Brake Carnage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Carnage

So, Saturday im hanging out with some friends and i get a text from my dad saying, "you car broke". Knowing dad i figured he didnt know or realize what he was talking about so i ignored it. Well I get home Saturday night and he asked me why i didnt respond and i told him not really sure just ignored it. And he goes, well your car is broke, its at the top of hanging rock. So, like anyone would ask, i asked why and he tells me this story.

"Your mom and i were riding up to hanging rock to just enjoy the weather and spend time together. We got all the way up to the Entrance of the park and i realized the car wast coasting right but i ignored it and just kept on going through the hills to get to the top of the mountain. I heard something in the back and looked in the mirror and it looked like i ran over a little screwdriver. I ignored that too. Not even 2 minutes later, the loudest boom i think i ever heard happend and i figured the screwdriver had popped the tire. I started rushing up too the top of the mountain because i didnt want to be changing a tire on a stright up hill. Well i got up to the parking lot and the temp. gauge is pegged. I started putting on breaks, and the peddle went straight to the floor. I finally got the car stopped and the car was puking water everywhere. I started to see what exactly the boom was and couldnt really find anything, the tire was perfectly fine until it finally dawned on me that the center cap was missing. Then i noticed a piece of glowing metal on the ground a few meters behind the car. Looked close and i was part of the disc, from the brakes. So i checked the rear breaks and the left disc disintegrated."

My friends and i were shocked. But Sunday him and mom went to get it and when i got home from the Y. This was what was in the driveway.

The youngest guy on the board
    76 vega
    86 fiero

"used up"
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Not used up at all. We just put the rotors on back in January. We think the either the caliper stuck and or the line colapsed and so the rotor got hot.

76 vega
      86 fiero

Comment

Hi,
        Probably a stuck rotor as you mentioned. I see it often on disc brake trucks.
        Rick

Comment

non-vented rotors overheat
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yeah, i would love to put the vented rotors on the car but on Fiero's vented rotors only came in on the 88's. Im not able to exchange them because the vented rotors are thicker than non vented.
            76 vega
            86 fiero

Comment

the aftermarket is your friend.... also, with a bit of creativity I bet you could adapt Camaro rotors to work there (rear). Heck that even looks like the 86-87 Camaro caliper.

Comment

and let me correct. Rock Auto ~ 250 for conversion

Rotors
                RAYBESTOS Part # 56543R {#1056543, 56543} Professional Grade; Outside Diameter 10.43" / 5 Bolt Holes
                28.79 each

Calipers
                ACDELCO Part # 18R768 {#18035957} Reman
                94.99 ea

that includes 8.00 ea core for the calipers. Last time I checked, you could simply send your older calipers back and get your core charge back.

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel View Post
                  So, Saturday im hanging out with some friends and i get a text from my dad saying, "you car broke". Knowing dad i figured he didnt know or realize what he was talking about so i ignored it.

[/IMG]
                  You're Dad's been building cars since before you were born, so he probably had a clue Eric.
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Your father said meters? Really Evan, meters ?
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                      Your father said meters? Really Evan, meters ?
                      He was of that one year they actually taught the metric system to kids in school. Rare man there.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        He was of that one year they actually taught the metric system to kids in school. Rare man there.
                        Must have been an Olympic Year -
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 64casteel View Post
                          ... so i ignored it. ...
                          ... car wast coasting right but i ignored it ...
                          ... ran over a little screwdriver. I ignored that too. ...

Well at least you know who you got the 'just ignore it'-part from...
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

way i see it Linda Evan ..pops should have got you a real car to begin with
                            Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

You would think you would be able to smell it at a stop light.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X