 20 yrs, when i was a kid.... didn't they tell us that in school? I know that the the gov. of ohio, john kasich, has stopped several wells from fruition due to the earthquake activity, and also that a bunch of folks are all freeked out about groundwater contamination ( real or not) and that may put a bigger damper on 'ohio' oil.....but yeah... according to some of the science articles about it i've read in the last year or two... there's A LOT of oil in the states, in a large number of areas. enought to last for hundreds of years maybe... here in Ohio the majority of drilling is financed by French and Chinese companies.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
                  I thought the other formation was the Utica? Unless the Devonian is a new one I haven't heard of yet and we've got 3 shale formations under PA.
                  Actually you're right. The Devonian is part of the Marcellus shale and the Utica is below the Marcellus.

Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                    Kool vid.

gee... i thought we were gonna run out of oil/gas in 20 yrs, when i was a kid.... didn't they tell us that in school? I know that the the gov. of ohio, john kasich, has stopped several wells from fruition due to the earthquake activity, and also that a bunch of folks are all freeked out about groundwater contamination ( real or not) and that may put a bigger damper on 'ohio' oil.....but yeah... according to some of the science articles about it i've read in the last year or two... there's A LOT of oil in the states, in a large number of areas. enought to last for hundreds of years maybe... here in Ohio the majority of drilling is financed by French and Chinese companies.
                    The thing is the water table stops at 900' and they drill about 5000' below that. Unless they screw up the well casing, I don't see how fracking is going to ruin wells. Methane is non toxic and harmless other the risk from explosion and methane has been know to be in well water for years. The folks in Dimmock, which is close to me, have had other sources of ground water pollution such as a garage that was dumping used anti freeze in a stream behind them that is showing up as well as arsenic which was used many years as a pesticide in orchards. I saw the people from Dimmock in action at a Penstate seminar on the forced share pool topic. They certainly are a militant bunch. I would be royally pissed if my well got screwed up but to me, it's hard to tell where their problems have come from, gas wells or other sources.

Funny when I was a kid back in HS in the early 70's for what ever reason I got interested in our oil resources. I guess it was because of the '73 oil embargo. I learned we had more shale oil in the mid west then Saudi Arabia but the technology wasn't their to get it economically. I often wonder just how much oil we really have. Buy stock in companies manufacturing pipe for the oil and gas companies!
                    Last edited by Huskinhano; May 22, 2012, 10:04 PM.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Actually you're right. The Devonian is part of the Marcellus shale and the Utica is below the Marcellus.

http://extension.psu.edu/naturalgas/maps/devonian
                      I see, it's the same formation, just a longer name. I thought it sounded familiar, but I didn't know where I heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                        The thing is the water table stops at 900' and they drill about 5000' below that. I often wonder just how much oil we really have.
                        The latest articles I have read are suggesting that the previous modeling of the migration of the chemicals was done incorrectly. They are stating ( again...this is just an egghead's study ) that the Benzene and other related compounds used are much lighter than they anticipated..they are reacting differently under the higher pressures and temperatures of the deep underground than the original models predicted...so they are migrating (floating so-to-speak) upwards in tens of years rather than the thousands of years the previous models predicted.
                        During WWII there was tremendous searching for domestic oil reserves. At the time the Govt. decided that the results should be kept very quite. The oil companies agreed as it was good for them also to keep the actual amounts 'close to the chest'. I am not saying that it was classified as such, just secret to the companies that found it... the prevailing thought back then was that the source of oil was dead plants and dinosaurs. With this idea of oil being a non-renewable resource, it made great sense from a national security standpoint to use up the oil reserves of other countries before we tapped our own reserves..
                        Today that line of thought is finally changing, with more of the scientific community accepting that the deep, hot, high pressure underground is FULL of bacteria and that it may act as a natural 'refinery' to produce these long chain hydrocarbons on a continuing basis.
                        New Hampshire, just a few weeks ago, banned fracking across the state....Politics trumps science.
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                          The latest articles I have read are suggesting that the previous modeling of the migration of the chemicals was done incorrectly. They are stating ( again...this is just an egghead's study ) that the Benzene and other related compounds used are much lighter than they anticipated..they are reacting differently under the higher pressures and temperatures of the deep underground than the original models predicted...so they are migrating (floating so-to-speak) upwards in tens of years rather than the thousands of years the previous models predicted.
                          During WWII there was tremendous searching for domestic oil reserves. At the time the Govt. decided that the results should be kept very quite. The oil companies agreed as it was good for them also to keep the actual amounts 'close to the chest'. I am not saying that it was classified as such, just secret to the companies that found it... the prevailing thought back then was that the source of oil was dead plants and dinosaurs. With this idea of oil being a non-renewable resource, it made great sense from a national security standpoint to use up the oil reserves of other countries before we tapped our own reserves..
                          Today that line of thought is finally changing, with more of the scientific community accepting that the deep, hot, high pressure underground is FULL of bacteria and that it may act as a natural 'refinery' to produce these long chain hydrocarbons on a continuing basis.
                          New Hampshire, just a few weeks ago, banned fracking across the state....Politics trumps science.
                          I often thought the same about our reserves being some what classified and using up other countries oil first which would slow down development off shore. Before WWII the Americas were about the only known major source of oil for the world. Look at the Bakken shale in ND, estimate 200 billion barrels of oil. Brazil is building a fleet of nuclear subs to protect their off shore wells. I think you're right that we are actually swimming in it just that it's not floating at the top like the middle east. I think all the easy oil found in this country was oil that seeped to the top. I hear the new discovery in Alaska is absolutely huge and will last for several hundred years.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                          X