#%*& dodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #%*& dodge

I picked up a 1998 dodge 2500 on friday. Picked up some stock dodge 2500 wheels and tires today. They dont FIT! So far my dodge ownership has not been good.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

#%*& dodge!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
      I picked up a 1998 dodge 2500 on friday. Picked up some stock dodge 2500 wheels and tires today. They dont FIT! So far my dodge ownership has not been good.
      More of the story? Wheels don't fit or the tires?

Comment

You probably bought late model wheels that require a spacer to run on the earlier trucks.Learned that one a while back.
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
          More of the story? Wheels don't fit or the tires?
          I did some googling i think when dodge went to rear disk breaks they changes the wheels. My truck came with 16*6.5 the 2001 wheels are 16*8 they added the 1.5" to the back space so they hit the drums. It is said you cab have an 1/8" milled off the drums and they will fit. Don't know if i like that idea. They are hit part of the steering but that looks like and easy clean up with a grinder.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by knuckledragger View Post
            You probably bought late model wheels that require a spacer to run on the earlier trucks.Learned that one a while back.
            Dan
            The lugs dont even come through the wheels so it would need longer studs or a spacer that had its own studs that bolted on. I more than likly will just try to sell them

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Ford did something stupid with wheels too - the "superduty" era trucks have different bolt pattern (8 x 110mm or something) instead of the old 8 x 6.5" that was standard on all USA 8 lug trucks for forever.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                I did some googling i think when dodge went to rear disk breaks they changes the wheels. My truck came with 16*6.5 the 2001 wheels are 16*8 they added the 1.5" to the back space so they hit the drums. It is said you cab have an 1/8" milled off the drums and they will fit. Don't know if i like that idea. They are hit part of the steering but that looks like and easy clean up with a grinder.
                1/8" off the diameter of the drum? You split the cut in half to get the diameter, it's 1/16" off each side (1/8" total) which aint that much. They can probably do it in a brake lathe. Agree with John, Ford did the same jackass thing in 1997 I think on the F150's 5x5.5 to some metric thing. The 18's on my 2000 Lightning are 5x135, have to be adapted to a 5x5.5 on the older truck and I am not an adapter fan.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

98 is a good year, look for tranny and steering issues...a lot of the steering issues will be from the track bar, they go bad and you find yourself all over the road....I love these trucks and miss my 99 like crazy...I had it from new, traded last June for the Mustang.
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                    98 is a good year, look for tranny and steering issues...a lot of the steering issues will be from the track bar, they go bad and you find yourself all over the road....I love these trucks and miss my 99 like crazy...I had it from new, traded last June for the Mustang.
                    The steering sucks i was trying to blame some of it one the tires, which one is the track bar? is that something that you just have to replace?

I started a project thread. http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...540#post648540
                    Last edited by Russell; June 6, 2012, 08:21 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      1/8" off the diameter of the drum? You split the cut in half to get the diameter, it's 1/16" off each side (1/8" total) which aint that much. They can probably do it in a brake lathe. Agree with John, Ford did the same jackass thing in 1997 I think on the F150's 5x5.5 to some metric thing. The 18's on my 2000 Lightning are 5x135, have to be adapted to a 5x5.5 on the older truck and I am not an adapter fan.
                      Not sure if its 1/8 off radius or diameter. It said "Have a machine shop turn the widest part of the brake drum down by about 1/8"

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah, the steering can be a big issue. Best thing to do is put the front on jack stands and check out everything, if the track bar is bad that is what centers the 4 link and you will be all over the road.. The ball joints are not great and fail pretty often especially if there are bigger tires. I rebuilt the whole front of mine, balls, tie rods, track bar, drag link...was around 600 bucks and is well worth the investment and everything is super easy to do...also, the wheel bearings (if 4X4) are sealed and have the anti-lock pick up in them..the best price was at carquest but can be picked up off rock auto for a fair price.

this is your track bar (curved)

this is your drag link

2 biggest culprits to dodge steering issues
                        Last edited by JOES66FURY; June 6, 2012, 08:46 AM.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My '02 3/4 ton 2WD steers and handles great (I think it's the same chassis). The steering bits look original as far as I can tell. Maybe the Diesels have bigger bits under them.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; June 6, 2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            My '02 3/4 ton 2WD steers and handles great (I think it's the same chassis). The steering bits look original as far as I can tell. Maybe the Diesels have bigger bits under them.

Dan
                            I bet mine has twice the miles and has had a harder life. Need an extra set of wheels?

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

173K miles. Other than the dash being cracked to pieces (standard issue on those - I installed a Dashmat)) mine is really pretty nice.

There's a gas Dodge of that era sitting here in our neighborhood after being drug in by a wrecker and I keep toying with the idea of buying it, fixing it, and reselling. ME is not wild about that plan.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; June 6, 2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X