Heads dont match.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads dont match.

I have a 86-88 350 4 bolt main, Head castings are 093 and 261. The 093 are 64cc heads, cant find no info on 261, I dont know if its a factory replacement head or what. I just need to know if they're the same.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm coming up with

14019261 1984-88 350 1.94 1.5

Neither sound like a small chamber head, but I'd get the measuring cup out. If they are 76 cc heads, the 12 cc difference is about 3/4" ^3, should be pretty obvious.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I think that is a 76cc head from an earlier 1980s engine.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

093 gives me a bad book. not listed.

a 193 is listed, same years you posted.

76cc was 1970s madness, crap for blocks went with them. Never learned otherwise. Not even good option for turbo.

even then I spotted today was 66 for turbo.

I wonder if the tip in the book could apply, there is a strong head and a weak one..doing same job. looking at certain parts of the head can determine this.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Would they have came on the same engine from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
            Would they have came on the same engine from the factory?
            seems a good chance. Not a place even the dumbest of mechanics play around. cyl heads are serious.

I am curious to castings.. a guru knows stronger from another, even though the same.
            if you really want to get precise, but I don't have any more on the numberings.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

both are listed for 1981-86 ,casting # are a replacement for both

Comment

i have a a set of 624's that came on a autobone rebuilder 350 and the two heads have different sized exhaust valve stems :P
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Well, I'm still uncertain, I have 74 509 400sbc, that I've had for years. I'm gonna check its condition tomorrow. Would 882, these heads or the original 400 heads work better.

Comment

none are real good for big hp, vortechs are cheap

Comment

i know i hate it when people tell me how much my smog heads suck, but ive run good heads and they make
                      a big improvement

Comment

lol just like the olds 350 i have it had one GM #8 replacement head on it the other was the factory #5 head. one head had a 65cc chamber the other was 80cc chamber

the driver side i think made slightly more HP haha
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

not likely that they came that way from the factory but it is likely the castings are similar enough that one number can be used to replace another number.

On those heads with different size valve stems....one head is probably from a bigger truck.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Im just hoping to use them on the 400 with a baby cam until I find some nice aluminum heads later.

Comment

IMHO, there aint that much difference in a 2.02 and 1.94 until you start RPM'ing them. They put 1.72's in some truck motor 350's in the 70's to give you a comparison.

I'd be more interested in the chamber size and there's a good chance they match. Seriously, if you have a measuring cup that is marked in ML, you can check. If it's not marked for ML, 12cc is 12 ml, which is about .40 oz. unless my math is completely jacked again. It should be pretty obvious if they are not the same chamber though. Reasonable compression, matching a cam to your compression ratio, and lots of cubes is a great recipe for a happy street mill.

YMMV. I'd do some measuring, find out what the real CR is and pick a cam that works with that until "the good stuff" shows up.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X