NEED HELP-I.D. SBF 4 bolt block and scattershield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP-I.D. SBF 4 bolt block and scattershield

Any idea on this block and scattershield? I'm selling for my friend's Widow. I do not have the caps. Thank you
    Attached Files
    STUGOTS

think it's a 1970 Boss 302 block based on the casting number, don't know on the shield.
    Last edited by Beagle; May 30, 2012, 02:38 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Boss 302. If in good condition, straight and the bores haven't been whored out... worth some coin.

IMO... pound for pound... the baddest production mill ever to roll out of Detroit.
      Last edited by jcharliem; May 30, 2012, 03:44 PM.
      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Main caps anywhere to be found? They would make it way more attractive.

Comment

For sure that is a boss302 - screw in freeze plugs is a drop dead ID.

Shame about the main caps being missing - Not sure if aftermarket caps are available - but I'm sure a good machine shop could make something work.

I've sold 428cj blocks with caps for $1000 plus shipping - I'd think you'd be in the same ball park if not higher if the bores will clean up at .030" or .040" .060" gets risky.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            For sure that is a boss302 - screw in freeze plugs is a drop dead ID.

Shame about the main caps being missing - Not sure if aftermarket caps are available - but I'm sure a good machine shop could make something work.

I've sold 428cj blocks with caps for $1000 plus shipping - I'd think you'd be in the same ball park if not higher if the bores will clean up at .030" or .040" .060" gets risky.
            Thank you, that's very helpful. The bores have a tiny bit of fuzz (surface rust), and my calipers show 4" with no ridge or ring wear visible
            Last edited by groucho; May 31, 2012, 07:13 AM.
            STUGOTS

Comment

Not your pictures or not the caps to the block in that box? Just curious.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Good Catch Randal - that sure looks like the caps to me.

If the bores are at 4.000 now - that makes it even more valuable. It maybe well worth the $ to get the block "hot tanked" and take a few good measurements before putting it up on ebay/racing junk for sale.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Not your pictures or not the caps to the block in that box? Just curious.

Yes, my picture. We found the block months ago in my buddy's Widows garage with those caps sitting on top of the block. I figured those were the caps to that block. After getting the block here to sell for her yesterday I find the caps aren't even close. Around here we call that a "sucks donut"
                  Last edited by groucho; May 31, 2012, 08:03 AM.
                  STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    Good Catch Randal - that sure looks like the caps to me.

If the bores are at 4.000 now - that makes it even more valuable. It maybe well worth the $ to get the block "hot tanked" and take a few good measurements before putting it up on ebay/racing junk for sale.
                    I'd rather not hassle the shipping. I'm hoping someone just gives me fair $$ and picks it up
                    STUGOTS

Comment

[QUOTE=milner351;647076]For sure that is a boss302 - screw in freeze plugs is a drop dead ID.

just for my sanity, the D0 makes it a '70 block, right? The newer version has splayed outter bolts, or I'd suggest that. So do the aftermarket caps I see. Bummer.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                      X