Russell wants another garage door!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell wants another garage door!

Well we moved about 6 months ago across town. My new home came with a detached building that was used as an office, workout room, storage, and bonus. Behind the garage door was about a 12x12 storage room. Behind that a finished workout room. I removed the wall and carpet so I now have about a 12x25 bay.

Now its time to replace the window with a garage door so I can have second bay (about 15x20)

My dad is going to do the brick work for me. I more than likely will have someone hang the new garage door. The part I am missing is what do I need to do to frame it out?

here are a couple pictures.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

One Adam Twelve, see Gene. Gene is the garage door man here. I was too far away from Geneville to talk him into doing ours, had to rely on the locals instead to do our garage door.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

BS is blocked at work, just got your PM... sorry man.

Sweet garage! It looks nicer than my house! Anyway, not sure what size you are going with and what kind of interior ceiling height you have, but speaking in general terms you should have a 2x6 running floor to ceiling, with another 2x6 horizontal at opening height so it looks like a football goalpost up top there. Another 2x6 centered above the opening, vertical from header to ceiling, will do for the spring and operator mount.

Looks like you will have a small amount of electrical to deal with when you open up the wall... you probably can just cut the drywall out, pack in maybe 2 jack studs each side 3" greater than opening width from floor plate to ceiling plate, knock out the studs in between, set your 2x12 header, and pack in two more studs under the header for support and to bring it down to width, nail up the 2x6's flat on in the inside for the garage door track and springs, and patch the drywall back in butting it up against the edge of the 2x6's. Brick mold on the outside to lay up against, and you're good.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The reason the garage is so nice the PO was a custom home builder. That room was his office. He got forclosed on when the housing market went bust. With the intrest rates being low, and the house being discounted b/c of some damage from PO moving out and one of the neighboros does not keep his property well maintained. It was "only a little more than our price range" I am border line house pour. There are somethings about the house that surprise me "why would a builder build his own house this way".

The current garage doors suck they are only 8' wide. Why in the world would a custom home builder put f'en 8' garage door on a house with enough molding to build a village of small huts. Alot of people that buy these type houses that drive full size SUVs may be they expect you to get one with power folding mirrors? If I was made of money I would have the other three doors replaced as well. The new one will be at least 9' wide if not 10', I need to lay it out to see how it fits in the room. The ceiling height is just a little under 10'. I am guessing the walls are 2x4 studs so use those for the jack studs? The header pannel is 2 2x12?
        Last edited by Russell; July 12, 2013, 12:10 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

If you have almost 10' ceilings, I would aim for an 8' high door. 9' wide minimum, you got the right idea. You probably can build off your existing 2x4 studs. I would use 2- 2x12's for the header with a 1/2" pc of plywood sandwiched in the middle, to make it 3 1/2" thick so its the same as the 2x4 studs. Nail up 2x6's flat on the inside for the door tracks like I described and you're good as far as the door is concerned.

I'll tell you why big expensive houses have small cheap doors. We do a lot of work for upscale builders, and some of them are really bad. They will put an 8x7 non-insulated door in a $600k house. These kind of houses sell to the clean-hands types that make large dollars but have absolutely no mechanical/construction knowledge of any kind. They walk in the house and see granite counter tops and high ceilings and enough trim to build a village of small huts (love that, BTW) and think the house is beautiful, and they are right. The mistake they make is assuming that if the builder spent a lot on the glitz, they must have spent a lot on the basic quality of the house. Furthermore, they don't really know to check things like the quality of the furnace, the type of insulation, the grade and thickness of the sheeting, the type of shingles, or the size of the garage doors. Then, the first time they go to pull in the Harley-Davidson F-250 and it don't fit through the 8x7 into the 18' deep garage, they freak out and sue (true story). In short, most expensive houses are sold because of the countertops and the chandeliers, not because of the build quality. They know this and capitalize on it. If anyone is still listening to me here on my soapbox, never ever ever buy a house through a realtor from a builder who builds dozens or hundreds of houses a year. Find a small-time guy with a good reputation; there are plenty out there, at least in my neck of the woods.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Preach it brother Gene - you speak the truth!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Gene sounds like my house except the attached garage is deep and no where near 600k I need to see how high the existing door is.

John can you meassure the height of your f350?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Gene you make smile. Hell yes my stuff aint cheap but the little things add up.

Russel call me with any building questions.

Steve
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Hey Steve, how is your dad's door holding up?

Gene

Comment

Do you really need to ask? Man you know it is the best thing we did for that garage.

