Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, It's not politics or religion, just a bit whiny.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around here, I buy parts from the mom & pop Parts Plus store.
    The counter people know what they are doing... they don't "need" the computers to find your part, they have the book racks and lots of experience.

Go to one of the chain stores and plop a 4 pin ignition module from an hei on the counter and say "chevy 350" and see if they can get you the part without asking a bunch of questions about the vehicle it came out of. A GOOD counterman (or woman) will be able to do it, whereas a person who only knows how to punch things into a keyboard would be lost.

A GOOD counterman is supremely helpful on projects that don't fit into a mold that can be punched into a computer.

The quality of the parts available is also important... I haven't been impressed with the parts from the other places.

Comment

I remmeber Merle's from when I lived in Tucson and I went to Don's Hot Rod Shop when I was there a couple year's ago for Pinks All Out. Of course its Don's son Donnie running it now. I worked there part time back when I was in school a long time ago. Merle's has real countermen like the Hub Auto I go to here in Costa Mesa, CA. Their guy came up with a pilot bushing for my '71 429 Mustang. I find that I still have to help narrow things down a bit now and then. Pep Boys and O'Riellys are good for sale prices on oil and other fluids and the O'Rielly's by me stocks both Autolight Racing Plugs and NGK's in the heat ranges I use which still amazes me.

Horses for courses I guess. The O'rielly's guys in Topeka were a God send for me at DW so I'm not gonna bash anybody.

I hope to see some of you Arizona guys in August as we're coming out to some races there in early August.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
        I hope to see some of you Arizona guys in August as we're coming out to some races there in early August.
        Let me know, I will be there.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
          Around here, I buy parts from the mom & pop Parts Plus store.
          The counter people know what they are doing... they don't "need" the computers to find your part, they have the book racks and lots of experience.

Go to one of the chain stores and plop a 4 pin ignition module from an hei on the counter and say "chevy 350" and see if they can get you the part without asking a bunch of questions about the vehicle it came out of. A GOOD counterman (or woman) will be able to do it, whereas a person who only knows how to punch things into a keyboard would be lost.

A GOOD counterman is supremely helpful on projects that don't fit into a mold that can be punched into a computer.

The quality of the parts available is also important... I haven't been impressed with the parts from the other places.
          I mostly agree with you. I will say that given the proliferation of parts in the computer/emissions era, I'd rather the counterperson take the time to look things up instead of shooting from the hip. I am amused at how many counterpeople have to ask things that are obvious to a gearhead (i.e. Does a Z/28 have a V8 or a six).

Part of the problem is that when they used the books, instead of the computer, the counterman wasn't forced to punch through so many menus to get to a parts listing. The programmers share the blame for making the counterpeople look dumb.

Comment

and one sad thing about o reilleys' is they ask you all these questions that should narrow it down to the right part...and then they ask you which part is uses!
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have friends in the wholesale parts business that take care of me 99% of the time.
              I use RockAuto too, they beat out the wholesale parts guys 99% of the time.
              This forces the local guys to meet or beat the internet prices.

The local AutoZone(s) suck, Car Quests good, NAPA's good, Federateds good...

Comment

Originally posted by Manifestospeed View Post
                I mostly agree with you. I will say that given the proliferation of parts in the computer/emissions era, I'd rather the counterperson take the time to look things up instead of shooting from the hip. I am amused at how many counterpeople have to ask things that are obvious to a gearhead (i.e. Does a Z/28 have a V8 or a six).

Part of the problem is that when they used the books, instead of the computer, the counterman wasn't forced to punch through so many menus to get to a parts listing. The programmers share the blame for making the counterpeople look dumb.
                THIS! The program for the parts lookups in O'Reillys was obviously put together by people that knew nothing about cars. After working at O'Reilly's for awhile I found the best way to get what you're after is to go to the commercial accounts rep. They tend to be much more knowledgeable and also better paid. Down side to that is they are usually busier too, so it will take longer to get hold of them. Completely worth it in most cases though.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

The local Autozone is actually pretty darned good. One of their best counter people is a nice young lady. I usually hit up a local chain called Complete's Plus. They only cater to pro's. They don't even have store fronts. But, they have what I need or can get within 24 hrs.

O'Reilly's here in Cali used to be Kragan's. Only will buy oil from them.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Man, I miss Midway Auto Supply here in Topeka...

We have 3 NAPA stores, 5 O'Reilly's, 4 Advance Auto Parts and a sprinkling of Auto Zones...
                    When it comes right down to it, the best place in town for auto parts in Topeka is Kansas Automotive Warehouse. Problem is, they are a long drive from my place.

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                      Man, I miss Midway Auto Supply here in Topeka...

We have 3 NAPA stores, 5 O'Reilly's, 4 Advance Auto Parts and a sprinkling of Auto Zones...
                      When it comes right down to it, the best place in town for auto parts in Topeka is Kansas Automotive Warehouse. Problem is, they are a long drive from my place.

Ron
                      Gotta factor in:
                      Peace of mind dealing with someone who knows their oats
                      Price...be it cheaper, or more if it comes with peace of mind..

I understand long drives... 3 within a mile, one is spendy..next nearest is over 20 miles... Whether I go N, or E...

Comment

Working...
                      X