N/A Diesel Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N/A Diesel Truck

I have been looking at ads for used diesel trucks. I like the price of the early 90’s non turbo F-250. I want something that will pull a trailer over the mountains and be able to keep up with traffic. I am not looking for a race truck. Will a N/A 7.3 get the job done or do I need to look for a newer turbo truck? How about fuel mileage what should I expect n/a vs. turbo?

Thanks!

Russell
    Last edited by Russell; May 29, 2012, 07:09 AM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

I had a 94 F250 w/the IDI. N/A it would pull anything you put behind it, but don't be in a hurry to get anywhere ....

Eventually I added a Banks turbo and propane injection (for the long mountain passes) and I was able to keep up w/stock powerstrokes. As far as mileage, IIRC, N/A was only about 12-13 pulling under 10k and only slightly better empty. After the turbo, I picked up on average 6 mpg towing and 8 empty.

The good news was, I put that truck thru hell and finally sold it at 377,000 miles. It was starting to develop cracks in the frame from off roading. I rebuilt the E4OD twice, and replaced one cracked head around 160k.
    Attached Files
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My Thomas 71 passenger school bus had an NA 6.9 in it. 24,000 pounds. It'd go 60, that's it. I think with another 7000 pounds of students, it would still go 60. It got 9mg empty. Hope that helps. hahahaha.

Seriously, my '97 was 2488.00 last year. Body looks like shit and it's a single cab but the a/c works. Look around, you can find one for cheap. My HPOP (high pressure oil pump, 3000 psi fuel pump in gas terms) leaks and it still gets about 20, doesn't seem to care much if it's loaded or not for MPG wise. I got 19.5 pulling another extended cab F150 behind it.

Buy a kidney belt. The OBS (old body style) F250 or F350 are rough riding things with E rated tires pumped up to 85 PSI. I'd hold out for a powerstroke... and then you'll get the itch...
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've had both, and though an IDI is less expensive to take care of - they sure do need a turbo. Cavitation is an issue with them - the cooling system maintenance is important, requires additive to keep the cylinder liners from eventually getting holes in them.

Unless the perfect truck falls into your lap that's an IDI - I'd hold out for a powerstroke, or - dare I say it - buy a dodge / cummins.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I drove one around, the non turbo. worked it to death. frame wiggled around behind the engine (under the cab)
          very very hard down low.
          going for turbo is worth it.

the 6.2 in an m series military would be fun to tall the gears, as framing is beefed already..

the finale for me was in a ford four door dually, steering sucked, throttle stuck like an old detroit...all n/a.

the front end came through the floor and mangling my life forever...as the throttle never backed down and steering was useless. by the time that bulldozer stopped the entire front end was bent up taller than the cab..at a speed of 60mph it did all that.

the n/a has a nightmare. no concept of a gentle slow and gain at when needed.

turbo is worth a wait on the factory frames.

nominal 70 degrees year round as per every glorified tin can is probably a super hero..but not in my locale.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think it was Gale Banks that once said, "A diesel is not complete until it has a turbo in it."
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
              I think it was Gale Banks that once said, "A diesel is not complete until it has a turbo in it."
              I guess thats why the N/A trucks are SO much cheaper.

I am not a Dodge fan. I would by a Cummins in a dodge rapper in a second.
              Last edited by Russell; May 29, 2012, 09:49 AM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

SBG found a turbo kit for his 6.2 chebby - nothing says you couldn't find a turbo kit for a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI.

Here's one:

I know the first gen cummins dodge auto's were not over drive, not sure what year that changed - or how well the auto's held up.

Same goes for 6.9 trucks - they were backed by C6 - no overdrive.

My '88 7.3 was a 5 speed stick, so was my '97 power stroke, nice set up - but hard to find.
                Last edited by milner351; May 29, 2012, 09:52 AM.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I won't own another diesel without a turbo. Better mileage, more hp - what's not to like? Of course, with a turbo you have to be smart and not overheat your truck - but that's simply watching a gauge and backing out of the throttle when it gets too warm
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We've owned an '88 crewcab dually NA 7.3 IDI for about 10 years. Its faster than my buddies 90 7.3 turbo, primarily because we have a 5 speed manual and he has a blow'em up suck the power out auto. Well actually he's had three of them for that truck.

The truck pulls horse and car trailers. It doesn't pull fast, but it does pull reliably. Once up to speed, it'll easily pull at 65 on the flat. Mountains (we're talking Sierra Nevada type mountains) are an exercise in patience. Coming over the Siskyou summit on H5 with a loaded car trailer was a 35 mph adventure.

But I rarely pull in those kinds of conditions. If you run the truck the way it wants to be run, it will last a long time with a minimum amount of hassle.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

I've had both. I'd never buy another without a turbo. ~15 m.p.h. over parts of the Rockies and a trailer covered with soot after every trip isn't worth the lower buy-in cost.

Comment

We had a handful of non-turbo Furds at the shop back in the day... total pieces of shite. Never say never, but I would seriously hesitate before buying one. It took forever to get up to speed in those trucks, and loaded was a real test of patience. We had a couple that the factory sent with 5.13 gears and they were wound tight at 60 mph. Grrrr. Fuel milage was pathetic.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

It was always amusing to watch the N/A Ford U-haul's go up passes here in Colo. I swear they were burning coal for fuel.

Comment

sounds like trouble

Comment

As it was said before, the cavitation issue is a real one. I' ve replaced more than of a few blocks in the past.
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.
                              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                              X