D-Day Invasion anniversary today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day Invasion anniversary today...

You may have a great uncle, grandfather, father, etc, who was there on the beach on June 6th, 1944. If you do, pick up the phone and talk with them today. Maybe not so much for the war stories but to let them know you're remembering their bravery on one of the most important days in modern American history.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

The gentle giant I was named after was lost on D-day - my Dad's Uncle John. I look so much like his military picture it's uncanny. I wish I could have met him. Thanks to all for your service and if you're lucky enough to have a living WW2 vet still in your family - let them know you love 'em.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My Great Uncle on my Mom's side was on the beach that day and made it all the way to Berlin and then back to Kentucky. He died about 8 years ago. He used to get togather with friends every year on this day and my cousin has a few newspaper articals about it.
      He never talked about it to me except that he hated sand and never left Kentucky again. I had another cousin on my Mom's side that was lost on June 5th, he was 17 and married, his wife died a few years ago and never re-married.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
        My Great Uncle on my Mom's side was on the beach that day and made it all the way to Berlin and then back to Kentucky. He died about 8 years ago. He used to get togather with friends every year on this day and my cousin has a few newspaper articals about it.
        He never talked about it to me except that he hated sand and never left Kentucky again. I had another cousin on my Mom's side that was lost on June 5th, he was 17 and married, his wife died a few years ago and never re-married.
        Hahaha, just think my Grandfather could have been shooting grenades at your great Uncle......My grandfather was stationed in France near the end of the war, though he was fighting for the other side..... And he wouldn't talk about it either..............

Comment

My unlce Pete was there, then shortly after discharged for abusing German prisoners..wonder why. Uncle Pete loved to tell stories, out of all my relatives I miss him and my grandpa the most...grandpa was in the Pacific...

There were 14 borthers and sisters, I have a copy of a congressional citation addressed to my great grandma thanking her for her sacrifices during the war, of the 14, 12 were boys of age...and all served at the same time...they all came home too. All too soon the greatest generation will be gone forever, that will be a dark day.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I still lookup history to remind myself.

generalizing everything and everybody is as absurd as arctic weather gear in hawaii.

omaha was a tragedy, and even admitted mistakes by intelligence.

specifically narrowing down the big day, that is what I think of in remembrance.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'd certainly call him if he could answer. My grandfather was of the 11th Armored Thunderbolts, and while not there on that famous day, he and his men did their part. I'll never forget the honor and respect shown to him at his funeral where my cousin presented my grandmother with a flag. "Grandma, on behalf of myself and the US military..."
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                I'd certainly call him if he could answer. My grandfather was of the 11th Armored Thunderbolts, and while not there on that famous day, he and his men did their part. I'll never forget the honor and respect shown to him at his funeral where my cousin presented my grandmother with a flag. "Grandma, on behalf of myself and the US military..."

Damn allergy's..........
                Thats awsome what an honor.

Comment

My step grandfather, Fred Ireland, was there. He was a front line surgeon on Omaha Beach. He was there in the sand trying to patch kids up while under fire himself.

On the 20th anniversary of D Day, he went back and met a German soldier who was there defending the beach. They became friends. They were still friends on the 50th anniversary when Peter Jennings of ABC News interviewed the both of them. (BTW, decent news coverage died with Jennings.) I have it on VHS around here somewhere.

Fred wrote a book in his later years that was published just before he died. "Shadows on the Wall".
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That's great to have that history documented Scott. My father went ashore with MacArthur in the Phillipines. He would talk about social stuff but not the fighting. Lost him 15 years ago this Fathers Day to pnacreatic cancer so I can't make the call either, but I damn sure would like to...
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                      That's great to have that history documented Scott. My father went ashore with MacArthur in the Phillipines. He would talk about social stuff but not the fighting. Lost him 15 years ago this Fathers Day to pnacreatic cancer so I can't make the call either, but I damn sure would like to...
                      I wouldve loved to talk to him, my other step granfather who flew P-38's during WWII and flying boxcars during the Berlin airlift. Not to mention my mothers father who was stationed at Pearl at the time of the attack, trained bomber pilots early in the war, flew himself and finally commanded the 381st in England. He died before I was born. He made it through all that only to get polio after the war.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Lot's of awesome history in this thread. This thread is also the most discussion I heard of the anniversary all day. That includes two different workplaces and all the social media a kid my age can endure. Cheers gents.
                        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I wake up, think about all those boys who gave their lives so an old man like me can live.
                          I never forget, as it is also my birthday..
                          Remember Hitler got rid of the handicapped as well as the jewish and blacks
                          Yes, those boys in WW2 had it rough... My dad served in the Pacific... Never talked about it..brought home some gory pics..
                          Jumpy guy, he was..

Comment

Working...
                          X