Thoughts From the Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts From the Road

Most excellent BS gathering (excellent is not a grand enough word) in Brighton.

Some long hours home, droning along, watching road signs and stuff, and generally daydreaming during open stretches of road....thinking about this trip and lots of other ones at the same time...

*** In lots of mountainous states, the signs say "Watch for Falling Rock," or "Falling Rock Zone," or what have ya. I truly believe you could stand there beside one of those signs for 24 hours a day for a very long time watching for "falling rock" and would be very lucky to ever see it happen. I mean rocks only fall for a few seconds and then they are scattered on the road, motionless, for somebody to run over and into. "Falling" is not the right thing to watch for.

Kentucky, at least, has a better sign - "Fallen Rock." Yep, somebody thought about that. That says it. Watch for the ones that have already fallen.

*** And then there's the forever issue of not driving all day in the far left lane. Lots and lots of states, say, "Slower Traffic Stay Right."

I mean, how can I stay right if I've never been right in my life?

And that opens up the perpetual argument of, "I'm going the speed limit in the left lane, and that's the law." Never mind folks are blowing your doors on the right, cussing the whole time as they weave and bob for position. Endless ongoing argument, "Slower Traffic Stay Right."

Kentucky has a sign for that too. I mean, the Kentucky sign writers have it all just too perfectly nailed, just with the words. They say, "Keep Right Except To Pass." There it is, that's the issue. That perfectly says it.

*** And in Michigan, the signs in construction areas say, "Kill/Injure a Worker? $7500 / 15 Years.

I can dig the 15 years for driving like a fool through a construction zone, but who decided a worker, killed or injured is worth $7500? Who came up with that number?

*** In all of the other states I've driven in, the crazy-fastest drivers I've ever seen go by were from Ohio. But when they're driving in Ohio, hardly any of them exceed the speed limit at all. Why IS that?

*** Why does steam come out of the manhole covers in downtown Detroit? Is that the city built just a few feet over hell, or WHAT? Why is that?
    Last edited by pdub; June 2, 2012, 02:40 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

There is also a " loophole" I use to get out of speeding tickets.
    " Moving with the flow of traffic"
    Trick is to get others move as fast as you..
    I took pics of a bike club from an overpass for one of the riders.. 97 Harleys 85 mph in 55. Cop was at the on-ramp watching
    Nobody got pulled over.

Comment

That whole piece of writing, as poor as it is, was really on my mind when I got home this afternoon. Every single bit of it, it all was really on my mind.

I was driving along in the vast farmlands of Ohio early in the morning, writing notes to myself when nobody was around, knee steering. Is that safe? NO. Not to myself, anyhow.

I got into a bunch of fast traffic for about two hours and....

South of Knoxville on I-75 the coordinated flow of fast drivers all broke down. Here's why I really wanted to write all of that. Yeah, the signs....but what was really was on my mind when I go home to make me type...

Been going 80 plus for about 100 miles. Now there's a minivan in the left lane going 71 and a big assed SUV in the right lane going 71.5. I've got Red's headlights and fog lights on, a menacing view in the rear view, I'll bet. We'd been playing tug of war for a few miles. When I thought I could make the pass on the right to show the blocker the what-for, I'd downshift and race up there on the right so fast...but.....coast....coast.....the hole closed.

I looked in the rear view and the nearest cars were a quarter mile behind. Yeah, I did "it". Sure did. I straddled the centerline and hugged up to the bumper of the slowest one and rode there. A minute later, Granny decided before Dead Guy they should pick up the pace.

One of them got out of the way in a "relative" hurry. I downshifted to show them both what Red will do in a short burst. I got away with it without getting arrested, maybe 90, and they were both little in the rear view mirror before I slowed down.

Left lane blockers. I don't know who won that one. My bet is, they'll all do it again tomorrow, without even understanding what they're doing. Blocking the left lane.

Comment

Drivers driving slow in the left lane really irk me. Old geezers think they are supposed to drive there because they are "through traffic". To get them to move I drive with my lights on and close on them at a scary rate and appear that I am going to plow into the back of them. They always see this because they are the ones spending more time hawking the rear view mirror than looking in the direction they are going. You can tell when you scare them because their car starts weaving all over the place. I may appear to be an ass. So what? If they cant drive the traffic in the left lane they deserve to be scared out of it.

Ohio State Police have been well known for being very strict when it comes to speeding. In Cali, most CHP officers dont bother chasing down speeders until they are going 15 mph over the limit. Ohio's staties also were the ones who made all those gory films we watched in drivers ed. Road safety is a big deal, ora bigger deal than other states. So Ohio drivers are known for following the speed limit closely.

As for Detroit's steaming. It was buiilt over a giant shit pile. Explains the smell too. Haha.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott, for the Ohio thing. That was glaring. Mystery solved. I mean really..I was sitting there thinking, Go GO folks...but they sure didn't.

So when Ohio folks go on a holiday to other states, they drive out of control. That's sure what I've seen in history. Wonder why? Or is there any wonder? WHOOOOO-HOOOO! Mash the gas. An Ohio minivan blew my freaking doors off on I-26 in SC and it was about five minutes later I saw it again, upside down with ....well, it was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            Drivers driving slow in the left lane really irk me. Old geezers think they are supposed to drive there because they are "through traffic". To get them to move I drive with my lights on and close on them at a scary rate and appear that I am going to plow into the back of them. They always see this because they are the ones spending more time hawking the rear view mirror than looking in the direction they are going. You can tell when you scare them because their car starts weaving all over the place. I may appear to be an ass. So what? If they cant drive the traffic in the left lane they deserve to be scared out of it.

Ohio State Police have been well known for being very strict when it comes to speeding. In Cali, most CHP officers dont bother chasing down speeders until they are going 15 mph over the limit. Ohio's staties also were the ones who made all those gory films we watched in drivers ed. Road safety is a big deal, ora bigger deal than other states. So Ohio drivers are known for following the speed limit closely.

As for Detroit's steaming. It was buiilt over a giant shit pile. Explains the smell too. Haha.
            Nice Scott, come here and tell that to the locals...
            Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

We in Hollywood take a shit from people who have never been here. Just giving some of it back.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                We in Hollywood take a shit from people who have never been here. Just giving some of it back.
                We try to be a little classier here.
                Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

I enjoy the writing peewee.

truthful. 80 to 90 is not even far fetched at all.
                  I have done that with a rig behind me.

I don't hit that traffic until southern maine. the get-out-of-the-way stuff.
                  better for the car anyway in the long ... wait. it is not better for the car in the long run.

replace the battered egdes of being out here alone a little sooner. the engine goes even farther.

given the sounds of the landspeed run. that would be an awesome ride, v8 taking it easy , slight whine of content. I miss that terribly.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 2, 2012, 06:47 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                    given the sounds of the landspeed run. that would be an awesome ride
                    I found out this weekend what that same little camera won't do. Yep, it captures sounds on video pretty well, especially inside a car. But don't ever take still shots with it. Especially when you make a big deal out of it in a major once-in-a-lifetime-gathering setting. Okay everybody - GROUP SHOT!

Snap. Dud. The camera is just about small enough to wipe your own butt with it. At least it's good for that, unless you're using it to film a speed run inside a car.

Comment

Working...
                    X