Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: with 15 weeks to drag week, the city lobs a grenade into my plan. What to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: with 15 weeks to drag week, the city lobs a grenade into my plan. What to take?

My delusions of grandeur came to a crashing halt with notification from my city that my impromptu boneyard will be shutdown by Tuesday or daily citations will occur.

Basically, that means I have to move all my crap this weekend and will be making lots of requests to my version of higher power for no on-call interruptions.

What it's done is jack up the Lincoln / 460 Dragweek plan to almost FUBAR status. I'm considering alternatives at this point and have some choices. What would you guys do? None of this stuff will be a 5k car, I'm not worried about that at this point. I *really* wanted to get the LSC done, but I'm trying to be realistic.

98 Mustang GT / convertible
    It needs registration, a 'vert top, and a roll bar, but it's already insured.

392/TKO,
    GT40 lower, cobra upper, AFR185 heads, XE274HR cam (224*)

Bonus - looks factory. ODBii is tunable and will pass emissions. Downside - it'll need a rollbar and a 1000.00 top.

'90 LX Notch
    Same engine as above
    This is calling to me, would be the easiest to get done quickly and get some miles on it - not as easy to inspect, they'll tail pipe sniff it.

'90 LX Notch
    460/TKO
    will be a bit of emissions work but I'm confident it will pass. Very mild setup.

'95 Ford Lightning
    This is a daily, it's inspected and insured already.
    392 above and Megasquirt or Moates Quarter Horse to tune it
    Trans will need a rebuild for this mill. It's getting tired, shifts are getting soft. E4OD is pretty strong when built.
    Turbo? (tempting)
    Downside - traction, and it's not a good road trip vehicle.

460/c6 this thing? It's crossed my mind.

Open to suggestions... I'm kinda bumming but obviously it's not like I've got it bad or anything. My big cash outlay is gonna be a TKO or T56. Probably 2 grand on other crap to finish them up. Any of them are gonna eat up my tractor fund. The good part of not worrying about the 5k deal is I can drop the slushbox on the Mustangs. Both of them are 5 speeds already. The 90LX I would like to make a DD for real, and have thought about a 331 setup with a small turbo.
    98 GT Mustang - 392
    7.69%
    90 LX Mustang - 392
    38.46%
    90 LX Mustnag - 460
    30.77%
    95 Lightning - 392
    7.69%
    95 Lightning - 460
    15.38%
    Last edited by Beagle; May 26, 2012, 03:25 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

i like the idea of the lx notch w/ the 392 and if ya need anything hauled off lemmie know
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I vote for '90 notch with 392. Get it sorted out so it will definately work then turbo the '90 with the 460. That way you will have a car that you won't have to thrash on to get ready. If the 460 car gets finished-take it. And why would you want to go smaller for a turbo?

Comment

Yeah i voted for the notch, but with the 460. Hey you said you could get it to pass emissions
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ya one of the notch backs........ 460 with Nitrous should move pretty good.........

Whichever notch back you don't use, if you got to get rid of it, hook up Bill(Min301) with it, I know he's been looking for one.........

Comment

The turbo 331 would be a mpg deal - I'd like to sell the Escape if I put a legal engine in the Mustang, it will be my new cheap date. I also like flat hoods. Almost any correctly sized turbo would capable of making enough oats to split the block though. The stuff I have for it is about right for a turbo setup - 8.4:1 (20cc dish, 60cc heads, .015 in the hole) forged Probe pistions, bushed 5.4 rods with ARP bolts, Eagle cast crank. There's a set of Edelbrock 1.90 heads in the barn that would do well on a small engine and a baby butt smooth 112*LSA 208/216* intake cam (crane 2020) for it. If I limit it to 7 or 8 pounds, it would be entertaining I'm sure. Sound like a truck motor? haha. The original thinking here was put this in the 'Vert using Explorer stuff and the existing 4.6 harnesses. The last 302 based Explorer's used coil packs, a cam position sensor, external EGR and missing tooth on the damper. I think the weatherpack stuff is the same. Dang, just typing this makes me want to bring the fat Vert home. September can be a really beautiful time of the year for top down driving.