Steve
                    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                      If you have almost 10' ceilings, I would aim for an 8' high door. 9' wide minimum, you got the right idea. You probably can build off your existing 2x4 studs. I would use 2- 2x12's for the header with a 1/2" pc of plywood sandwiched in the middle, to make it 3 1/2" thick so its the same as the 2x4 studs. Nail up 2x6's flat on the inside for the door tracks like I described and you're good as far as the door is concerned.

I'll tell you why big expensive houses have small cheap doors. We do a lot of work for upscale builders, and some of them are really bad. They will put an 8x7 non-insulated door in a $600k house. These kind of houses sell to the clean-hands types that make large dollars but have absolutely no mechanical/construction knowledge of any kind. They walk in the house and see granite counter tops and high ceilings and enough trim to build a village of small huts (love that, BTW) and think the house is beautiful, and they are right. The mistake they make is assuming that if the builder spent a lot on the glitz, they must have spent a lot on the basic quality of the house. Furthermore, they don't really know to check things like the quality of the furnace, the type of insulation, the grade and thickness of the sheeting, the type of shingles, or the size of the garage doors. Then, the first time they go to pull in the Harley-Davidson F-250 and it don't fit through the 8x7 into the 18' deep garage, they freak out and sue (true story). In short, most expensive houses are sold because of the countertops and the chandeliers, not because of the build quality. They know this and capitalize on it. If anyone is still listening to me here on my soapbox, never ever ever buy a house through a realtor from a builder who builds dozens or hundreds of houses a year. Find a small-time guy with a good reputation; there are plenty out there, at least in my neck of the woods.
                      That's cool Gene, I believe it to be 100% true also. We have a lot of those builders around here that are either gone or in deep Doo Doo!
                      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Bump!

After I sand off the bondo on the 98 I am going to lay out my new Garage Door. I might go ahead and pull down some of that pretty molding

The engineer in me told me to! Let me know if I messed it up.
                        1. 8' high door. 9' wide minimum,

2. cut the drywall out, pack in maybe 2 jack studs each side 3" greater than opening width from floor plate to ceiling plate,

3. knock out the studs in between,

4. set your 2x12 header, I would use 2- 2x12's for the header with a 1/2" pc of plywood sandwiched in the middle, to make it 3 1/2" thick so its the same as the 2x4 studs

5. pack in two more studs under the header for support and to bring it down to width,

6. nail up the 2x6's flat on in the inside for the garage door track and springs, in general terms you should have a 2x6 running floor to ceiling, with another 2x6 horizontal at opening height so it looks like a football goalpost up top there. Another 2x6 centered above the opening, vertical from header to ceiling, will do for the spring and operator mount,

7. patch the drywall back in butting it up against the edge of the 2x6's.

8. Brick mold on the outside to lay up against, and you're good.

Not sure I understand the Brick molding. Does that not have to be acounted for in the width of the opening? I am going to knock out the drywall. This building is on a slab and the footing is higher than the floor I think the floor plate is above the foor?
                        Last edited by Russell; January 14, 2013, 12:48 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

You will probably have to get a concrete saw to notch the foundation.

The brick mold is just to transition from from your finished exterior board to the brick. Like so:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	brickmold-wht-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	866353

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            The reason the garage is so nice the PO was a custom home builder. That room was his office. He got forclosed on when the housing market went bust. With the intrest rates being low, and the house being discounted b/c of some damage from PO moving out and one of the neighboros does not keep his property well maintained. It was "only a little more than our price range" I am border line house pour. There are somethings about the house that surprise me "why would a builder build his own house this way".

The current garage doors suck they are only 8' wide. Why in the world would a custom home builder put f'en 8' garage door on a house with enough molding to build a village of small huts. Alot of people that buy these type houses that drive full size SUVs many be they expect you to get one with power folding mirrors? If I was made of money I would have the othe three doors replaced as well. The new one will be at least 9' wide if not 10', I need to lay it out to see how it fits in the room. The ceiling height is just a little under 10'. I am guessing the walls are 2x4 studs so use those for the jack studs? The header pannel is 2 2x12?
                            Probably buit that way most likely because he used left overs from his other houses to build his.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I work for a wholesale building supply company, and although far from an expert, I have a very basic understanding. Just to add my two cents to this (if its even worth that), maybe some foam board cut to fit the panels of the garage door for insulation during the 'cold' months? I've seen a few people do it. At my shop, we call it 'R-board'. But I'm sure you can buy insulated garage doors anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X