D100 - The Ultimate Sacrifice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
    IIRC, 3rd gear is 1:1, so the going up hills part wouldn't mean anything. You could just downshift and it would be like a non-OD trans. The taller 4th would just be a plus everywhere else.
    That's exactly it, shifting in and out of OD. Been there done that on small engines with heavy vehicles. You're constantly shifting between the two. On my 4.2L Freestar on my weekly trips out to PA through the Poconos, I hardly notices any difference in fuel milage weather in OD or not but it drives sooo much nicer out of OD. When I drove my Mustang out to PA, I noticed the sam the. Without OD it drove so much better. With the 2.8's there was no problem going up hills and and the engine wasn't screaming at 70 either.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have the GM version of the 833OD in my Impala. With the 3.36 gears, I never put it OD except on the highway. In town I drive it like a 3 speed.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

od on slant six. that is awesome.

in high school I helped my neighbor (we were both teens), he had a dog ass slow 292 monojet (I have the same carb on my 1781cc boxer), found a 3 speed with a very tall fourth.

it was awesome. Earned everything it moved forward with...also it was shortbed truck. you'd be surprised how long that slant six hangs on. A good lesson in torque. its an eye opener.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

nd who's a farme
          Originally posted by dulcich View Post
          Husk,
          I'm farming grapes and wheat.

On the OD thing, it is mostly flatlands around here, and the extra gear would be a plus while driving long distances or highway. The field truck would seldom be heavily loaded. Plus, I've already got the 833OD sitting on a pallet of transmissions, and it is a straight bolt in for the three speed on the same bell, so it is just an extra gear. I'm going to start the engine pulling this evening on the 5th and D100.
          -dulcich
          I guess I'm not use to flat land *LOL*. By my house in PA, it's all moutains and twisty roads. I have 22 acres that I let a friend use who's a farmer to grow hey for his pigs and cows. They're starting to grow grapes and make wine around here but it's some gawd awful stuff that ain't cheap.

Glad to see a slant six getting a little recognition.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
          X