The funny thing is, the 392 (387 was the original plan) was supposed to be a ... truck motor for... the truck. IIRC, they take a 1.5 to 2.5" taller hood in a Fox. There's a lot of points for this and a few against. The GT40 stuff is great for a truck but not so much for RPM. It'd be easiest to leave it like it was planned, ie, a torquey thing, but seems a waste of the heads. They're kind of small for that motor without some manifold (like a Victor) if I want any kind of RPM out of it. It goes kind of against my grain to put the looong runner intake stuff on a 10:1 almost lumpy cam thing. I may go this way originally to get it inspected and then look at an RPM air gap with a 750.

I'll have to register it at location X if I want to go with the 460 because it's not in an emissions county and the car is older than the average inspection guy/gal these days. They may or may not care about the visual. With a small bordering on lean vacuum holley I'm pretty sure it will run clean enough to sniff. Either way it will have cats, that seems to be the only thing they know to visual. The 460 is still getting much attention, the Torker ii may fit under a flat hood. That would give it the nod. I will mock it up and see. If it fits under the hood, that will be a huge factor. Truck motor in a light car. heh.

I'm really A.D.D. if that's not apparent yet, but one thing keeps shining through - truck motor. ha.

I forgot one (just one?pfff) - 289 with the AFR185's, 248* solid flat, Funnel Web and 4.10's in the Fox just for the hell of it. I'd have to mill the heads and use flat tops with custom valve relief machining to get as close to 10.5:1 as I could. Wouldn't be much of a street motor but I'd love to hear one scream just once. The "anti-truck" version. I'm not hearing good things about shifting the stock tremecs at 7000 rpm though.

Plan 42: 460 and f350 EFI / c6 with GV overdrive for the fat vert. This is why I'm cranky at the city, who is cranky with me. I had finally decided on a plan for the kitty killer.

Plan 43: the truck is legal already. Inspected.. registered... inspection is good through September. Then again, it also runs and is dependable, but it is getting tired. It deserves some love. There are a lot of guys already doing Moates Quarter Horse tuning on these trucks, and HPP is around the corner from me. It wouldn't take much to get it "quicker", but 400 miles in it makes me into a whinier than normal bitch.

dangit.
            Last edited by Beagle; May 27, 2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              Almost any correctly sized turbo would capable of making enough oats to split the block though.
              Ha, same reason there is no turbo in my Skylark
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

if you register at your dads place ........ lets just say i know people
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

out of curiosity, what is the city's problem with you? unlicensed? too many cars? having Fords?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Possibly getting a carport or car tent to house the boneyard "inside"? Might get the city off your back and buy you some time for the original plans.

I vote leave the Lightning as-is until it stops, and use the 460 for one of the others.

Comment

the old home scrap yard eh ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                        the old home scrap yard eh ?
                        that's their story. lol. I just got back from renting a 24' u-haul and location X isn't zoned so off it all goes. The neighbors will be thrilled! Right up to where I start registering complaints for any non-compliant issue I see around here and there are a LOT of violations. I happen to be targetted right now because there are a couple of houses for sale on the street and the one that's been there six months they are obviously way upside down on. Everything else around here sells in 30-60 days. They bought in 2007, probably asking waay too much for it. The real estate agents call the city if there's any ratty looking properties around. That would be mine and my response is usually "I don't owe anybody anything for this, I should be able to do what I want in my own back yard" - they usually tell me I'm wrong.

I had this great idea, as long as I have this 24' monster for 2 days, I'll clean all the bike crap out of there too, and get a garage out of the deal. I think what this means is unless I go apeshit and die from stroke doing all this work that a computer jockey is not used to doing, I'll be able to put the turd in the garage. If I can get enough garage, it's on again. I'm cautiously optimistic. This is gonna cost me a fortune in Monica Makeup Holiday. lol.

Charles, thank you sir. Hopefully not, but I may need to take you up on that offer.

Comment

#### government

Comment

They could have picked a better weekend... no worries. The fair and gentle Monica has calmed me down, all will be good. Fargin Bastiches. Sonsa botches. hahhahahahha. I spent some time this morning driving around taking pictures of *Their* violations - I have half a dozen from a two block trip. If we go talk to the judge, the picture evidence and "I'm just following your lead" will be interesting. I'll probably still get fined. Meh.

Garage progress is good. It's all good. Maybe just somebody/thing motivating me to do the right thing.. who knows.

Comment

it seems texas is no longer the wild west
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X